Fluffy Word Bearers List?

Kilofix

Some of you who are building Word Bearers have inspired me to build a fluffly version of the same for my ETL III - Vow 4 (I'm almost done with Vow 3 but need to start aquiring bits for Vow 4).

Feedback welcome but keep in mind that this is going to be fluffy and will have less to do with FoC and tabletop effectiveness. Also I'm looking for a group that could conceivably be a self-sufficient warband fluff-wise, albeit a very small one.

I'm thinking of going with 4 groups:

1 Coryphaus (Terminator Lord) & 9 Chosen bodyguard.

Who will sit in a Chaos Bastion, that I will decorate with scrolls, etc. (since WB's like to build Shrines and stuff).

1 Diabolist (Dark Apostle w/Prophet of the Voices) & 9 Gal Vorbak (Possessed).

That will ride around in a Chaos Land Raider, that I will decorate with scrolls, etc.

1 Helbrute & 18 Cultists (WFB Flagellants) - i.e. Helcult. - since it seems WB'ish.

1 Daemon Prince (Belakor painted with a 'red' scheme) & 9 Bloodthirsters - because I wanted to include Daemons and their colors match WB.

Thoughts? Anything else that screams WB?

Thanks for the opinions!

I think you nailed it.  You could make engravings/skin parchment instead of just using parchment like scrolls.  There are a lot of varieties of zealotry to achieve with word bearers beyond simple mutation, maroon and silver spikey bits, or scrolls/defiled purity seals. 

Personally I think the DA model is hideous.  You could also use Cypher and some chosen as counts-as infiltration specialized WBs alongside that Helcult of yours.

You could build the bastion out of one of the wfb towers?

Maybe use a prophet sorcerer to summon the daemons instead? Model him the same, just represent it differently and force staff>power maul.

I think I'm going to use the Ashen Circle torso and kit bash a Dark Maul, parchments, etc. onto it for the Dark Apostle - and keep it strictly as a Dark Apostle.

I will then add another separate Sorceror with Force Staff, per suggestion, as the Diabolist. Will likely use the WFB Tzeentch Herald body.

The suggestion to use a WFB tower for the Bastion is also an interesting idea. I'm going to look into that.

Thanks for the opinions folks! Additional feedback welcome.

Not adhering strictly to FoC or Formation rules. Just building for the fun of it and for ETL (which needs valid units but does not need valid FoC or Formations).

1 Daemon Prince (Belakor painted with a 'red' scheme) & 9 Bloodthirsters - because I wanted to include Daemons and their colors match WB.

Thoughts? Anything else that screams WB?

Thanks for the opinions!

Ok first off this sounds really nice.  I love the Wordbearers and I am actually thinking of getting the old band back together as well.  Sold mine back in 3rd as it turned to 4th.

That being said, I am conflicted on what I used as your quote, are you really tossing 9 Thirsters on the table or is this meant to be bloodletters?  If it is 9 Thirsters you are the man, that is how to roll, if letters still cool but not as.

Anyway love to see some WIP shots of this lot.

Gub

Ha ha, sorry Freudian slip. Meant Bloodletters, but secretly wished Bloodthirsters.

So I'm thinking the following will be my ETL III - Vow 4.

1 Dark Apostle

1 Coryphaus + 9 Chosen

1 Shrine / Bastion

1 Sorc / Diabolist + 9 Gal Vorbak

1 Land Raider

1 Helbrute + 18 Cultist

1 Daemon + 9 Bloodletters

Still open to suggestions though.

Pretty cool army, and I think you are right in running the Diabolist as a Sorcerer with Prophet and Daemonology. This is just based on the 30K Word Bearer Legion lists where their HQs would mainly be Chaplains and Diabolists, and both are psykers because of Burning Lore. Also, summoning daemons is pretty WB, so no problem there!

One problem though, Bloodletters are minimum size 10, so you can't enter 9 as a valid unit in the ETL.

I hear you.  Would prefer 9 Thirsters as well. Looking forward to seeing what these end up looking like.  Like the idea you have for the force.  I am very tempted to do some WB myself.  In the meantime will lie through your force.

Gub

@tot - Thanks for reminding me, guess I'll have to do 10 BLs

@corp - I think I'm going to do regular Marines for the Chosen - just so that the Coryphaus will look bigger and more distinct standing by them

Ok slight change and another question.

I think I'm going to use the FW Davinite Priest to count as the Sorc / Diabolist (assume Force Sword and Plasma Pistol). This will finally be an opportunity to paint him.

Question - what should I arm the Dark Apostle, Coryphaus (Terminator), 5 w/Chosen Special Weaps, Helbrute? It still has to be Codex legal for ETL III.

I'm thinking all Combi-Plasma for the HQs, Plasma for the 5 Chosen and Plasma Cannon for the Helbrute - because painting the Plasma chambers will give me a good consistent place for a spot color.

Then add Maul for the Apostle (obviously), Lightning Claw for the Cory (because Cataphractii LCs look cool) and Lash for the Helbrute (because its 'big' and makes it look more Daemon'ish).

Thoughts?

Edit - Actually I'll do 4 Chosen w/Plasma, 1 Chosen Champ with PF / LC, and 1 Chosen with AutoCannon (the latter because I want to do Enusat).

Ok slight change and another question.

I think I'm going to use the FW Davinite Priest to count as the Sorc / Diabolist (assume Force Sword and Plasma Pistol). This will finally be an opportunity to paint him.

Question - what should I arm the Dark Apostle, Coryphaus (Terminator), 5 w/Chosen Special Weaps, Helbrute? It still has to be Codex legal for ETL III.

I'm thinking all Combi-Plasma for the HQs, Plasma for the 5 Chosen and Plasma Cannon for the Helbrute - because painting the Plasma chambers will give me a good consistent place for a spot color.

Then add Maul for the Apostle (obviously), Lightning Claw for the Cory (because Cataphractii LCs look cool) and Lash for the Helbrute (because its 'big' and makes it look more Daemon'ish).

Thoughts?

Edit - Actually I'll do 4 Chosen w/Plasma, 1 Chosen Champ with PF / LC, and 1 Chosen with AutoCannon (the latter because I want to do Enusat).

I say perfect, may the word be with you chosen of the gods

Archived