DA possibly my next army

Noxnoctis22

Well I feel as this has become my own personal DA sub-forum. I really appreciate all the tips and info. I'll more than likely starting posting separate pothests for the many DA questions I'll be having. That way the main topic of the post will stay on point and we won't wander of talking about other things. So much to discuss!

One last question for this thread. How strict are DA players when it comes to the colors used in a DA or successor chapter army? I know SM armies tend to be an color under the sun but I have a feeling DA players may tend to be more "traditionalist", am I wrong? 

dont worry about it Nox, when I was first getting into WH40k(6 months ago?) I posted and posted questions..and I got a lot of good advice here. I started with the DV set, I am loving the models and I love the fluff, I have been buying Horus Heresy books, and some(alot) of models on eBay.  I also sold all the chaos from DV on eBay to buy more stuff for my DA army...which I've yet to finish a squad of...   I think I set my standards too high, and my skill isnt there yet >.> that and im still collecting paint..

I love the DA stuff, but I think I'm going to create a successor after the ETL is over, I don't know though, it may just be a DA army in a new color because I love the iconography and basically everything about the Dark Angels.  I'm actually on 24 hour duty right now(Army) and I brought the Codex to read in my down time in the middle of the night...

Welcome to The Rock(Sean Connery voice)

Well I feel as this has become my own personal DA sub-forum. I really appreciate all the tips and info. I'll more than likely starting posting separate pothests for the many DA questions I'll be having. That way the main topic of the post will stay on point and we won't wander of talking about other things. So much to discuss!

One last question for this thread. How strict are DA players when it comes to the colors used in a DA or successor chapter army? I know SM armies tend to be an color under the sun but I have a feeling DA players may tend to be more "traditionalist", am I wrong? 

Not really. If anything wildly divergent color schemes further muddy up the issue of whether or not Dark Angels are actually verging too close to legion building. What the unforgiven would be truly interested in are things that aid in hunting the fallen and maintaining the secret. So stuff like recruiting from a single planet (native culture seeping in) and a strong focus in working closely with non DA organizations (loose lips sink BT ships!) would be red flags for other Grand Masters (Especially the Supreme Grand Master) despite being not unusual for other chapters.

Nox,

I don't think a different color is too bad. I mean you might cause confusion amongst your opponents but I've seen BA red Marines as DA I think the biggest indicator will be robes and lots of bikes or termi's. That and obviously the wings and swords. I personally like the Disciples of Caliban (go figure with my name right?) but overall I've seen awesome successor colors. One other nice thing about our successors is that there isn't a lot of fluff on them so they are easily made into whatever you want. Keep in mind though since the First is not known for being able to make a lot of successors since the High Lords don't really trust us per se. So as long as you keep in mind that we aren't as prevalent with successors and make sure you get the DA feel whatever colors you want should work.

Nox, you raise a good point.  Why are there so many Dark Angel players that go with traditional color schemes? Let me attempt to provide an answer.

Many Dark Angels players who played through the prior codex felt that in order to compete they had to use the space marine codex. However since they still wanted to have others realize the might of the Dark Angels they kept the traditional color scheme. Hence, they could still cover the chapter in glory even though they were using rules from outside the codex, and would be recognized as such. If your codex is substandard then you at least want the recognition for chapter with the glorious/infamous history of the Dark Angels.

I think many players are drawn to the three different color schemes of the army and that lends its self to being content with the traditional color scheme due to the fact that you dont get burnt out constantly painting the same colors again and again.

Part of the adherence to traditional colors may also have to do with wanting to stay part of the cannon. With a successor or DIY chapter you have to fill in the backstory yourself. After all when you spend so much time at painting, its nice to have people recognize the chapter that you've painted up, You don't always get that with alternated painjobs that don't adhere to the canon. 

there are still plenty who play as successor some of them even post their models on here from time to time. Chaplain lucifer recently posted a battle report with his Angels of Redemption army, and ive seen numerous models on here that tend to follow alternate color schemes.

@Polythemus I can see your points about why DA player tend to stick to the traditional colors of the DA and their successors more than SM. I love the fact that DA has a three way color scheme with their armies, from a painting/modeling perspective I love it! I'm a professional graphic designer so I guess it's just part of who am I to "create" something new. The difference with DA and SM colors to me is that with SM ANYTHING goes, there's just so many chapters and successors. Now with DA there are only so many successors and the overall color palette is limited to a handful of colors. Dark Green, Off-White, Black, Red, Silver and so on.

I want to respect the core values of DA and their successors but I do love creating my own fluff. For me it gets me more personally involved with my army. I'm creating MY army, not a DA/successor that someone else is also playing as (not that there's anything wrong with any of them). It sounds so bad but it tends to feel like "paint by numbers" if I used the standard colors for DA or SM or any other army in the 40K universe. As I'm typing this right now I'm thinking of something along the lines of replacing the Dark Green with a Dark Blue, replacing the Off-White with a Light Blue or Light Gray and then replacing the Black with a Dark Gray or Metallic. I may not be in line with the DA colors but it is still pay respect to how they are used. 

As for fluff, I'm creating in the back corners of my brain as I'm typing this. Creating a rich world and story is great, another part of 40K which I love. Once I finish this up I'm sure my mind will be spinning in overdrive with ideas as I try to go to bed for the night.

/end rambling

you may want to have a look through the path to redemption thread from a (fair) while ago: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/260034-path-to-redemption/page-1

I cant see most of the images these days as work have clamped down on hosting sites but if they are still available I think there were a variety of successors including some detailed fluff.

I'll be looking at the post all day long now...and I'm okay with that!

Think I'll poke around with the army painter and see if I can come up with a few good color schemes. Hash them out there and see where we end up.

Archived