Sanguinary Guard - does anyone actually use them?

LutherMax

Supporting Sanguinary Guard have always suited my style. Mostly because in my army Support is all anything anyone does in my army. 

Sanguinary priests, assault marines, sanguinary guard, and librarian all are at their best mediocre in combat. They do however have an above average range of motion. This allows an ability to support each other.

Assault marines on their own aren't scary, but with +1 attack, furious charge, and fnp they can do things. 

Sanguinary guard can use the assault marines as mobile cover and extra bodies in combat. They also provide the best protection for mobile ICs.

I toss a lot of points into this well, but generally speaking it has been paying out pretty well. 

You would need to spam them and take Dante to come close to almost breaking even. Then you would effectively only be paying 25 points more than for a 5-man ASM all with power weapons, for a 2+ save, angelus boltguns and a re-roll each per assault phase. Doesn't sound too bad then, but you've already forked out for Dante and have only enough points for a couple of baals or vindis. And that's without infernus pistols.

They're a truly awesome fluffy concept but experience shows they just ain't worth the points for what they can do. Massive shame and if there's one unit I would like to get some justice done to 'em in the next codex, it's these guys. It seems that everyone wants to use them, if only they were competitive they could become feared.

They would need slight tweaking: minor point reduction and either give them 5++ or FnP. Also option for wrist flamer would be nice to deal with hordes. They're gorgeous models but with all of these ap2 or ap 1 weapons people pack here (melta, plasma and grav weapon spam) they need either invul or FnP to be working as intended this edition.

Why would you need to give them FNP when we have access to spriests. Most batreps have them strolling up the table with no support and wonder why they pale in comparison with assault terminators backed by chaplains.

Because I would love them to have something against ap2 weapons without needing to buy IC to them it would justify gross amount points they cost little bit better but that's just me...

You call your self a Blood Angel! I would rather have a Jump Pack than a 5++. The best defence is a good offence.

Archived