Has anyone tried the Thunderhead Squadron?

xnickbaranx

This is actually a multipart question:

1) With the new edition are the formations from Warzone: Pandorax legal in a Battle Forged detachment?

2) Has anyone tried out the Thunderhead Squadron from Warzone: Pandorax?

Creating a bubble that completely blocks line of sight is really intriguing to me. You effectively create an ~18" line (6" between each Dark Shroud and the 2+" of each model) that you can use to protect your advancing Ravenwing or a Landraider full of DWK's, or even to obscure 60 Tacticals huddled around a Banner of Dev - theoretically.

Has anyone toyed with this? Its a lot of points, about ~550 right (I don't have my Codex handy).

Are there any other current DA formations beside the Thunderhead Squadron and the Talon of Vengeance?

IIRC, those formations are "Apocalypse only" so you can't use them in standard games.

In this wide open world of 7th Edition, will they be Apocalypse only? I ask because there is nothing on the formations themselves to indicate that they are, nor in the introduction to the Formation section of the book.

That isn't to say I don't agree with you: 1) They are in Apocalypse Warzone: Pandorax and 2) On page 3 it states:

"The background is followed by special rules, Strategic Assets, missions and Apocalypse Formations."

But that's strictly out of the intro to a book that was written before non-Apocalypse formations existed (by a small margin), and that's as close to an "Apocalypse Only" stamp as they get. I'm curious if GW will open this field wider with a FAQ that clarifies what formations will continue to be Apocalypse only. 

I know I'm really intrigued by the formation concept as another way engage in a more immersive Dark Angel experience and Jervis clearly explains that's the intent with their inclusion.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if they FAQ them in, or create all new DA formations at some point. I'd like to see either happen honestly.

For those who play Apocalypse... Have any of you tried the Thunderhead Squadron?

I've looked at it. but haven't played it. I like the idea, but when you consider that you are going up against another armies shooting with all the ignores cover tat exists. it may not be as good as it should be. they will just prioritize the darkshroud first and then hit the rest of your army with long range shooting. I think you will really have to plan out how you are going to use it. would it be in advance of your raven wing? flyers? a group of deathwing that have just landed? its a tough call. i am curious to hear if anyone else's opinion is on it. 

just so were clear on the rules for dicussion its a squadron of darkshrouds, and the rule is that the group is treated as line of sight blocking for everything behind it. 

Yeah. I really want to try it in a game. Back in 3rd Edition when Smoke Grenades were introduced in Chapter Approved I was a huge fan. A handful of Scouts could really impede line-of-sight. And this is an 18" los blocker, not just 6". That can protect a whole lot of stuff. Sure, they'll focus all of their fire on the Thunderhead, unless maybe you drop a Drop Pod or Termies as a decoy.

But yeah, you could lose 300 pts Turn One as your opponent guns down your Dark Shrouds and then leave your advancing army in the wide open. You'd have to play it smart, but it could be fun.

I'd like to try it.

But that's strictly out of the intro to a book that was written before non-Apocalypse formations existed (by a small margin), and that's as close to an "Apocalypse Only" stamp as they get. I'm curious if GW will open this field wider with a FAQ that clarifies what formations will continue to be Apocalypse only.

Like you've said, it is an Apocalypse add on. So the stamps is unnecessary.

I know that now with unbound armies and superheavies integrated in v7, GW gives the feeling that there's no more restrictions and everything is allowed... But Apocalypse is still a separated book and so is the fortress book...

So I still consider the content of Pandorax, Damnos and other Apoc books as Apoc only. Simply because even the last Iyanden/nids one is made exactly the same though made post non Apoc formation and with v7 in mind.

Well for the argument the fortress book doesn't really hold water since its basically authorized within the battle forged force org and is referenced outright in the BRB. But hey do what you want, you've got the right to deny anyone a game... I would argue this is one of the few things that is a boon to unbound, since most apocalypse formations are too many points to field in a normal game, but this one you could field with relative ease (points wise) and would be cool to see in action.

Archived