Honor Guard and targeting

Atrenox

Ok for this question it comes from a recent game i played where my ultramarines vs tyranids.

on turn 3 my mate turned is 20 odd Termagants which he said had 3 shots each which gave a but load of shots onto my Marneus calgar and honor guard squad he then proceeded to target Marneus only is this aloud when he has his honor guards joined ?

Ok for this question it comes from a recent game i played where my ultramarines vs tyranids.

on turn 3 my mate turned is 20 odd Termagants which he said had 3 shots each which gave a but load of shots onto my Marneus calgar and honor guard squad he then proceeded to target Marneus only is this aloud when he has his honor guards joined ?

No it is not allowed. When an Independent Character like Calgar joins a squad it can't be targeted specifically by ranged attacks (precision shots and barrage are exceptions to this rule), it effectively becomes part of the larger unit. And when a unit is shot at, it resolves wounds and removes models based on which models are closest to the firing unit. If Calgar was at the front of the squad, yes the shots would be resolved against him first, but as an Independent Character you would get Look out, Sir! rolls too.

Sounds like your mate needs to read up on wound allocation.

I was in melee combat with a carnifex at the time. Marneus was surrounded by 3 honor guard, there was also a discussion saying I can't take anymore than 3 honor guard, yet the codex says I can have up to 7 for 25 pts a model. I only took 4 units so he talked me down to removing a unit. Seems the whole game was dodgy as hell.

he cant shoot into a melee fight anyways. so first major mistake from him. second you can have up to 10 Honour Guard and if remember correct Marneus is allowed to have 2!! honour guard squads.  he can join one of them. rule says Honour guard 3models 25pts each and up to 7 additinal models..

Yes, devourers, but that A) Wouldnt allow them to shoot into melee and B ) wouldnt allow them to ignore wound allocation rules.

Also, they almost double the cost of the 'gant.

ok thanks for the info guys i can safely say this was not a fair battle considering we were only playing 950 point game and he had fielded a carnifex 50 odd termagants  tervigon ripper swarms tyranid warriors plus some several other things i forgot the name to that had heavy weapons.

i only wasnt sure because i dont play nids and dont have there codex i only have space marines IG and Temestus scions codexs. Once again thanks guys :)

ok thanks for the info guys i can safely say this was not a fair battle considering we were only playing 950 point game and he had fielded a carnifex 50 odd termagants tervigon ripper swarms tyranid warriors plus some several other things i forgot the name to that had heavy weapons.

i only wasnt sure because i dont play nids and dont have there codex i only have space marines IG and Temestus scions codexs. Once again thanks guys smile.png

Your opponent was certainly...'confused' in his interpretation of the rules and you should not be afraid to ask him to show you the relevant rules from his codex if you're in doubt over something.

The others pointed out his mistakes. Next time you play, make sure you make him prove what he says is both right and conform to the rules in place. Most of the time, he won't be able to.

Then, proceed to point out loudly to everyone how wrong he is, and proceed to squash his bugs with your army. And proceed to end the game in a classy manner, saying that you won't play with someone that ignores the game rules.

I had a game like this with a guy that kept on saying his models were in area terrain, because they were on the ceiling of a building, and I had placed my units in direct line of sight of them, without obscuring any part of their model, even though we had defined that area terrain counted as only ground terrain on the ground.

The game switfly ended in Turn 1 when I took back my models :p

Unless all the honour guard were in cover and Calgar was the one in the open.

Point me to the page if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they removed focus fire from 7th

Regarding your HG, you are allowed one unit of HG per Chapter Master in your army, and the unit can number 3 to 10 models (this is pretty clear as per page 163 of the codex). Calgar lets you take 3 units (each including 3 to 10 models) instead of a single one, so you could take a total of 30 HG models if you field Calgar.

Point me to the page if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they removed focus fire from 7th

That was written way before 7th

You could focus fire in 6th

You could focus fire in 6th

Hence my comment.

Archived