First game 7th Edition. Reporting in.

The 7th still freash and I managed a game of 1850 pts vs Eldar.

Mission: MoW: Cloak and shadows.

My army was my go to army for fast games: The MarciusDecimusKappa ;) pattern DW. I had time restraints so I had to make sure I would end in time.

Belial: SoS and SB

Librarian: TDA. lvl 1,Force staff. PFG

Troops

2x 5 DWT: AC, TH&SS DSing

1x5 DWT: AC, TH&SS with dedicated LRC with DW upgrade

Elites

5 DWK

Heavy support

LRC with DW upgrade

Opponents list (aproximately)

LVl3 farseer

Lvl 2 farseer

2x 10 Dire avengers in wave serpent with starcannons

6 Wraitguard with flamey thingys in WS with scatter lasers

Wraithknight with sun? cannon

10? warpspiders with exarch

3 sentinels with starcannons and scateer lasers

Opponent chose deploy and went first, I didn't bother to steal initiative. He gets his 3 objectives and declares they will be difficult to fulfill.

He goes to teh midlle revealing mysterious objectives. He has no ranged damage capable of hurting LR's. Knowing that I move forward with confidence... because my 3 objectives were: kill a unit in my turn, kill a vehicle or monstrous creature, destroy a building or emplacement. 2 out of 3 aren't bad.

His second turn only movement and appearence of sentinels

gallery_404_1264_710993.jpg

My second turn and this was my movement:
gallery_404_1264_1332224.jpg

Yes, those terminators are on hot water. going along the lenght of teh table didn't give me much choice on place to drop them closer or more in cover. Or maybe I was having a brainfart.. or both. In any case I open up with AC and bolter goodness and destroy all the sentinels: First blood, one unit wiped so that's 2 points... but wait!!! Brainfart arrives again and I forget to collect another objective: destroy vehicle or monstrous creature.

His 3rd turn and he kills 2 termie squads and the librarian... those wraithflamers are nasty nasty nasty.

I pick up another card and: capture objective 6.. but I have wraithkinght and wraithguards between me and the objective. Ok then: Belial and his buddies disgorge from LR , LR's give supporting fire to take one wound out of WK... in assault phase i loose one DWK, blial takes 1 wound out of the thing and the knights manage to wiff four out of eight 2+ to wound rolls.. my opponent promplty passes 2 armour saves, leaving the abomination standing with one wound.

Next turn the wraiths try to flame the LR's unucessfully, kills the rest of the remaining DWT squad and the WK falls to Belial flesh-rending sword.. I get no point because it was his turn. My turn Belial get his the LR and tehy try to barge away the Wraithguard with a tank shock. In the meantime there are wave serpents flying around and jinking with 2+ save the occasional AC shots I throw at them.

In the last turn he backs up with the WS and I shoot some Wraithguard on my way to objective 6... a disembark move and a 1" disctate I'm about 3" or so from the objective capture... But game ends and I get 1 tactical objective, first blood and line breaker vs a single line breaker. His reveals his objectives and luck didn't want anything with him:

Objective 1: destroy a flyer.. Nope. Impossible! Make a unit fail a morale or pinning test... Nope!Impossible! Capture and control all 6 objectives.. also difficult.

So, I think tactical objectives are the way to go!!! best edition ever . ;)

Next up: unit by unit analysis.

Belial: His sword of killing very big stuff came in very handy.

DWK: Yes, they wiffed 4 out of 8 2+ to wound rolls, but the fortress of shields made them a tough nut to crack. Ithink they could still hav taken the wraithguard if time permited.

DWT: They shot bolters and AC's.. put some damage but were too little time on table top. My opponent had alot of firepower that forces 2+ saves

Librarian in TDA. His PFG was usefull but the sheer amount of ap2 breaks the 4++ and he whiffed his only psyker phase failing to cast a prescience and a foreboding. I think I will downgrade his TDAto power armour so I can add an extra lvl to him. Extra power and extra dice might come in handy.

LR's: Fortresses spewing dakka. Solid as ever. Wouls be nice to have the exra points for a MM though...

I like this list but I have the feeling that it will be hard to secure table objectives done due to limited mobility.. but only time will tell.

You were lucky that your friend did termy killing option for his War Walkers. Most Eldar players here run their war walkers with dual bright lances... That makes Landraider's... well, bit like frog in a boiling water. But thanks for Report. Eldar's fast movement is really annoying small and much slower elite force like Deathwing Army. Cyclone Missile launchers might be more optimal for DW against eldar's trying to force them to jink and or keep their serpent shields up. And the fact AC's range is 24" and I really don't like to let serpents get that close unchallenged. But that's just me.

And If I'd had played as Eldar, I would have definately used dual bright lances which is IMHO most optimal now, placed them on reserve and brought them outflanking. Their place on the field at the beginning of the game... Due av10 open topped 2 hp is screaming first blood, I would have used their strength: outflanking. There's not much DW army can hold out without PFG. But thanks for reporting.

He outflanked.. I just got the pounce on the Walkers. I disagree about bright lances being supreme vs Land raiders. I had PFG, DW vehicle and most brightlances are BS3, not eliable enough to stop 2 Land raiders in the first 2 turns.

Eldar's BS is 4 all vehicles and units. So 6 bright lance shots 4+ to glance 5 and 6 pene + 1 damage table and all shots hit 3+... Statistic speak for itself, however PFG is huge bonus for that. Still, I'd be careful not to underestimate bright lances. Of course if you want to know supreme weapon against landraider? Anywithing with armorbane or Melta but fireprisms s9 ap 1 lance strike isn't too shabby either.

I'm embarrassed since last time I played Elday only the Wraitholord has BS4, the vast majority of the army had BS3. I guess they got better over the years. Still more brightlances would be a problem for land raiders but a relief for terminators from all  that massed shooting, still I don't think the result would be that different.

Thanks for the report Luci. The reports I'm hearing about the new mission types suggests that 7th might be a good edition, quibbles over the still-not-great vehicle rules aside. I shall have to pick up a copy and give it a whirl soon. :)

First off... love the dice. Those are my favorites of all the ones out, and I have about 30 left of 3-4 different shades. Love em.

Nice batrep, as you know I'm a huge fan of the Tactical Objectives. But what you're experiencing with the termeis is just too common for myself. Too many things simply remove the 2+ save, unlike the beginning of 6th where I felt TDA was fairly worth the points.

Belial was beastly which is nice to see.

Archived