Noise marines better choice in 7th!?!?

tbone

So I think noise marines, blastmasters in particular, got a decent boost coming out of 7th. The three things I've noticed

- no longer limited to 36" range during night fighting

- scoring without slaanesh lord tax. No need for backfield campers with OS :)

- the increase to jink saves ignores cover becomes much more valuable

I'm thinking I may finally have a use for our elite slot :)

So I think noise marines, blastmasters in particular, got a decent boost coming out of 7th. The three things I've noticed

- no longer limited to 36" range during night fighting

- scoring without slaanesh lord tax. No need for backfield campers with OS :)

- the increase to jink saves ignores cover becomes much more valuable

I'm thinking I may finally have a use for our elite slot :)

Noise Marines have always been pretty good. I like to take 2 squads of 5 so I can separate the firepower as I need.

I tried them out yesterday, 11 man with 2 blastmasters, champ, icon and 8 sonic blasters, lead by a Sorcerer who got the +1 S to sonic weapons malediction and prescience.

Sadly I also included a lvl 3 Malefic Daemon Prince who gobbled most of my warp charge, since I rolled 1s and 2s for warp charge generated four out of five turns, so I couldn't buff my Noise Marines as much as I had hoped.

But yeah, they were pretty rocking, but mixing sonic blasters and blastmasters makes them sort of tricky to use. Whatever you fire at you feel like you are wasting half the squad.

Also...

usually if you kit them to be all arounders (doom siren and power sword for champ, sonic blasters and blaster masters you will get really expensive unit with mis-match ranges making them tricky. For backfield I usually deploy bolter and noise champion with power sword JIC with blaster masters to give the long range fire support and then doom sirened champion with sonic blasters deployed middle field with rhino to form firebase. Just decide what role you need your noise marines support: mid range firefight, deliver kitted champion to assault or longrange fire support with blaster masters. S8 Ap3 large pieplate that ignores cover is quite nasty indeed.

It's not a large blast..

I believe it has been fairly well documented that the best bang for your buck will be a 5 man unit with 1 blast master. It's 125 points that can pay out fairly well. 3-4 such squads to camp objectives and deliver pinning checks across the board in combination with a daemons assault ally served me very well through 6th ed. But what to do with the marked lord? I ran him in a biker unit for more mele.

Good points, but in my personal experience objective holding required more units, which lead to 5 man units. I suppose the new rules sort of make my previous experience invalid on the topic, though. Maybe 10 is the new 5.

Interesting, I suppose leaving a rhino on the objective and firing from next to it could be a new aggessive tactic.

Is anyone able to test 10 man squads? I've got a game in 3 weeks, ill take Slaanesh.

Actually, a rhino blaster-box, 2 blastmasters firing from the top hatch and a havok launcher on the rhino for giggles, might not be a bad Idea. Since passengers are now only affected by penetrating hits if they fail a leadership test, and Noise marines can easily be ld 10 with VotLW, you've got a Scoring bunker passing out 3 blasts a turn.

I may have a new way to run them. biggrin.png

I'm debating if the unbound credit without the lord is worth it. Otherwise theyre still fairly good. Not great, but acceptable as far as astartes go.

I'm going to try out  two 10 man NM squads with max.  Sonic Weapons and an attached Slaanesh Sorceror. Hope for Symphony of Pain and go to town. S10 Blastmaster templates, S6 Sonic Blasters sound juicy. Won't work all the time but when it does oh boy.

Interesting, I suppose leaving a rhino on the objective and firing from next to it could be a new aggessive tactic.

Is anyone able to test 10 man squads? I've got a game in 3 weeks, ill take Slaanesh.

Actually, a rhino blaster-box, 2 blastmasters firing from the top hatch and a havok launcher on the rhino for giggles, might not be a bad Idea. Since passengers are now only affected by penetrating hits if they fail a leadership test, and Noise marines can easily be ld 10 with VotLW, you've got a Scoring bunker passing out 3 blasts a turn.

I may have a new way to run them. biggrin.png

Sounds fun actually.

Okay, im thinking of 2 BlasterBox squads and a Slaaneshi biker Lord with 5 bikers as a start.

The rest of the army will include at least 16 daemonettes and 2 5 man blaster squads.

Im wondering if a sorcerer on steed might be worth taking with the lords unit or maybe on foot in a 20 man cultist squad, though we seem to do better using daemenettes as the only CC dedicated unit.

The other option is a CSM squad attached to Steed riding Lord/Sorc to infiltrate (we still do that in 7th right???)high Ld and massed bolter fire could easily weaken a flank. I usually use baal preds to do this but CSM should work too.

Any thoughts?

Nowadays I take 12;

Champ with Siren.

2 with Blastmaster.

9 with Bolter.

Reason is that while the Siren and BM at AP3 rock, I find that the regular Sonics don't add much against 3+ or even 4+. Its only good against like Guard but then regular Bolters work for that too. So I keep the squad cheaper with just Bolters.

Can we take two squads of five for one rhino?

Combat squad is an esoteric talent only grasped by the pure minded codex marines.

the problem with BMs was the small template . I wish it was HVY3  str7 ap3 or str 4 big blast ap - , both version ignoring cover. Right now [if right now is since the end of 3.5] NM cost too much for their do . 10 dudes is a lot of points for two blast anti tank weapons ignoring cover . Sure they have extra wounds and can do melee and are scoring , but it is still 200+pts , and that is a lot for something without transport or combat squads.

Archived