Why I may [or may] not be concerned about 7th Ed.

SvenONE

I'm sure by now that despite all of our ETL3 foundries going full gas, we've heard word trickling into our individual Rocks of the initial 7th edition rules.

• New Psychic Phase
  • Battle Forged and Unbound Lists
  • New Dynamic Objectives

The biggest thing everyone is harping on is obviously the Battle-Forged vs Unbound angle, the thought that there are going to be FOC-less armies of nonsense running around the world of 40K is quite disconcerting.  Especially since I don't think our Codex really benefits from the unbound list (the WD article talks about Riptide/Broadside Tau lists, and a Forgefiend/Heldrake/Defiler army, good luck to those people ever finding games).

But supposedly you'll receive bonuses for playing by the FOC in a Battle Forged list and there will be dynamic objectives.  That's something I think is interesting.  I've long disliked our Grim Resolve chapter tactic, it's always felt more of a penalty than a perk.  It decreases our chances of fleeing and capitalizing on one of the greatest USRs in the game (ATSNKF).  I stopped playing GW-centric lists because I found that I was playing with marines who would just die before the end of a game unable to secure an objective because the world of IGNORES COVER would rain down on them.

But with the way scoring will be done (it's obviously still unclear) it looks like our good ol' Stubborn 1st Legion might be able to benefit from this.    If there's anything we are good at, it's staying put.  We form perhaps the most sturdy and resilient gun-line of the Space Marine chapters and of course have our fearless Terminators.  I think RW lists and their mobility can really have potential to score objectives easily each turn, and whatever these in-game bonuses could be a HUGE boon to Deathwing lists that I think need something to make them a little more viable in 6th's games.

Of course, these bonuses may not be enough to overcome an Unbound list of 10 Flying Hive Tyrants but there's still a lot to be hashed out.  As the title says, I'm hesitant to make a judgement call (it wouldn't be responsible to do so) but I think in our own little way we can have some fun with our codex and this new edition.

Well I'm not too worried, I feel that most things can only change in our favor. As far as the lists go, I guess thats down to the people you play with as I doubt anyone I play with would create 'cheat' or spam-lists.

I must say I actually quite like Grim Resolve so far, can't recall a battle where I felt it was a negative thing.

Only thing that would worry me is the change to psychic powers/phase, as divination/prescience is quite a big part of my lists usually. If they'd change that without improving things in other parts of the army that would definitely make me doubt the viability of DA. I'd love a change to power selection however, as the randomness of the powers just annoys me like mad (and usually means I'm sticking to lvl 1 librarians).

All in all, as said I think things could mainly only improve for us through possible changes in FAQ, better synergy with Fortifications and so on.

I agree with you Cyfax. If they remove prescience as the primaris of divination, DA will loose one of the biggest difference between them and Vanilla SM, and of course, they will become worser than them. (If we arent so bad at the moment tongue.png)

PD: Sorry for my english msn-wink.gif

We're not more worse than Vanilla's we're... more vehically challenged than Vanilla's. We just use superior skills to over come Vanilla's one we honed during 5th edition when we were using 4th edition Codex... Nothing new. its just Primal Envy you could say. Son's of Lion were First and are First and will be First. That will cause rest envy the First Borns. But onto topic, I am not worried what 7th edition will bring. I shall adapt my lists accordingly and aim to have fun and kill massive number of my enemies :D

You guys are assuming that we may not get something back to balance Prescience moving to a "roll for" power.  Or even if that rumor is true...  They recalled all the cards so who is to say that the powers are not getting a total re-vamp with FAQs for individual codexes saying which "new" powers go with which codex...   

Short version: DON'T PANIC! and dont forget your towel...

Agreed, except towel part. Heureka moments with towel aren't quite the same than without towels...

You guys are assuming that we may not get something back to balance Prescience moving to a "roll for" power.  Or even if that rumor is true...  They recalled all the cards so who is to say that the powers are not getting a total re-vamp with FAQs for individual codexes saying which "new" powers go with which codex...   

Agreed, they would probably change it and give something in return. However, the problem with prescience is perhaps that its not just the DA that have access to it but other codexes as well. E.g. it's vital for DA but Eldar have access to it as well. Now lets say it's considered too strong for them, so prescience gets adjusted because of Eldar but it hurts DA possibly even more.

It's obviously purely guessing, and I sure won't be panicking over it, but I do see it as a very possible outcome. (The we change this because of army A, but forget army B gets hurt by it too) Either way I play my DA because of the fluff/coolness factor, so unless it becomes absolutely horrible to play I won't be bothered most likely.

Agreed, they would probably change it and give something in return. However, the problem with prescience is perhaps that its not just the DA that have access to it but other codexes as well. E.g. it's vital for DA but Eldar have access to it as well. Now lets say it's considered too strong for them, so prescience gets adjusted because of Eldar but it hurts DA possibly even more.

