First time painter. Night Lords

Vich

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140511_145003_zpsnbscwfid.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140511_145032_zpsfggb3rci.jpg

Couple of pictures of what will be my first from scratch models built up whilst my marine is drying from his touch up and wash.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140511_153630_zpstoasoiil.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/20140511_153529_zpshpfm1yts.jpg

One hopefully updated and improved chaos space marine touched up areas where paint wasn't perfect and applied (hopefully right) a wash of drakenof nightshade. One thing im unsure of should I be using nuln oil on the weapons? As I did the whole mini in the same wash.

Will abaddon black be ok? And is that pre or post shading? Sorry for all the questions but I like to absorb as much as I can from those more knowledgeable. And thanks very much Bam it's nothing compared to alot of guys here but I like to do anything to the best of my ability.

Ah sound I was under the impression he meant they needed to be 2 tone rather than all one color. And haha at the lightning comment. Going to paint a few more minis and get the shading right first before I ruin my hard work with crappy lightning. That and I don't have the paint. Will make that next months aim. As for the wash did I apply it liberally and even enough? As I was unsure on the desired effect.

Yep, liberally is good, with washes, what gives away excessive use is pooling on the flat surfaces, and I didn't notice any pooling on your Night Lord. Looks like you''ve lucked out and hit the nail on the head first go.

Cheers,

Jono

Try it out, practice. For mine I use two heavy washes of Nuln Oil across the whole model. This is to darken the grey to nearly black and dirty up the metal. Then I go back over the edges with the original base colours.

What I've done on my first model is try a few different things and then end up redoing it if not happy. Better then than several squads in.

Lucked out..... pure skill there haha. But no glad it's a good covering was concious to not let it pool so kept it moving into the recesses. Will go back over the weapons in nuln oil in a bit and see how that looks. Bit unsure on what areas I should be repainting to highlight so will leave that for now.

You can use the Nuln Oil to paint lines into the crevices of the model, such as where the blue meets the bronze trim.

This helps makes both parts stand out more.

Sweet thanks for that freak with have a play with nuln oil tomorrow. Finished building my raptor squad tonight so nothing new to report on the marine front.

Thanks for both sources guys. Have to say I think the night lords in bams link look a little light. I'm still a bit unsure on what colours I should be using. The most comprehensive one I found a few weeks back on this board is now not loading saying there is a database issue. And another source I found is still using old paint colours.

With a highlight from the vallejo range also forte? Thanks again.

Sorry, no. I build my highlights up by mixing my paints. For a dark blue I add a blue grey.

Ah ok. Was ideally looking for out of the bottle colours as I have no idea what I am doing mixing wise and want to make sure I get a uniform colour across all my minis. Is there a slightly paler colour than kantor blue? Or even somewhere I could get a full gw colour chart failing that.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/20140512_224555_zps62ee30f1.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/20140512_224618_zps669429fd.jpg

attempted highlights and another wash. Fairly happy with the metals but the armor looks shocking. That is with enchanted blue. Maybe to big of a colour change? Or just shocking technique? Haha

Am I going to get hugely different results with nuln oil over drakenof nightshade? As I have both at my disposal and both have been mentioned.

Hello smile.png

The latest pictures look very good! To answer the question about highlighting - I use Caledor sky for my blue armoured Marines (Kantor Sky base colour) after the aforementioned Drakenhof nightshade smile.png That's not to say that a different colour won't work - it's all down to personal preference. If this is your first time in the hobby, then perhaps a visit to the Swindon branch of GW is in order. Most GW's will have "tester" minis (models spray painted black - usually the snap together ones) to allow new hobbyists a chance to have a go at painting. If you ask, they could show you a trick or two and you wouldn't have to use one of your own msn-wink.gif

In any case, a very good start for a first try smile.png I'm glad my first mini (painted 25 years ago) no longer exists...oh the shame blink.png One last thing that should help - read as many WIP topics as possible. It might seem very daunting at first, but taking the time to look through others work really does help. The longer/older topics will show how much the poster has come along with their painting, something that will happen to you too. Also, a lot of posters get asked (and reply to) questions on how they did certain things and that will help a lot. One other way of improving is to look at the massive amount of video blogs on youtube, so you can actually see how painters paint their models.

tl:dr - a very good start. Take your time, look at others work and the most important thing - Have FUN! happy.png

I looked for both the colours you mention in your post Aqui to no avail. I found kantor blue but not sky. And kaledor sky? May just be me being a pleb. Cheers Vich.

Caledor Sky is in the Base range. It's a good one if paint Ultramarines or others where you want a more blue finish. I find using a grey works well to dull the blue a little and keep it a bit more midnight than blue.

Take a look through my work in progress thread (click on the image in my signature) as there's a Night Lord I did in there.

Archived