Working on an Iron Warriors Scheme

So, i've finally decided to start an Iron Warriors army after much procrastination. 

The first step, to me, of starting any army, is developing a paint scheme. I didn't want my Iron Warriors to just be shiny silver, to me that screams "Grey Knight". And boltgun metal with lots of black wash looks awesome, but this forum is already full of amazing armies using that technique. 

So here's the basecoat applied to my test models, which represents their worn and battered metallic armour.

Where should I go from here, in terms of trim and details? And what do you guys think of this base colour? 

10430374_601374326626681_904176135435299

I have always loved the trim for Iron Warriors being a worn brass. Nothing says old and bitter like a turquoise discoloration in spots of the trim as well.

Go darker.

Yes. The discolouration you have there is interesting, but a lot of the metal still looks too bright imho.That said, the trim etc isn't in place yet, and some of the brightness will be curtailed by that - you could always apply the trim and look at darkening the armour afterwards if you think it needs it?

I always think bronze looks good as a trim colour on Iron Warriors, but the brass suggestions are solid too.

10001577_557270424370405_549702660_n.jpg

Here's the same (dis)colouration but darker.

Opinions?

This is great man, how did you get that slightly reddish tint to it?

Now, on to actual advice: what you've got there is great, but over an entire army, it can get a bit tiring on the eye. I'd recommend having random models either darker or lighter in shade. After all, after 10,000 years of warfare, no two iron-shod suits of battle plate are going to have the same coloring, are they?

I also agree with Minigun. Hazard stripes are too often just an eyesore on Iron Warriors.

Back when I did Iron Warriors (3rd Ed) I used Hawk Turquoise as my spot color. The greenish blue of it really breaks up the monotony of the dark iron and brass colors, and really works well for scraps of cloth, helmet topknots, and (when properly highligted) glowing plasma-weapon heat sinks.

Keep it up though man, I really hope you post an awesome Warsmith pic soon :D

10001577_557270424370405_549702660_n.jpg

Here's the same (dis)colouration but darker.

Opinions?

This is great man, how did you get that slightly reddish tint to it?

Now, on to actual advice: what you've got there is great, but over an entire army, it can get a bit tiring on the eye. I'd recommend having random models either darker or lighter in shade. After all, after 10,000 years of warfare, no two iron-shod suits of battle plate are going to have the same coloring, are they?

I also agree with Minigun. Hazard stripes are too often just an eyesore on Iron Warriors.

Back when I did Iron Warriors (3rd Ed) I used Hawk Turquoise as my spot color. The greenish blue of it really breaks up the monotony of the dark iron and brass colors, and really works well for scraps of cloth, helmet topknots, and (when properly highligted) glowing plasma-weapon heat sinks.

Keep it up though man, I really hope you post an awesome Warsmith pic soon biggrin.png

Thanks dude! It's actually just leadbelcher with purple wash, followed by a heavier sepia wash. The heaviness of the sepia wash is what made it darker in this instance.

And because of the way in which it's painted, every model will look pretty different. They will all have differing levels of purple and brown to their reddishness. I actually planned on having my former destroyers (counts-as havocs) being more corroded with much stranger discolourations due to their strange weapons. I also wanted to have sorcerers and other somewhat 'mystical' members of the army being a little shinier.

The discolouration of the metal will be essentially uniform, but shades and tints will vary based on the role. Once exams are over, I am ridiculously keen to dive into this project :D

Ah, hawk turquoise. Already planned on that for my spot colour :p Bitter, paranoid machine lovers think alike!

Archived