First time painter. Night Lords

Vich

Hey all. Not sure if this is the right sub-forum to be posting this in but if not please feel free to move it. A little background on what I am here for. At almost 30 I am kind of a late starter on the whole war games thing. I have never painted models of any describtion before so go easy on me. At this stage i'm still not sure wether I will actually game or wether I just intend to paint the miniatures... we will see. The thinking behind this post is to get critique on my work(dangerous on the internet I know). I plan to do an update with pictures a couple of days a week and the elders here hopefully give me pointers/Criticisms and ways to improve along the way. As I know no one else that paints figured this is going to be the only way I am going to get any better. Have almost completed my first miniature of a csm I bought pre primed from fleabay. will get some pictures up hopefully this evening and lets go from there. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Vich

Welcome to B&C and don't be worried about posting. Like you said, the best way to improve is through feedback from others.

And this really is the right place for you to post this too. Look forward to seeing some pics and don't be scared to ask questions :tu:

As Forte says don't worry about posting pictures of your work as everyone here are supportive and helpful with regards to painting. The only criticism you'll recieve will be constructive with the intention of aiding the progression of your painting to a level that you are happy with. :)

I also started painting late and the advice from forums like this are extremely helpful. Also not much of a gamer, just a few weekends a year. Look forward to seeing some Night Lords, and remember the main point is to enjoy yourself.

You've come to the best place on the net I have found as far as advice and constructive criticism is concerned. Everyone from professional painters to hobby painters are usually here to help with advice. Good luck.

I'm going to echo Thunor and say it's all about enjoying what you are doing.

You have already taken the first step in choosing the right Legion :)

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140510_215834_zpsxvx3sb2u.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140510_215900_zpsfsfwvuyz.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140510_215844_zpsjox5xvk5.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140510_215852_zpspikvirvr.jpg

Pictures as promised. Quick run down of whats on there. Base of kantor blue, doombull brown and then balthasar gold for the gold.... leadbelcher for the metal and mephiston red for the eyes. No washes used but have nuln oil at my disposal. Any pointers welcomed. Thanks in advance. Vich

Hey dude, took care of those links for you :tu:

From Photobucket, be sure to click/copy the 'Direct Link' when getting the code, it's the second one down,

gallery_48988_6285_1446872.png

then here in the B&C, click the little 'Picture' icon in the posting task-bar, its just below the smiley.

Onto your Night Lord, it's better than my first model ever was. Do you own either a Blue wash or Nuln Oil? hitting your model with either of those will darken it a little an add instant depth to those recessed areas. Also, it looks like that blue is straight over your black undercoat? For Night Lords after the black I'll give it a coat of 'Necron Abyss' (its from the old range, I believe Kantor Blue is the new equivelant) before the next painting the next blue onto the raised areas, leaving Abyss in the recesses.

Cheers,

Jono

I just use the "IMG" option on photobucket, and then just paste it into the post. I think it works out the same, either way.

The model looks very clean, albeit a bit flat and bland. I'll second Grotsmasha's idea for a wash.

Also, try and track down one of GW's old moldline scrapers. They're wonderful for getting rid of moldlines and other imperfections.

In any case, not a bad attempt for your first time. I remember mine, oh gods were they horrible.

That's a good start, especially for a first timer!

There's a few things that can be done to improve it, the most basic having been mentioned.

The most important being dealing with the mould lines, having them can really ruin a model in my opinion, especially when you start aiming for high quality finishes. From a painting perspective, they also messes with washes and drybrushing.

A wash wouldn't go amiss here, and neither would a highlight on the raised areas.

You certainly show a lot of promise for a novice, there's no real mistakes here per se, it's more additions that you could do to really bring out the model.

Oh, and basing! Get yourself some fine-grain sand or tiny little stones and a bit of static grass, it can really bring a model to life.

Keep going!!

Awesome. Thanks very much for the advice so far. As far as mould lines go I bought the models pre based/ undercoated from ebay as I knew they were not going to be a complete sucess I thought I'd save myself some hard earned. I have a nuln oil wash I will apply over the model and will get on some basing sand when I have funds. I'm guessing the GW basing set is over priced? Thanks very much for sorting the links also Smasha. Thanks again. Vich

Also for the highlights if I am using kantor blue as a base is there another colour I should be highlighting with? Or a paint I should be mixing with the kantor blue? Also should I be applying a wash before or after the highlight coat? Thanks again.

Excellent first attempt! In addition to what everyone else is saying for adding depth make sure to double check your paint coverage. There are a couple of spots you missed on the model and you can see the base paint through them. I would also add an extra color to the hilt of the chainsword and the casing of the bolt pistol. That'll help with the depth. As you get more confident with your modeling skills you should look into getting a small dremel (hand held kind, not the electric ones) and drill out the barrels of your weapons.

For the wash you might want to try Drakenhof Nightshade over Nuln Oil. What paints do you use? Vallejo's Game Colour line has a Night Blue (very dark) and an Imperial Blue (pretty dark), that might suit the VIII better, the one you're using looks a touch light to me, but that sort of thing is entirely down to personal preference, they're your models.

As others have said, for a first attempt it's decent. If nothing else, it's pretty neat and none of the detail seems to have been obscured by glooping on excessively thick paint which are common problems/mistakes for beginners.

You may or may not be aware, but there has been a feth-load of awesome Night Lord threads on the B & C recently, the best of which is probably Brother Heinrichs

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/278092-night-lords-15th-company-here-be-daemons-pg51/

Best of luck with your future work.

Have gw paints currently but like the idea of vallejo paints for the dropper bottles. And the kantor blue looks dark under normal lighting but with the flash on the camera comes out quite light. I may condider vallejo paints eventually but finances are the limiting factor yet again. As for the missed areas again they only showed up under flash also the light in my painting area/dining table isn't the best. Will get back on it tonight with the feedback given and see what the outcome is. Thanks again. Vich

I have drakenof nightshade as a wash too so will try that instead and is there anything in the gw range I could use for highlights on top of kantor blue? I may get lucky and have it amongst my limited paint selection.

For a first time that is pretty much perfectly base coated. Clean and smooth. I won't mention mould lines as you've already touched on that.

From where it is now I'd go with an all over wash of your Nuln Oil. Don't let it pool though (this is where you get little puddles) but make sure it's nice and even. Once that is fully dry you can go over it again with more Nuln but in the darker areas.

Am I going to get hugely different results with nuln oil over drakenof nightshade? As I have both at my disposal and both have been mentioned.

Upon reading back through the comments morning mentioned a different colour on the sword/bolter. Should this be a darker or lighter colour to clarify? I used leadbelcher currently. But have runefang steel and ironbreaker metallics also.

Archived