Ravenwing Command Squad

Caldria

I was wondering. (since I still love my Dark Angels due to their visuals and some of my favourite units like deathwing knights/ravenwing knights) If I were to ally my Dark Angels to Vanilla marines. Would taking a Librarian on a bike unlock the Ravenwing Command Squad?

If I check the wording in the codex, it says for each HQ choice in your ARMY mounted on a bike, you may take a Ravenwing Command Squad. And since both the Primary vanilla marine detachment and dark angels allied detachment still count as one army - would this work?

I could still just go with a DA libby on bike as HQ for the allied detachment, but I'd really like to take a Biomancy librarian on a bike to ride with the command squad.

Then to help make this worthy of an actual thread - I'd also like to discuss potential combos of HQs with the Ravenwing command squad (librarians in particular)

From both Dark Angels and C:SM. Like, Which loadouts would you go? Which Psychic disciplines you think would work well etc. I plan on using this unit as a solid mobile shooting and counter assault unit. (while an assault terminator/deathwing knight unit in a Deathwing Landraider shall be my main assault unit). Then with a core of 3 tactical marines, 2 in rhinos, 1 in a drop pod.

Thanks in advance!

I also saw that earlier today and it got me wondering. Until it's clarified I would be pretty against doing this. On the other hand, I don't see a reason why one chapter couldn't assign a squad to protect another chapter's librarian if they felt it was important, so I think fluff wise it could be fair and on the current wording should be allowed.

I also saw that earlier today and it got me wondering. Until it's clarified I would be pretty against doing this. On the other hand, I don't see a reason why one chapter couldn't assign a squad to protect another chapter's librarian if they felt it was important, so I think fluff wise it could be fair and on the current wording should be allowed.

I'm not sure exactly why you would want too though. The price would be the same between taking a da commander on a bike vs a vanilla commander on a bike. The only thing you gain is shield eternal, iron halo, and eternal warrior. These are hardly huge factors when you can take a pfg. Pfg + vehicles = shenanigans.

Well, in this case it's because I'd like a biomancy librarian to ride with them. DA libbies dont have access to Biomancy unfortunately. I feel like Biomancy just has some amazing synergy with Ravenwing Black Knights. Also, a vanilla Libby is 10 points cheaper for ML 2 than a DA Libby.

The combination of Enfeeble and the grenade launcher. They could instant kill even marines in close combat with their S5 hammers. Then Endurance, giving 4+ FnP on top of their T5 is great and EW on the librarian. He'd have a staff so with Iron Arm he could get 4 S9 AP 2 attacks on the charge. Add potentially Warp Speed to that. Life Leech isnt as great as the others, but being able to heal himself isnt too bad and it is still 2 S6 AP2 shots - and then ofc Smite for free, adding another 4 S4 AP2 shots to the Ravenwing's slew of plasma. Just so much synergy. The only real stinker is Haemorrhage.

Taking a Dark Angels Librarian on bike will unlock a Ravenwing command squad regardless of whether it's the primary or allied detachment. You can take a Space Marine Librarian on bike and stick it in the Ravenwing squad as they are battle brothers. The Space Marine Librarian on bike will (IIRC) also unlock a Space Marine command squad which you can tool up with grav guns and add the Dark Angels Librarian to (divination?).

Of course with the current rules for multiple Force Organisation Charts you could take a Ravenwing detachment as one primary detachment, and a Space Marine detachment as another primary detachment and play them as one army (battle brothers).

Yeah, I realise, although I'm wanting to only take one Ravenwing Command Squad (no other bikes) and have them ride with a Bio Libby - I don't actually plan on taking a DA libby on bike at all (If I'm correct about the wording of this that is)

The DA Libby I would take would just be ML1 in TDA armour riding alongside my chaptermaster and assault terminators in the landraider. Biomancy is just so good with the ravenwing.

Currently, the wording of the rules don't "disallow" it. As the entry just says "for each HQ in your ARMY on a bike, you make take a Ravenwing Command Squad"

So it says nothing about specifically needing a DA hq on bike, and it says in army not detachment too. I've checked both the DA and C:SM FAQs too, and nothing has changed in the wording that would prohibit this. To be honest, I don't know if GW ever planned on having a situation like this - but at the same time I don't really see what harm could come from allowing this? Either way I would take a Bio Libby with the Ravenwing CS - It's just whether I'm forced to take the DA bike Libby as well as a tax for them (which doesn't seem like I do need to)

you can still take a techy on bike +pfg  to unlock the RWCS ?

No, the entry specifically states a techmarine or other RWCS do not unlock the RWCS

Edit: Caldria, I could have sworn it said in your primary detachment, I don't have codex on me though.  Even still, unless you want a banner, or an apothecary, you can just take BKs in your fast attack slot and attach your Vanilla Bike Librarian to them since they are BBs, no need to mince wording from the codex to do that.

you can still take a techy on bike +pfg to unlock the RWCS ?

No, the entry specifically states a techmarine or other RWCS do not unlock the RWCS

Where does it say that? Power armour command and DWC squads state no Techmarines. However the RWCS has no mention. ( unless I missed the FAQ)

I thought you could.

DM

I could be confusing it with those 2 entries then, entirely possible, no codex in hand.  But nevertheless, it would require you to purchase a normal HQ for the techmarine (since after all you can't bring HIM unless you have a normal HQ, that much I know).

But these type of language inconsistencies would be consistent with GW's inconsistent writing ;)

Sigh, yeah - I keep trying to find a cool synergistic combo within the armies I play, always to be shut down right near the end with one restriction or something haha. Still it's a fun thing to do, I like finding synergy in any gaming system I ever play. I also didn't want to pay for the DA biker libby tax and have both libbys on bikes.

And while currently there's nothing restricting it, I've been getting a lot of mixed responses to this and it does indeed seem that GW never really thought of a situation like this occurring. Either way I don't want to be someone who twists the wording of rules to get some broken combo (which I dont think this case is anyway).

But SvenONE, thats actually pretty much the perfect option for me now. I did want the apothecary to get the 5+ FnP on the T5 bikers to assist in them lasting and making a big impact on the games (all my other units are in transports or droppods). It's a 2 in 6 chance of getting the 4+ FnP though from endurance at least, so... I figure thats an alright trade off to keep the squad 20 points cheaper and avoid all rules issues - So I'm probably gonna go with that, and then use Ezekial or a termie Libby as my DA HQ.

Again, thanks so much guys for the assistance!

Archived