7th Edition and the RavenWing

Ignoring all of the controversy over the new jink, which isn't really as worrying as it sounded at first, I don't see much reason why RW wouldn't be any less viable this edition than last. Actually, I think they may have just gotten better.

This is mostly down to Tactical Objectives which can really favour more mobile armies to start building up points earlier in the game. We can get to them quicker than most and hold them down quite reliably for a turn. In many cases getting the extra points for holding an objective that turn will be worth more than some extra shooting so the new jink may even be in our favour for objective hunting since it is a better save. I don't have the book yet, could someone let me know if turbo boosting still improves jink? If it does that's a nice 3+ save or an amazing 2+ for any skilled riders. Should help us to hold on to an objective for a turn to get the points.

So I still think RW are going to be good, but played differently (less aggressive, more tactical) but what I'm less sure about is if Sammael or Azrael are still good. Objective Secured is a nice boost, but is it worth 200 points? I honestly don't know, since each HQ brings additional benefits too. Sammael, for example, could help out the above tactic quite nicely, adding 3 extra wounds and skilled rider to an objective holding unit as well as making them troops could really count for something. But then again, a librarian on bike with PFG may do the job better, with only one less wound and bringing a 4++.

Just some thoughts. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Seems like we are in agreement then, RW and Tactical Objectives is a good combination.

Good point, Sammael, even alone, will be really helpful for grabbing those hard to reach objective, can't believe I forgot about jetbike rules. Also, Rapid Maneuver could be pretty useful. Not to mention sharing out that skilled rider.

Shame about turbo boost but I guess it's not a big deal since jinks are already so high now.

You have a point, we do get a lot for those 200 points when you really think about it.

I don't think Skilled Rider changed at all. Didn't it always so both +1 to jink and ignores Dangerous Terrain?

Thanks for the replies.

I think RW is going to be fine, there are some tradeoffs though.

For one, I think bringing Sammael is less important.  The need for an all RW army is a little less important since Rhinos are a little bit better at  moving tacticals around, especially when there are objectives for them to secure.  2 Mastery level 2 Librarians are going to be the same price as him, bringing 4 extra warp charges, and up to 6 different psychic powers.  They can also bring way better warlord traits (running a battle-forged list allows you to re-roll on DA traits as well, after all they are Warlord Traits nonetheless).

The jink change helps some people more than it does others.  For instance Dark Eldar raiders don't have to get screwed just because they didn't move and go first.  The same goes for our speeders as well.

Black Knights change a little bit, the jink will screw them on the RWGL when firing rad charges.  They'll still have the Krak available, but as a snap shot.  It's important to also note with Black Knights that with the new order of firing weapons, you want to fire the RWGL FIRST.  Since the debuff doesn't apply until it hits, if you fire it after your plasma, you lose our on that instant death option.

RWAS don't really change too much other than getting a tad better.  Twinlinked bolters make the snapshots a little more approachable, even with a banner nearby they are bound to hit something, their special weapons on the other hand will be an issue :(

Speeders got better with the explosion rules.  It's obviously still easy to glance them, but AP2 needs 6s and AP1 needs 5s, there isn't a whole lot of AP1 that will be in range of a speeder unless it's armed with Heavy Flamers.  OH yeah, and they score, so Typhoon pattern speeders just became your objective holders.  You SHOULD be taking Speeders either from the support squadron or purchased within the RWAS.

Darktalons don't really changed too much, and the Jetfighter is a little bit better.  Even with this change I don't consider it to be that great of a unit.

Landspeeder Vengeance got the shaft.  The 24" range makes it really difficult avoid being shot at (nothing new there).  But you NEED to be in cover with this thing.  If you're not you're just giving away the points.  Jinking with this thing makes it 100% useless.  I know I'm not going to pay 140 points to snapfire a heavy bolter, or 160 points to snapfire an assault cannon.  It basically became a more expensive Darkshroud that doesn't grant cover, or have shrouded.  As if this unit couldn't get any worse...

Darkshroud is ok still, regular bikes with a 3+ cover, and Black Knights with a 2+ cover? Worth the snap shots if you can get into combat full strength the following turn.

I was writing a whole RW tactica, but I need to revise it now and playtest 7th more!

My Ravenwing list changed a soon as I got the rulebook.

It will now be an Unbound army consisting entirely of Black Knights. A 3+ Jink in exchange for Snap Shots? Yes please.

An entire army of Plasma Talon-firing and Corvus Hammer-wielding bikers. Check. 

I considered going BK heavy but I thought it would be safer to go for objectives. With so many Tactical Objs being "score obj X at end of your turn" I feel like Sammael and his usual RW troops could do pretty well by just Turbo Boosting to where ever they are needed each turn.

Also, still love my SoD lists.

Archived