It's obviously purely guessing, and I sure won't be panicking over it, but I do see it as a very possible outcome. (The we change this because of army A, but forget army B gets hurt by it too) Either way I play my DA because of the fluff/coolness factor, so unless it becomes absolutely horrible to play I won't be bothered most likely.

I model DA because it was and always will be my first army. I can't say I'll ever play again. I don't like apocalypse.

My only concern about 7th is that We Will not be on the cover anymore (BA is rumored) and that DV Will be discontinued in few months (i bought another one and sold the CSM to have more cheap DW and BK)...

We Will have still the coolest looking SM models and a average codex...

I wait in one month or two new errata/FAQs before saying anything...

My only concern about 7th is that We Will not be on the cover anymore (BA is rumored) and that DV Will be discontinued in few months (i bought another one and sold the CSM to have more cheap DW and BK)...

We Will have still the coolest looking SM models and a average codex...

I wait in one month or two new errata/FAQs before saying anything...

We're still in the starter set and cover, according to 40k radio.

However, we do have the best unit in the game - Black Knights. The only weakness is flyers (and barely so, as a librarian on a bike means they have twin-linked plasma guns and possibly ignore cover vs a flyer. It only takes 1 hit).

Aside from a flyer, find me a unit they can't remove from play in 1 turn.

Trying to keep this in a DA perspective and not end up in a discussion of 7th:

Unbound: Not an issue. Either we gain battleforged bonus or we play for teh dynamic objectives. If push comes to shove we can unbound as well. I have 6 dreadnoughts and each one can have a character with PFG behind. And if the characters are librarians I get a nice, nice psykic phase.

Psychic phase: We have psykers and we usually take them. We might get different powers but well have a definite advantage over most armies that don't even have them.

All in all 7th may not be so bad for DA.

But it's too soon to be sheltering from the falling sky. We know close to nothing.. just don't go to the news and rumors thread of B&C and you'll be alot more happy and less stressed.

Yeah Luci, I was trying to keep it DA related.  I think playing objectives is going to really favor us a lot more with Dynamic Objectives.  We have mobility and stubborn/fearlessness to keep us from being shot off objectives.  

I agree unbound doesn't feel like it affects us, our codex has a lot of flexibility as far as what we can take in a list as a troop or fa/elite slots, so we'll most likely be running battleforged armies for whatever bonuses they are.  I wonder if the rumor about %ages in the FOC is how the Battle-Forged Bonuses will be applied.  Something like: if your troops make up 40% or more of your list, all units gain Feel No Pain (I can dream can't I????).  Meaning you're more then welcome to follow the usual FOC but you'll only get the bonuses if you're creating lists that aren't say Heavy Support/Elite/FA top-heavy.

Unbound: Asmodai, Ezekiel, Belial, and 1/6 of our other HQ have a Warlord trait that gives you a VP if you slay the opponent's warlord.  What if your opponent has no warlord? Or their warlord is a Heldrake?

From all the rumors are saying, the objectives is also what I'm most looking forward to.

We've always been good at getting to a spot and wrecking face...but keeping it ain't so easy due to our low model count. If now the mission shifts towards cracking things up or double-scoring if you take the opponents objectives...it'll make life easier for us.

That being said, I'm not spending another cent on a GW book: I'm pretty tired about their cash grabbing impositions.

Like many, I use to buy every single codex. In 6th, only DA. I regret getting stronghold and pandorax, that was totally a "bling blindness" (good work there GW!)

As usual, we don't worry that much about how it'll affect DA when a new set hits the boards...we'll probably keep on trucking as usual :)

Malefic demonology has it's downsides I guess. It was a test game, so no cause for alarm...

The text shows a WILL of summoning the GD actually so I'd rather say that he castes a spell for that.

Huzza for wyrdvane psykers! Let's summon a squad of Bloodthirsters!

To me, it just shows that there is no more restricted domain for each race. You pick deamonology as well as divination wether you are an eldar or a have tyrant

I mean I don't know about you guys, but when I play my Dark Angels, I play the part.  Abhorring Chaos, accusing my opponents of knowing where said Fallen are (playing a Chaplain HQ is the best for this), cursing filthy Xenos.  If there's anything I WONT do, it's to allow a Daemon through the warp using my sacred Librarian as a conduit....

It was a test game, guys. It might as well have said "High Flane Moga-Mooba" for all it means. They wanted to see how the rule played out.

If you see it happen in a BL publication, then there's a fluff problem. This is the same Tyranid Hive that was menacing the Tau a few moons back, if they were really sticking to a story, how the heck did the DA get there? It's not like the Tau can go very far very fast and they are on the other side of the galaxy from where the Rock has been recently.

I also like ADB's "in realm" style explanation of this occurrence.

Archived