Belial & 4x2LC

Very killy. My problem with lighting claws is that they either kill (almost) everything they touch then get shot, or get tar-pitted by a 2+ save or dreadnought. If I'm giving up the tactical flexibility of a ranged attack I want to at least retain the full potential of the power fist. With that in mind, I suggest that you give the heavy flamer guy a chainfist too.

I expect they'll make a mess of most monstrous creatures however, so if that's a niche you need to fill go for it.

Twin claw Deathwing models are a pretty rare sight on battlefields nowadays - nearly a whole squad, even rarer.

I'm not sure why as their AP3 and shred is great for chopping most things apart from 2+ save and vehicle models.

Back to the models: I've always thought twin claw DW termies just look so awesome sauce. And strangely I was getting a few ready for an ETL vow ^_^.

Cheers

I

It boils down to what you are fighting. Other Terminators, Riptides.. even broadsides have a good chance against Claw Terms. Against low T, 3+  models the claws do great... but against T5+ or 2+ armor they fail in usefulness.

My DW Tactica in my sig has useful stats on TH/SS Vs SOS VS Claws.

I used to run twin Lightning Claws almost exclusively in my assault Terminators.

Until we were given Deathwing Knights.

Belial and his unit should always be aiming for the enemy's nastiest unit. With this in mind Deathwing Knights are only 10? points more expensive than a Deathwing squad with Heavy Flamer. For this, you get Hammer of Wrath, Toughness 5 for every model with correct model placement, Precision Strike on every model, Weapon Skill 5, AND Strength 10 AP 2 for one turn (for that dangerous enemy unit).

Don't forget that a Deathwing Sergeant can't swap his weapons for Lightning Claws.

While I love Lightning Claws, Deathwing Knights are just that much more dangerous.

I understand the scoring/non scoring debate over knights. I view them as a sacrificial unit. Kill the toughest thing on the board and then draw fire. Screening scoring units with landraiders with PFGs and flooding one side of the board seems to work well.

Plus I think knights have a niche that th/ss terms don't have. They kill other terms. Striking first at ap2 wrecks other terms. While this may not seem like a huge deal, having a marine opponent that has one unit of terms and a dozen non-term units he can trade his unit for one of yours and still have everything he needs to win.. With such expensive units and such a low model count you cannot.

Take all comers lists should avoid lightning claws since you really don't want your 220+ unit to be ineffective when you're facing fast opponents who can avoid them or opponents w/ lots of 2+ armor saves. However, if you know you're going up against Orks or Necrons or infantry-heavy Guard or any opponent w/ a low initiative and/or lots of bodies, LCs are devastating.

LCs give a higher probability of wounding T3 than even Belial's fleshbane sword.

Archived