Dark Angels used to have another name?

So I'm reading through my copy of Extermination and in the Alpha Legion section it says :-

"...each nascent proto-Legion after the primus legion or 1st Legion  (later the Angelis Tenebraium or Dark Angels) was raised first to active servince in a staged process of testing and trials before the full active force was created through mass recruitment."

That to me appears to suggest the Dark Angels used to go by the Angelis Tenedraium but also that the Legion was in fact rushed straight into service with no testing or trial process before it recruited on a massive scale.

What do you think?

Actually, I will disagree and agree with Semper. When DA are released in whichever HH book (4,5,6....), we may find out they utilized a different name on Terra. Until then, I am Schrödinger's cat.

Angelis Tenebraium literally means "angel(s) of dark (darkness)" in Latin.

It's really no different than naming Space Sharks "Carcharodon Astra", which would roughly be "sharp/jagged tooth (meaning of the genus name of the Great White Shark in Greek) [of the] stars".

It's just a fancy way of naming the Legion/Chapter, not a different name at all. Prior to being renamed the Dark Angels, the only name they were ever given (up to this point - could change in future books if the authors so choose) was The 1st or The 1st Legion.

Archived