Placement of droppod and landing in terrain

markham82

Hi guys

Is it allowed to place my droppod on top of another droppod/unit when arriving from reserve. I can't find anything saying I'm not allowed to do that, all I have to do is move it the minimum distance to land safe for a hit and if it scatters it don't matter.

Second thing is, if the droppod lands in terrain it has to do a dangerous terrain test since it moved( falled to be more accurate) into the terrain correct?

1 - you can only reduce scatter with inertial guidance, not increase it.  So placing the Drop Pod in a position it cannot land before rolling for scatter is asking for trouble.

2 - yes, you take a dangerous terrain test if a pod lands in difficult or dangerous terrain (just like any other non-walker vehicle) with a 1 causing the pod to lose a hull point (as it's already immobile).

3 - Remember that difficult and dangerous terrain has no effect on inertial guidance.  Only impassable terrain and models cause inertial guidance to activate.

Thanks, you're awesome.

I see now that it's a bad idea, but out of curiosity, what is the result if you place your droppod on another unit and it doesn't scatter?  

You can't avoid it with inertial guidance, because you would need to increase your scatter rather than reduce it, which you cannot do.  You therefore cannot place the model in a legal position, so mishap.

3 - Remember that difficult and dangerous terrain has no effect on inertial guidance.  Only impassable terrain and models cause inertial guidance to activate.

Worth quoting as many people are ignorant of this bit.

well you can't even try, the rules say that you cannot finish your move within 1" of an enemy model, on top of is within 1" therefore it is not a legal position. It is not even a case of a mishap as far as I understand it, you just can't do it

well you can't even try, the rules say that you cannot finish your move within 1" of an enemy model, on top of is within 1" therefore it is not a legal position. It is not even a case of a mishap as far as I understand it, you just can't do it

As you don't finish your move until after the scatter roll I don't think you are prevented from doing this.

As you don't finish your move until after the scatter roll I don't think you are prevented from doing this.

Morollan is correct in that  you can do it.

However, if we insert a little bit of tactics into the discussion - it's just not a viable tactic to use.

Placing the pod in a legal (and advantageous) position is the sensible thing to do, just like it's sensible to avoid placing the pod (before scatter) too close to a table edge.

Common sense is a useful thing to have.  Just because you can do something does not mean you necessarily should.

I was just following on from your post with some elaboration as to why , while it is possible, it's almost certainly a poor tactic to use.

That's all.

Note:  Above post edited to make this a little clearer ;)

Well, this is just an example of the rules becoming more lax from 5th to 6th.

In 5th, you were explicitly stopped from being able to place a deep striking unit in impassible terrain or within 1" of an enemy mini as the initial position (prior to scatter).

It seems that this restriction has gone, and you could do this in 6th.

You'd just have to hope you scatter, as if you don't you mishap.

I can see that as a tool to delay the Drop Pod first wave actually. Let's say that my opponent has kept a lot of his army in reserve after seeing that I will do a Drop Pod assault, then I may want to place only 1 Pod on the table, rather than 2. I place the model on an enemy unit and pray I don't scatter.

Risky, but can be done. Although, if my opponent is putting half of his army in reserves to "shield" the Drop Pod assault, then I'm so going trying to table him !

• 2 weeks later...

Landing on the enemy thru scatter = system guides away. Landing on your own units = Is that a mishap or not?

Sorry. I edited this because it had made no sense previously.

The rule states "another model (friend or foe)", Codex: Space Marines, pg 99, Inertial Guidance System.

Edit: I don't have my new rulebook with me, and they did a lot of copy and paste, but I didn't think to check to see if Deep Striking allows you to deliberately put them in a Mishap situation.

I think in previous versions, they assumed you would use normal Movement rules for placing a model in the first place.

Archived