Sons of Horus log

Welcome one and all to my new project - the Sons of Horus.

This blog will hopefully document the weekly progress as I slowly build 1500 points of playable chaos marines.

So why 40k? Why not 30k? Well some of the members of my local club aren't likely to let me play the 30k marine list. Also if I fancy popping along to tournaments having standard CSM makes it easier to find events. I do plan to use the Black Legion supplement for my list so expect to see lots of chosen.

I suppose I better mention here that if you expect to see a pure FW army then you may be upset. I have a huge collection of old marine and chaos bits that I really want to get used up with this project. However, there will be FW parts being used in many of my units. I'm also lucky enough to have a collection of old 3rd edition tanks that will finally see some paint.

The company I am building will be a rag tag group with an assortment of weapons and armour made up from the full spectrum of GW kits. The warband are meant to be fleeing just after the defeat at Terra so I'm planning on battle damage and mixed marks of armour. I'm also going to refrain from anything overtly mutated or too chaos as I just don't like it and don't think it fits the theme.

To get things started I wish to show you the green I have settled upon for armour. You will have to forgive the poor photo. I was planning on borrowing a camera but couldn't lay my grubby paws on it.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/duffybear1988/20140601_140851_zpsjtrtxl7w.jpg

Let me know what you think of the colour and the conversion. He is meant to be my sorcerer.

The green is painted like this -

1) PP cryx bane base over black undercoat.

2) badab black wash.

3) devlan mud wash.

4) layer on cryx bane base.

5) 50/50 mix of snot green and cryx bane base.

6) 60/40 mix of snot green and cryx bane base.

7) thrakka green wash.

8) selected highlights with 70/30 snot green and cryx bane base.

It was my first time working with Privateer Press paint and so far I'm pretty impressed with it.

This is what I'm aiming to complete for my army. It's chosen using the Black Legion supplement.

HQ

1 sorcerer, lv2, terminator armour, psychic familiar, force staff, votlw, biomancy.

Elites

3 terminators, 3 combi plasma, 2 power axes, 1 lightning claw, votlw.

Troops

14 marines, 2 plasma guns, votlw.

8 chosen, 4 meltaguns, votlw, rhino.

8 chosen, 4 meltaguns, votlw, rhino.

Fast Attack

7 raptors, 2 flamers, votlw, power sword and melta bombs.

Heavy Support

1 predator, autocannon, lascannon sponsons.

1 predator, autocannon, lascannon sponsons.

1 vindicator, havoc launcher, dozer blade.

Total = 1500 points.

nice start^^ 

Nice conversion & I look forward to more. The green however is to dark for my taste.

i like it, maybe a little bit blue in it would be cool but it's good.

I'm not a fan of the bright sea green as I think it's a bit too bright and gaudy. I figured that they would get dirty and the armour would darken down, especially once they had turned to the dark side.  

I dig the conversion, looks really cool. I I like the green - a whole army would look awesome. Are you going to be weathering them?

Thanks. I do plan to weather them as well.

Sorry - I edited as you posted - where is the staff top from btw? smile.png

It's from a necromunda wyrd figure. I had to scour Ebay just to find one and unfortunately they aren't cheap these days. I thought it was pretty fitting given that the eye is such a great motif for the SoH.

Nice find, it looks really cool. If it was expensive, it was worth the price - will be a great draw to the, ahem, eye when its painted biggrin.png

Thanks for the kind words. I was really torn on using it as the original wyrd is such a cool figure as well. I almost felt bad hacking it off. :)

Do you think this skin tone would suitable for a marine? I'm undecided right now. Maybe something a bit more tanned?

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/duffybear1988/IMG_0636.jpg

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/duffybear1988/IMG_0628.jpg

On one hand it's dead easy to paint, but on the other I fear it a tad too pale and washed out.

Any opinions?

My wrist is holding out at the moment (RSI can be a real pain) so I have made good progress this morning.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/duffybear1988/20140608_124447_zpsdjv8bvur.jpg

I've started on the skin and basecoating the scroll work, skulls and cloak. I also tried a bit of weathering while I was waiting for the washes to dry.

Let me know what you think.

Archived