Need help with overwatch rules

Allow me a newb gameplay question:

I haven't played since 5th ed. and am newbish to playing in general, so the overwatch and snap shot idea is novel to me.

Was playing some practice with my girlfriend and we ran into an issue with overwatch.

My question is, overwatch is resolved at WS 1, so 6+.

But are overwatch shooters allowed to fire to their full attacks and full weapon effect?

The example was when her assault terms charged my shooty terms (3x storm bolters, 1x ass cannon).

Do my overwatch shooters get their 2 attacks to the full effect of the weapon?  So would I get 3x2x2 = 12 storm bolter overwatch shots PLUS 2x4 = 8 ass cannon shots, at all 6+ to hit?  Or does each model in the charged unit only get 1 overwatch shot?

We couldn't find anything in the rules for overwatch or snap shots that answered this.

Also, what about a CML?  Could the guy with the ass cannon have gotten 1 ass cannon shot and 1 CML shot on overwatch?

Thanks!

Overwatch is a shooting attack at BS1, you fire all of the weapons at their profiles. You don't multiple the shots by your combat attacks. Once the overwatch is resolved you fight in combat as normal.

You can fire Krak CML but not Frag, because its a blast weapon.

the Attacks characteristic is melee attacks, not shooting ones. so so in your example its 6 storm bolter shots and 4 assault cannon shots. like said above firing kraks yes, frags no, as they are blast. also afaik you cant have both a assault cannon and a CLM in the same model

Only ever played 1 abbreviated game with a friend in 5th using his armies and it was over 2 years ago, so I was trying to remember to how the shooting phase went! blink.png My brain ain't what it used to be with old age!

Thanks for the clarification(s)! Sure I'll be back in more need! tongue.png

You shoot the full value of the weapon profile (Assault X, Heavy X, Rapid Fire, where X is equal to the number listed on the weapon).  The only things that cannot fire overwatch are Vehicles, Witchfires, and Blasts.  The exception to vehicles is an open-topped transport that has passengers embarked, again at BS1.  Templates follow the Wall of Death rule and are D3 per template.

Only 1 overwatch per unit can be fired.  So if the first charge fails, you cannot overwatch another squad about to charge you.

Templates follow the Wall of Death rule and are D3 per template.

Still trying to suffle my way through all the rules before taking games off the living room coffee table.  Can you clarify this?  You can overwatch your flamers (or heavy flamers) at BS1--provided the charging unit is w/in range of the template--just not weapons that fire blast templates (e.g. plas cannon or frag missile)?  I'm unsure of what Wall of Death is, and don't have the book to had at the moment.

Thanks!

Archived