Libraian load out?

thepowerofwar

So now with the powers not counting as shooting, I am now temped to give in a gun.  Like an infurnus pistol or a plasma depending on what squad he ends up in.  I have always been against giving him anything but with the change is it worth it or should he stay bare bones?

I do think I'm going to be gluing a storm bolter to my TDA force axe and storm shield Librarians hip.

That will look way cool. Used to take a storm bolter on mine but ditched it in favour of the extra cc attack with having a bolt pistol.

I do think I'm going to be gluing a storm bolter to my TDA force axe and storm shield Librarians hip.

That will look way cool. Used to take a storm bolter on mine but ditched it in favour of the extra cc attack with having a bolt pistol.

Neither of those are legal options. You can only take one of either Storm Shield or Storm Bolter, and you can't take a bolt pistol with Terminator armour at all.

Pistol to maximize close combat, don't worry about fancy shooting. I agree with the sentiment above - what's the point? He's not actually any better at shooting than a random tactical sergeant. There's no one shooting weapon that's worth pouring more points onto an HQ that your opponent will already be gunning for.

Neither of those are legal options. You can only take one of either Storm Shield or Storm Bolter, and you can't take a bolt pistol with Terminator armour at all.

I use power armour. Don't see the point in paying points for losing sweeping advance. You can give a storm bolter to a model in power armour, but why lose the extra cc attack

Thepower I hope you don't mind if I add a sidebar question in relation to this. I am building my libby's as well and am wondering what you guys use for a Force weapon on a guy with and without a Jump Pack? Force axe? I saw staff is that pretty common or just a Force Sword? So is the consensus seem to be keep it cheap and no plasma pistol?

DoC

I used an axe last edition as the sergeant would take the challenge, leaving the libby to swing back at leisure. Now that an overkilled serge may spill wounsd onto the libby/squad, getting his attacks off faster may be an option.

Someone did the math that said:

Against T4 3+ saves only, the sword is the best option.

Against an army with worse saves or higher T, the staff is better, against 2+ saves the axe is better.

I'm now thinking staff and biomancy to get the high S smash monster if possible (and smite primaris helps deal with the 2+ saves). Enfeeble makes an MEQ T3, which is also instant death from the S6 staff, no need for force. They synergise well (which is also why Ahriman/biomancy will be much better this edition). The staff also does not waste warp speed, if he gets it (unlike the axe).

Take the axe if the libby is protected, or in TDA. Sword if you're facing MEQ only.

I think the staff is a great option now.

Good check.  I had modeled it so long ago (then very rarely fielded it), that I had forgotten it was one of the options, not TDA with any of the options puchaseable.  Power shield over storm bolter, for certain.  Model stays as is.

I modeled a forceaxe on my liby in 5th and kept it there. Considering were BA its not hard to get FC on the charge for whatever squad the liby is accompanying. S6 AP2 power weapon attacks (even if striking at I1) is nothing to sniff at. I tend to call challenges with himn because I play for fun and my warlord refusing a challenge is no-go for me rolleyes.gif normally I also have SP nearby though which gives him an (sort of) 5+ invul save.

He survives more often then not and then goes to axe a target to pieces devil.gif considering ive never played him as a lvl2 I never did get to try force as well.... Might make him even more lethal! drool.gif

My jump librarian has an axe and a hand flamer.  He has the hand flamer basically because I liked the way it looks and for overwatch, but hey, now he can use powers and shoot it.

My terminator libby is the Space Hulk one with a storm shield rather than the storm bolter.

True, but your fifteen point pistol will be hitting on sixes most of the time. That was my point smile.png

That was what I meant. I may not have 4++ when I want to hit now, but I'll still have T5 to rely on, FNP from my Biker Priest and mobility to find my own cover.

My jump librarian has an axe and a hand flamer.  He has the hand flamer basically because I liked the way it looks and for overwatch, but hey, now he can use powers and shoot it.

My terminator libby is the Space Hulk one with a storm shield rather than the storm bolter.

Lol, I have that exact setup. 

Old metal librarian with 2nd ed hand flamer! 

Archived