Raven Guard Assault Marines

morf

My first attempt at painting assault marines so be gentle haha. Been following Captain_Volos' Black Armour Tutorial.
The models at the front are in stage two of the tutorial and the ones at the back are stage 1. I've left the heads off as I'm going to do them separate as Im not so great at painting. guna base coat them let them dry and stand them in blue tac to paint them.

Stage 1 / 2 ASM

Stage 1 / 2 ASM

That guy is far too good at painting. Makes me extremely jealous and a little ashamed at how bad I am. Some really good bits and pieces to try out though.

don't worry about the guy's painting skills, that comes with practice, just pay attention to HOW he organizes his work. That you can learn from carefully watching his blog.

And remember the most important thing are:

1  careful priming, multiple thin coats are better than one heavy.

2 dilute your paints with water, the paint goes on smoother then, if one coat does not give you the coverage you want, better to come back and apply another thin coat.

3  neat paint job, if you are not at a level where you can do feathering, or blending, better to do a neat paint job first, everything else is next stage.

good luck at developing your painting skills.

All great advice and things that I'll keep in mind, thanks :)

What do you use to dilute your paint in? Just like a cheap paint pallet?

a small Rubbermaid (plastic container) with a piece of paper towel in it, soaked in water (wet pallet) works great, helps to keep your paint moist for a long time, the lid on the container will help your paint last even longer.  There are a bunch of in depth explanations on how to make the Wet Pallet online, so you can find that pretty easily.

Okay so I've got further with my ASMs and thought I'd get some feedback. I've completed the 3rd stage of the tutorial and added a few extra bits of detail.

20140601 142605

Wazddakka Red for the edging and ulthuan grey for the skulls and wings. I'm thinking of doing at least one coat of nuln oil over the skulls and wings maybe two. I think I'm going to leave the red as is though.

20140601 142615

Okay and one marine is further along than the others.

20140601 142535

20140601 142556

20140601 142545

The silver/metal colour is ironbreaker and I'm planing on doing at least one coat of nuln oil over it. most likely 2 coats over the chain sword, I think it should be significantly darker than the bolt pistol.

So thoughts?

Archived