Blood Brothers

Jorre

A little off topic but, I would have really liked to see GW run with the Erelim (even sound way better that Blood Brothers) that Andy Smillie wrote about in his (really) short story Gabriel Seth: The Flesh Tearer. He described them as being similar to chaplains but they were Astoraths honour guard so to speak, painted in all black apart from the chapter symbol on their poldrons and were as dark mirrors to the Sanguinary Guard who stood in the light with Dante... oh but i can dream smile.png Might have to make my own

You already have the option to take the Erelim (bottom of page 84 of your 5e codex....paint black).

V

Id much prefer a new unit which would be a mix of the Sanguinary Guard and Chaplain stats/rules that just "Black Honour Guard" :P or would that be too OP

A little off topic but, I would have really liked to see GW run with the Erelim (even sound way better that Blood Brothers) that Andy Smillie wrote about in his (really) short story Gabriel Seth: The Flesh Tearer. He described them as being similar to chaplains but they were Astoraths honour guard so to speak, painted in all black apart from the chapter symbol on their poldrons and were as dark mirrors to the Sanguinary Guard who stood in the light with Dante... oh but i can dream smile.png Might have to make my own

You already have the option to take the Erelim (bottom of page 84 of your 5e codex....paint black).

V

I just came up with an idea for the Honor Guard squad I have that has been sitting there waiting on paint for so long....

I'm not against the idea of a new unit, or the fluff expanding/getting improved, but if there's enough brothers who "have beaten the Black Rage" to warrant a new squad in-game...

This is a pretty huge assumption. As someone has mentioned, if 1% of battle brothers can defeat the Black Rage, that's still 100 battle brothers, or 10 per company. That's enough for me to feel pretty good about fielding a five or ten-man squad of Blood Brothers in my army. Sure, there's only one squad of these guys in the Knights of Blood Fifth Company - and all of them are here! That's fine by me. There's only one Dante or Mephiston in the entire galaxy, and I don't feel bad about putting him in my army. The situation could still be pretty grimdark if only 2% or 3% of those who succumb to the Rage can defeat it, and that's enough to double or triple the number.

It looks like GW is getting out of the telling us what we can and can't put on the table, and that's cool. But a single squad with an awesome backstory that defies the prior fluff? I'm cool with that. It's only a few battle brothers and a single squad on the table. That's fine.

How do you get those numbers? 1% of a chapter is 10 brothers, and the "Blood Brothers" would have to outlast a whole generation of marines falling to the Black Rage to even reach that number! Anyway, I think your argument is pretty valid. Of course you should be able to field anything that exists in the canon, no matter how rare the unit is. I just really hope they won't replace a unit that we already have. F'rex: "Blood Angels battle-brothers can only earn Veteran status by beating the Black Rage!"... ugh!

Erp. Bad math. It's not like I teach math or anything... I teach science o_0.

Archived