Chapter Relic Load out - A little Rules help please!

I'm more than a little confused...... about how many Chapter relics a character may carry.....

I know that only one of each Relic may be carried in any one army. That is explicitly stated in the Codex wargear list rules. (P 91) However when it comes to the characters carrying one or more relic items is says the following:

"A model can replace one weapon with one of the following:" is what it says not only for the Chapter Relics but also for Melee Weapons (exact wording). So given that each character model has a bolt pistol and chainsword....one assumes that each of those can be replaced by one of the items in the list?

Then to confuse it even more under ranged weapons they say "A model can replace his bolt pistol and/or his close combat weapon with one of the following:"

I've never paid too much attention to the Rules as Written as I've not actually played a game since 4th edition but this is silly....

So we know that the character can replace his BP and CS each with a single LC so ending up with Twin LC.... hence should he be able to do the same with Chapter Relics!! That is swap the chainsword for a Monster Slayer of Caliban and the BP for Foe Smiter.

I can actually stretch it further..... Since with the Ranged weapons they specify that either or both BP and CS get replaced but don't mention that for Melee and Chapter Relics so I might decide to swap the frag grenades (One Weapon!!!) for a relic, another for the krak grenade, one for the CS and one for the BP!!!! and yes pile in the Shroud as it doesn't replace a weapon!!!tongue.png...Let's forget I said that!! blush.png

But being serious...I honestly read those rules and came away thinking I could legally have a character with the Monster Slayer of Caliban in one hand, the Foe Smiter in the other and cloaked in the Shroud of Heroes...a very expensive model in terms of gaming..... See what happens when Captain Semper forces me to start looking at army builds etc!!

Really would appreciate what the community at large accepts as the norm..Thanks

SG

The Crimson Slaughter Supplement was very helpful in putting this to bed once and for all.

- You may replace one weapon with one of the following...

- You may then replace one (other) weapon with one (other) of the following...

So you can have as many Relic weapons as you have weapons to swap.  You can also have as many non-weapon Relics as you like.

Kranon the Relentless (the precedent set by the supplement) is any Chaos Lord who takes The Blade of the Relentless, The Slaughterer's Horns and The Daemonheart.

The grenade swap has been discussed in the OR before IIRC, codices list grenades as wargear, not weapons.  They may be used as weapons, but aren't classed as them.  But it's certainly open to interpretation, so if your local gaming circle is happy for you to swap them, then I'd say it's fine.

The only Limit with this reasonning (though I adhere to), is that we talk about 2 different codex.

The problem is that we are totally solution less until GW finally decides to answer.

On one side, you can say that if the conceptors wanted to allow more relic they wouldn't have use the word "one" but "a". By RAI, we could perfectly imagine that a non-chapter leader could hardly have the responsability of more than one relic.

On the other side, foreign codex like the French one (mine) don't use the local essential expression to make the difference between "one" and "a". The word is the same for both and if you want to show the uniqueness you have to write "one single". This does not appear in my codex so, to me, I'm allowed to do that. As for RAI, like you said, it's a costly solution to make a unique model so totally in the vision of what GW try to sell us every week in WD.

We have no other solution that :

-wait for new FAQ in a few week

-discuss to our local opponents to find a term of agreement

-roll a d6 :rolleyes:

In the italian Version of the codex under the relics sections, it says litteraly "exchange a weapon" without telling if a melee or cc. So by RAW in the italian codex one could have a character with the bolt pistol AND the foe smitter legally.

I'm already thinking of a company master with artificer armour, foe smitter, monster slayer and shroud of heros legally...that would like 200 points if not more of character but i could see the threat it could be xD

Archived