First time painter. Night Lords

Vich

I played around with Night Lords when trying to decide what to do (30k Legion rather than CSM). I went much darker, which was Kantor Blue, dry brushed a couple of times on top of a black base coat. Then I used (I think) Alaitoc blue for the edge highlights (similar to enchanted blue I think). Again, it comes down to what you feel like. Roughly I'd pick the general colour/shade you want the main model to be, then use a shade lighter (or mix a lighter colour in) for highlights and use a shade darker for the basecoat.

I'd be tempted to put another wash coat of Nuln oil on the weapons (but I use a lot of washes). I also find edge highlights can make a big difference (just running the tip of a brush across the hard edges, if you follow me).

That's how I do it anyway :)

PS the link in my signature has a Night Lord about half way down, just a couple of photos.

PPS don't get disheartened by some of the awesome work around (I know I expected to be able to paint to that standard and it annoys me I can't (yet)). I was amazed how I improved following practice and listening to experienced guys' advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all have been a bit busy of late so no real time to paint. Thought I'd throw a couple of pics out there of my wip raptor however to show I am trying to find time haha.Pre and post wash here. Cheers Vich.http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o713/zolpidems/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_14011118160127337_zpsartduxv2.jpg

Nice progress. Way, way better than my first models for sure. thumbsup.gif

As an advice,while it looks mighty fine as it is some edge highlights and a drilled bolt pistol will make it look even better. But that's nitpicking, you are on your way towards a very respectable looking army if you continue down the route you have taken.

Edge high lights are the next step. I attempted them on my first marine and looked terrible. So trying to find the right blue currently. And yeah the bolter thing was pointed out before. Will get on that come payday.

Hard to say what's the right blue to use since what people consider to be the 'midnight blue' of the Night Lords vary a bit , personally I use Alaitoc blue as my edge highlight and then tone it down a bit with a wash of Asurmen Blue (alas no longer available) but whatever feels right for you is the right colour so it sounds like a case of 'trial and error' to find the best solution

Hey man! Looking fine! I remember my first painted models looked closer to something you would dig out of your gutter, so these are excellent by comparison! Like others have said, adding highlights should be the next step, unless you want to further shade the models (between the banding and the regular blue on those chaos guys is always a good bet, to add more definition). However, since they are gonna be Night Lords, hitting them with the lightning effect could detract from any lack of highlight, if you don't wanna be bothered. Feel free to take a look at some of my pre-heresy Alpha Legion stuff, as the highlights there are pretty bold and the blue tone is what I would use for Night Lords as well. Gold is quite a bit easier nowadays with the fact that you can usually just paint it a bright gold, wash it, and maybe highlight it a bit before it looks set (before washes that was a pain in the censored.gif ). Looking very good, man! Keep it up!

Archived