Why I may [or may] not be concerned about 7th Ed.

SvenONE

It is the plight of the Dark Angel player to endure their rules.  The codex is hardly flawless, but I think being able to play objectives DURING a game, rather than the last turn should really open up a lot for DA player.

That's the overwhelming feeling I have about 7th. Our codex is well designed enough that at worst we can expect it to stay about the same no matter how the basic rules change. On the other hand I don't have enough faith in GW to make changes that swing army balance toward equality (competitive) or encourage players to make lists that reflect how things work in the fluff (narrative).

In the end for us, status quo will reign. We will continue to do what we always do, hunt the fallen and deathwing assault/hit and run/hold the line.

1. 4ed consolidate in to combat is in. Meaning DWK and DW can hop from CC to CC

2. If you fail to cast a power you can't cast it the rest of the game. Fair enough.

3. Every unit including vehicles will now score. MSU Ravenwing

4. Unbound armies may not contest objectives

5. Lords of war are in

6. Escalation and stronghold remain as they are now

7. Vehicles will be harder to kill the chart changes once more. Good for our fragile speeders

8. The book will come out in 3 options Art like warhammer visions, Fluff book, and one that only contains rules and that one is about as think as the current SM book.

9.difficult terrain is just -2 inches

10. Wound allocation has changed a bit.not super clear as to how.

11. D-weapons toned down but he was unclear as what that meant so from the sounds of it they will still be super ugly. --

Bold comments by me.

So looks like 7th may not be the end of DA. msn-wink.gif

The first point is huge. As someone who really enjoys assault, I felt 6th was the polar opposite of 3rd. This is great news.(if true!)

On point 3-4, I still have to wonder, does wiping out your opponent (or a turn where your opponent doesn't have a model on the table) still mean an automatic win? If so, I guess that would be the main reason for playing an unbound army. .... just to go for tabling your opponent. '

In the White Dwarf article they talk about scenarios that have objective scoring cumulative by turn. That makes a normal force org VERY powerful as long as you can hold off being wiped by something really goofy. (Again, it depends on the rule for wiping your opponent/not having models on table.)

I'm also still very curious to hear if the rule of 50% on the table will still hold true.

D weapons -had- to be toned down. That would be the goto unbound army of choice otherwise. However, I will say playing my Deathwing and Ravenwing against the new Deathstrike Missile from IG is really sick. First game I tried right after deep striking I lost 12 of 15 terminators the turn they came in from the 10" plate. I consider the Deathstrike as potent as any single model I may face in 7th... until the next codex comes out. lol

Came across a pretty cool 7th Ed teaser picture relating to us, while browsing Dakka:

gallery_29113_9615_2525.jpg

Edit: I think this is a free poster that comes with the White Dwarf Weekly, possibly this weeks edition. I might have to buy a White Dwarf after all...

I hope this picture was of said marine shooting the ever-living crap out of whoever decided to let Ezekiel toss his Bloodthirster pokeball.

1. 4ed consolidate in to combat is in. Meaning DWK and DW can hop from CC to CC This was not the way to fix assault armies.

2. If you fail to cast a power you can't cast it the rest of the game. Fair enough.

3. Every unit including vehicles will now score. MSU Ravenwing

4. Unbound armies may not contest objectives

5. Lords of war are in Oh sweet God Emperor no

6. Escalation and stronghold remain as they are now As in optional?

7. Vehicles will be harder to kill the chart changes once more. Good for our fragile speeders/LSV just got a whole lot better

8. The book will come out in 3 options Art like warhammer visions, Fluff book, and one that only contains rules and that one is about as think as the current SM book.

9.difficult terrain is just -2 inches Why did that change?

10. Wound allocation has changed a bit.not super clear as to how. But the directional allocation worked

11. D-weapons toned down but he was unclear as what that meant so from the sounds of it they will still be super ugly. -- And have no place in standard 40k

Bold comments by me.

So looks like 7th may not be the end of DA. msn-wink.gif

Underlined comments are mine. I am of mixed feelings about 7th. On one hand there seems to be a balance between shooting and assault but on the other the merging of 40k and apoc just doesn't sit right with me.

So concludes my "the sky is either falling or it is raining really hard" post

If the rumors are true the now useful Librarian will likely get the dunce hat, and the Chaplain/Interrogator-Chaplain will be the HQ of choice besides special characters.

Maybe not... you could probably use a cheap library as a psyker counter. It's only 65 points after all.

Morning ladies and gents,

just watched the video Diavlo posted and have to admit the idea of different organisations does sound intriguing. didnt really like the idea of un-bound force when i read it but stating in the video that its more linked to fluff does sound like a step in the right direction. for instance, the IG have tank companies and you could field those a few years back (sort of, with infantry. cant remember off hand if they still can though) so think making the armies fluff orientated if you want (like myself) is a good idea.

as for my DA, does that not mean we can field DA/DW/RW as all three options? battled forged with our characters allowing associated troop selections, un-bound (same army, just dont need the character to take it) and formations (assuming their similar to apocalypse?), which we already get formations for anyway. that would give us access to the advantages of all three army selections right?

liking the sound of it so far but waiting to see next weeks WD before i commit one way or the other.

thanks guys.

If the rumors are true the now useful Librarian will likely get the dunce hat, and the Chaplain/Interrogator-Chaplain will be the HQ of choice besides special characters.

Maybe not... you could probably use a cheap library as a psyker counter. It's only 65 points after all.

That would be something if you ran into psykers all of the time, but otherwise a "just in case" unit that is not all that useful isn't much worth taking.  I've alwys liked psykers, but we may see them put back on the shelves if all of the psychic use rumors prove to be true.

Now, if the Consolidation rumor proves to be true, a variety of good things happen for us, namely with all Deathwing units and Black Knights/RW Command Squads.

but we may see them put back on the shelves if all of the psychic use rumors prove to be true.

I think the exact contrary. 40k sounds to have a WHFB-like magic phase... And I've never seen a WHFB army going to battle without a sorcerer (except the dwarves of course ;) )

Interesting video Diavlo posted, it says there's 2 more, where did you get the first link???

Also, it looks like one of the bonuses is getting to re-roll on the Warlord Trait table, I think for DA using general HQs this isn't so bad, but for the generic BRB Warlord table that's kinda snooze.  Guess we'll be seeing more this week.

You know what, I never even thought of that.  If the rumour is true then Jink is going up to 4+, and if you're camping an objective then only snap firing isn't that big of a deal anyways.

Jink just got better and worse (assuming truth) for aggressive RW forces ;But now if you choose to jink you survive 16% more to shoot but do nothing (58% less) when you do, quite the dilemma no.gif.

But of course two marker-lights negates 4+ just as well as a 5+ and you then arrive in pieces and do bugger all anyway. No real change msn-wink.gif

Depending on the opponent it may be worthwhle to jink or not. In any case despite being worse, bikes have twin linked weapons that help with snapshots. I think it is a fair trade altough i would prefer jink to remain as is. But if it hurts us, it hurts other bike forces as well. Tacticswill have to change and i think its always good.

IF our RW Will be nerfed by the new jink i Will go with DW+GW instead smile.png

OMG... I was thinking... RWGL is a blast weapon when you use the rad,or stasis grenades and blast weapons cannot be used if you snapshot...

So this means that to use rad grenades BK/RWCS cannot jink...

And we still pay them 40/42 points per model...

+++merged posts. CL+++

It's nt the end of the world.. they still have T5 and 3+ saves. If you have a libby on bike with pfg then they don't need jink...

With every edition, stuff gets better and stuff gets worse.

I hope we Will get good boosts then...

But hope is the first step to disillusion...

Archived