Question regarding Detachments..

Raeven

Some of the guys I know are interpreting the ability to take any number of detachments, as allowing you to take multiple detachments from the same codex.

For example, taking one detachment of Warlord, Elite, 2 Troops...and repeating it twice more.

I was under the impression that all units from the same Faction (Codex) had to be in a single detachment?

One of the benefits of 7th is there are no limits to the number of detachments you can use. So in a "battle-forged" army you can have multiple "combined-arms" detachements, each with a different chapter tactic if it takes your fancy. You could also ally in some other chapters too, no limit to number of detachments they can take either. I dont have the BRB on me atm but im sure somekind soul will give the page reference.

Since every codex may now ally with themselves you are no longer restriceted in that sense in the new 7th edition rules.  One Detachment is called the primary (your pick) and that is the one the warlord is in.  All other detachments could be allied or combined arms and can be from any codex following the allies matrix.

[edit]

You could also look at it as they took away the 2000 point requirement for multiple FOC armies.

Since every codex may now ally with themselves you are no longer restriceted in that sense in the new 7th edition rules.  One Detachment is called the primary (your pick) and that is the one the warlord is in.  All other detachments could be allied or combined arms and can be from any codex following the allies matrix.

[edit]

You could also look at it as they took away the 2000 point requirement for multiple FOC armies.

I'm sure the combines arms detachement must be from the same faction (codex) otherwise there would be no point in the allies detachment.

I don't see any such restrictions. Only that an allies detachment must be from a different codex than your primary detachment.

Why take an Allies detachment?  Less overhead for the unit you really need. 

[edit]

wait, I may have misunderstood the statement.

A Combined Arms detachment must all be from the same codex.  This is true.   However, a Battle Forged army may have 2 or more Combined Arms detachments each from different codices. 

Exactly. If you're allying with yourself (unless you're SM and don't mind a different Chapter Tactic) you're paying a tax of an extra compulsory troop choice to get to the other FOC slots.

You may take unlimited Detachments of any type, whether it's Combined Arms, Allied, or some as-yet-unknown detachment. 

What they mean by "must belong to only one detachment" is like thus, with two Detachments (D):

D1

Captain Party-Pants

Scout Squad Verily

Tactical Squad Monkeytime

+ friends

D2

Captain Party-Pants
Scout Squad Verily

+ friends

That's illegal, because you're counting Captain Party-Pants and his flunkies as the minimal 1 HQ and 2 Troops for both detachments.

D1
Captain Party-Pants
Scout Squad Verily
+ friends

D2
Chaplain McBeaty
Scout Squad Hot Fluff
Tactical Squad ANGRY
+ friends

Now, that's legal, because you're taking two different HQ's and four different Troops, to satisfy the requirements of both Combined Arms Detachments.

I don't see any such restrictions. Only that an allies detachment must be from a different codex than your primary detachment.

Why take an Allies detachment?  Less overhead for the unit you really need. 

[edit]

wait, I may have misunderstood the statement.

A Combined Arms detachment must all be from the same codex.  This is true.   However, a Battle Forged army may have 2 or more Combined Arms detachments each from different codices.

Yes you are right! The allies rule doesn't even specify that allies can only be taken in the allied detachment. I don't know if I'm overjoyed or not but the rocking back and forth suggests the latter.

So what you're saying is that an army can have 3 combined arms detachments, each from a different codex. This can't be right, it can't be. No No No No ..

One new wrinkle though seems to be that Supplements now count as being part of the main Codex "Faction", and thus now can ally in only as Combined Arms detachments (and not as Allies, as was the case in 6th) - so if say, you want some Crimson Slaughter allies for your CSM, it's now going to cost you another (admittedly cheap) Troops (Cultist) choice to do so. 

Edit: Based on the below discussion, I stand corrected, at least as far as my example goes - the Crimson Slaughter Supplement contains the same rule about allying with CSMs that the Black Legion Supplement does, so the Slaughter can still ally with CSM via an Allied Detachment. 

One new wrinkle though seems to be that Supplements now count as being part of the main Codex "Faction", and thus now can ally in only as Combined Arms detachments (and not as Allies, as was the case in 6th) - so if say, you want some Crimson Slaughter allies for your CSM, it's now going to cost you another (admittedly cheap) Troops (Cultist) choice to do so.

For Supplements like Iyanden and Clan Raccoon, this would be correct, but Supplements like Farsight and Black Legion override this still, and haven't been errata'd otherwise, yet.

So they still operate like Codex:Space Marines with different Chapter Traits.

You can't 'ally with yourself' by taking an allied detachment though, just to be clear. You can have 2 CA detachments from the same faction (or different faction), and/or 2 allied detachments from the same (or different) factions, but you cannot take an allied detachment from your primary detachment's faction.

This means you can't take 3 troops (and 2 hqs) to unlock 4 elites/fa/hs - you'd have to take multiple combined arms detachments (n HQs and 2n troops minimum to free up 3n of each other role). If your warlord is from a DIFFERENT detachment/faction, however, you can mix and match CA and allied detachments how you like within a faction.

Not sure that WAS clear, after all.

You can't 'ally with yourself' by taking an allied detachment though, just to be clear. You can have 2 CA detachments from the same faction (or different faction), and/or 2 allied detachments from the same (or different) factions, but you cannot take an allied detachment from your primary detachment's faction.

This means you can't take 3 troops (and 2 hqs) to unlock 4 elites/fa/hs - you'd have to take multiple combined arms detachments (n HQs and 2n troops minimum to free up 3n of each other role). If your warlord is from a DIFFERENT detachment/faction, however, you can mix and match CA and allied detachments how you like within a faction.

Not sure that WAS clear, after all.

In most cases, correct. However, the part about Codex: Space Marines still being able to have an Allied Detachment with a different Chapter Tactic still is alive, kicking, and slightly reinforced in the FAQ.

A few other Supplements, like Black Legion, also have similar rules as well that HAVEN'T been removed.

Archived