tactical objectives

durdle-durdle

So i just wanted to take a second to appreciate just how much this changes the way this game is changed.  The tactical objectives seem to work better with a more flexible and mobile army (which we have in spades, from DS terminators to speedy bikes!)  I played a game today, and being used to how sixth was played, generally ignored the objectives until turn four, when i thought "WHELP, better get on those."  Of course, this means that I was blown out of the water by the opposing general who was playing objectives from turn one.  This forces us to not focus AS much on flat out purging the alien, but playing objectives.  He took way more casualties than me, but won because he had four turns of scoring victory points on me.  Interestingly, this means that more static army builds are fighting an uphill battle when playing tactical objectives (unless they get VERY lucky, and don't need to constantly secure objectives across the board from each other, like i did)  I feel that even though the raven wing took a nerf from the jink change, the overall mobility they have is such an asset, I think they are still fine off anyways.  In addition, I would just like to say how much i love my typhoon/ HB land speeders even more now.  They had the ability to hop from objective to objective (turbo boosting when needed) to score all my home objectives and provide cheap long range anti-infantry support.  And with jink, they lasted way longer, too.  (Sure, they were shooting snapshots alot, but i was using them for scoring first, and shooting second).  might switch them over to HB/HB and give that a shot though, since i feel the points for the Typhoon were mostly a waste.  

anyways, that's my little spiel.  What do you guys think of the tactical objectives?  How do you think they affect the unforgiven?  How will your play style be changing with them now?

Haven't played 7th yet but from what I've seen mobility is going to be key. So yes maybe less emphasis on gunline armies with the obligatory fast units to make objective land grabs at the end.

Overalll games will become more tactical and I think the randomness of the mission cards could even out armies of different abilities. I'm talking Battle Forged armies here of course.

At present Unbound just makes my head spin :wacko:

Cheers

I

When we (brother) played our first game neither of us knew what to expect from the objective cards but as we started playing we both found that they created a more dynamic edge to the game.

as isiah mentioned, its more random then before which adds an unknown element to the game, which brings me back round to the dynamic side of things (it felt more fast paced).

so far, i believe it was a good move by gw, its something a little different then before. the only thing i think could need improving is the variety of the cards. half of them are a bit samey (thinking of the "secure obj x..." ones). the other half are better, we could do with a few more like that.

fortunately, that's easily corrected with additional card packs. in fact, i can see gw releasing army specific card packs in the future (anyone for "capture that character, he has info on some fallen!"?)

I played two games last night with the cards. Tactical Objectives wouldn't be bad if there they were less random, or if you could counter them. Gaining 3 points a turn, due to nothing other than lucky cards, while your opponent gets nothing but "Kill enemy building, Kill enemy flier" cards makes for lopsided battles.

If you could discard irrelevant cards that would help. Also if the VP's were not instantaneous that would help too. IE you have 1 turn to hold this objective. That way you can respond, by either contesting or destroying the unit on at the objective in your turn. As it stands now it's so random that no matter how good of a general you are you can't stop it.

Or make it so although you score 1 point for holding that objective for that one half of a turn, but gain 3 points for holding any objective at the end of the game. As it stands now you are just throwing units into bad situations for 1 VP in your half of a turn. This often leads to that unit dying to gain that point. This is so unfluffy, and really helps horde armies over elite units.

Overall I wouldn't say that the TO cards are horrible, but so far in my experience they need to be less random and counterable.

I like the tactical objectives I can usually score 4 - 6 in the first few turns with rave wing. My death wing work great for dropping in and murdering anything on an objective early in the game. I have HD several opponents who have assumed after turn 2 they could not catch back up. I do use a turn and burn attitude, if k can't do it in 2 turns dump it asap to get a new one. The more of the deck I can burn through the more points I rack up.

I have played one game with them so far and I think they are terrific. They force you to adapt your army to the demands of the battlefield and your objectives. And these force armies that would otherwise cower away like babies into the thick of it.

If a tau player draws take objectives 1,2 and obtain linebreaker he won't be cowering behind an adl all game

And this forces other forces that rely on their speed and guns to be more tactful than driving by and making you die a death of a thousand papercuts as they go by.

Armies that can deepstrike and armies with good bully units that deter actions will be the mvp's of those games. Not the hq with the cheese filling or the super amazing pieplate launcher.

They simply can only hit so many targets and be in so many places at one time. And that will radically alter the options for armies that wouldn't otherwise have counters for those units in good supply.

My plan is to run mt's with dpa da's with land speeders and flyers in support. I can be in a million places at once if I have too and I can rapidly rearrange my supporting units to wherever your going to come at me.. Bro

One of the games I've played my opponent(csm) was spamming walkers (unbound) and decked out daemon princes. I could not have won a straight up fight but i was able to maneuver quickly with my bikes and speeders to grab fast early objectives. My termkes deepstruck in his backfield to grab his deployment zone from him.

One of the games I've played my opponent(csm) was spamming walkers (unbound) and decked out daemon princes. I could not have won a straight up fight but i was able to maneuver quickly with my bikes and speeders to grab fast early objectives. My termkes deepstruck in his backfield to grab his deployment zone from him.

Exactly

And I managed a similar stunt by using bikes to secure objectives. I would use turbo boost and my movement speeds to keep my bikes moving and then stopping when it came time to cash in my card(s).

In a head to head fight the eldar would of slaughtered me. But by remaining in motion until the end of my turns I was able to keep him guessing and with his limited mobility in his army I was able to take objectives and score without worrying to much about getting stalled.

I was also using my scouts more as skirmishers popping out of cover and taking shots before taking off into the battlefield on my following turn to avoid taking too much damage.

Archived