Need advice Bother of the I Legion!

Politix

I am purchasing two Land Raiders tomorrow for my DW Assault squads. LRCs or LRRs? Or and other suggestions... and please provide reasoning for something other than my two previous choices. 

Standard land raiders and the redeemer should be your two choices. The redeemer is better for melee dw units, the normal land raider is best for dakka based units.

The lrc's bonus isn't worth it and the lascannons are a weapon I'll suited for a land raider

I will already be fielding 2 Vindis and a Predator Annihilator + a Centurion dev squad ran pure range. I have 1 Dakka DW unit with a libby and Standard of Dev, 2 Assault units with combo TH/SS, a 2x LC. Cant decide of the TDA Interrogator Chappy will be with the SS or LC Unit. 

I am one of the few who prefer the Godhammer Land Raider. Lascannons have the range to be useful anywhere on the field. Whether you stay back or charge up into your opponents face, the long range of the lascannons will always be formidable. I feel the only drawback to the Godhammer is the transport capacity of only ten because it prevents us from attaching an HQ to our terminator squads. The frag assault launchers on the other two land raiders are not very useful for terminators squads. They are only a factor for the sergeant and only when assaulting a unit in cover. Since I play pure Deathwing, the Godhammer is the best way to go. Like Avoghai said, use magnets and change them as you see fit. yes.gif

I feel the only drawback to the Godhammer is the transport capacity of only ten because it prevents us from attaching an HQ to our terminator squads. The frag assault launchers on the other two land raiders are not very useful for terminators squads. They are only a factor for the sergeant and only when assaulting a unit in cover.

Unless you have 7 X DWK and a Int. Chappie in a LRC ;-)

DM

I plan on running one DW squad with 5x TH/SS With Int-Chappy in TDA in an LRC with HB setup. Another DW squad with 3xLC, AC, and SGT with power wep and SB in a LRC with TLLC. How does that sound?

Also considering dakka DW squad with SB/PF/CF with TDA Libby and Standard of Dev. Maybe in a drop pod. Thoughts?

This is a fun army not a crazy competitive army

I plan on running one DW squad with 5x TH/SS With Int-Chappy in TDA in an LRC with HB setup. Another DW squad with 3xLC, AC, and SGT with power wep and SB in a LRC with TLLC. How does that sound?

It sounds good to me. I would always recommend at least one crusader so you can carry a character with the unit, but like McFisty I find twin-linked lascannons very useful.

The way I prioritise the land raider's role is something like this:

1. transport terminators
  2. transport terminators
  3. draw ineffective fire
  4. shoot something with multi-melta
  5. shoot something with other weapons

My list so far is starting to become DW heavy. I want to multi wing with Azrael at the head. I was planning on 2 neph fighters. 2 RWK units. 2 vindis, 1 las pred. 2 LRC. 1 drop pod for tactical DW unit. Int chap in TDA. Jump Chappy with assault squad. 4 tact squads with various heavy weps. No scouts. The cent Dev squad will be in an allied detachment down the line. Command squad. Possibly bet squad but undecided.

Brothers, I need your advice to help me create this modular army capable of multiple different engagements.

Also have 2 libys, 1 additional PA Chappy to maybe fight in

1 Libby is in TDA btw

Deathwing cannot take Drop Pods. I would drop the Tactical squads if you are taking Azrael, he unlocks Terminators and Ravenwing Attack squadrons as troops, and therefore is more valuable leading a pure DeathRaven army.

I don't know what you have at your disposal, but a fairly solid core for an army list built around Azrael can look something like this.

HQ:

Azrael

Librarian

Troops

DW Squad 1 (Deepstrike)

• 7 DW
  • 4 Hammers
  • Assault Cannon

DW Squad 2 (Run this with Azrael, they will all have a 4++)

• 7 DW
  • mix of Claws and Power Fists/Storm Bolters
  • Heavy Flamer

RWAS

• 6 Bikers
  • Power Weapon on Sergeant
  • 2 Melta guns
  • Multi-Melta Attack Bike

Elites:

Deathwing Knights:

• 5 DWK

RWBK

• 6 BK
  • 2 grenade launchers

Heavy Support:

LRC

LR

Flavour with additional units as desired, or swap out upgrades/units as desired. This is the core I generally run with Azrael, or would if I had 2 Land Raiders ;). I have run Azrael with a non-TH/SS Deathwing Squad and it works well, for the most part, the biggest problem being dropping more points than I like. But it wreaks face, and slaughtered a Dante-led Sang Guard squad. This list lets you have 2 raiders with which to transport your killy units to the front, or hold one back. This list is definitely one which intends to get in the enemies face pretty early on.

So I will clarify my my currently models painted/unpainted:

HQ

Company Master

Libby in TDA

INT Chappy in TDA

Chappy in PA

Chappy with Jump-pack

Libby in PA (maybe us as Ezekiel)

Elites

5x TH/SS Termies (do I have to have a SGT with PW/SB?)

5x Termies with 2x LC (w/ 1 termie with AC)

5x Tactical Termies w/ AC, SGT with PW/SB, and 1 with CF

1x Dread w/ MM and DCCW

Fast Attack

5x Assault Marines w/ 2x Plasma Pistol and SGT with CS/PS

3x RW Bikes.. nothing special there

Heavy Support

2 Vindis- big bada boom

1Pred Anni- TLLC and LC sponsons

Transport

Rhino with pintle mounted SB

MISC

Working on a command squad which will be for Azrael or CM (undecided) wth various weps to include meltaguns/ plasma gun 

Apothecary, Standard Bearer with Company Standard

Troops

1x 10 Man Tac Squad with Plasma Gub, Plasma Cannon and SGT with Plasma Pistol/CS

1x 10 man Tac squad with Flamer, Missile Launcher (fragg/krak), SGT with CS/BP

1x 5 man Combat squad with SGT with CS/BP, 1 Flamer

That sums up usable units... 3 Centurions in box atm but can't use as per codex without allies. They will be Devs however.

Any advice always appreciate (and kinda needed it seems)

Archived