The illumination of Horus

koran

Yay!  So Horus has finally been delivered.  Such an awesome model.  Even having seen pictures I couldnt quite believe the level of detail.

Well I intend this evening to be a geektastic combination of film watching (X-men first class is on) and something a bit more scary.  I want to grind out the inside of Horus's torso and then drill up through his straight leg so that I can put an LED or electroluminescent wire in his chest that will light up the lower region of his face in red.

This is where I am now:

I have the model cleaned and my dremel.  I also have the bits (not sure if I will need them all):

I just seem to find myself procrastinating.  I think Im a bit worried about starting....

A fantastic idea, but I can definitely understand why you'd procrastinate! How small is the LED? The smallest red ones I've seen online are 0.8mm.

Its 3mm. Small enough to fit in the chest. Ive never seen LEDs as small as 0.8mm. Will have to keep an eye out!

Most of the 0.8mm LED's are admittedly solder directly to a pcb kind, but still smile.png

I have done a kind of test. A long time ago I did something similar with a necron.  A bit of a different feel when its not a basic gimmer going spare!

So Ive taken the cowards approach and done the easy bit first.  This is the hole that will house the battery.  The wires will then go through the other part of the base and up through the leg.

OK.  Dont think I have anything more to do without getting on with the torso.  Here goes!

By the time I was finished it was about 1am and just crashed.  So quick photo this morning.  I have to say I wish I had kept all of the resin that had been ground out of the chest because it really was a lot.  Had me surprised at points.  Ive had to put the wires in as I cant fit the LED up the leg so Im going to need to paint the model with the LED in place (I will just cover it with some bluetac). 

Now to get soldering!

So we are all wired up and Im pretty happy with how it looks.  The cowl is lit up and it also lights up the face from below a bit.  Not sure if its too bright but I can always add in a resister to make the LED less bright.

Ive also made it so that I have a connecter for the wires so I will be able to take Horus off his big base.  He wont be lit up but it means he looks good for display and he can be used for games.  Hopefully that will give him a bit more interest when hes up on flee-bay. 

Its been a while since Ive been able to post.  Managed to paint the leather (went for a slightly worn look) and choose a green I like.  Ive also got the gold and jems done on the leg (just a little battle damage to do).  I went for steel for the rivets instead of gold (didnt want anything too bling).  Hoping to make some headway this weekend.

Very nice paint job, although it's probably the camera that makes it look kinda like 40k DG scheme? either way well done can't wait to see the whole thing done.

So its been a busy long weekend painting (and general life) wise.  Ive finished the gold and got most of the body now done.

Ive also made the green a little more contrasted (though the lack of light makes it just look darker at the moment) but Im happy with it.  Now onto the base and cloak.

Archived