DA reading material

Noxnoctis22

As a soon to be new player of DA I'm looking to get as more info as I can of them. I've already read the codex front to back but I was hoping for more. Where else would I turn for more DA fluff and background information?

Side note, I'm in the middle of the 3rd book in the Horus Heresy novels, "The Flight of the Eisenstein". I've really enjoyed all these books so far.

Fallen Angels and Descent of Angels are two really good Horus Heresy books that detail the meeting of the Emperor and the lead up to it, as well as the events that trigger the heresy on caliban.

Both are well worth a read but both also have some pretty big flaws in terms of they present the Lion or handle the telling of the story, in many people's opinion. Some of the later Heresy short stories and novellas have done a better job of depicting them.

If you haven't already read it, Angels of Darkness is a pretty foundational text for DAs.

Key thing to remember with DA fiction is that ALL 40k and Heresy fluff suffers from "an unreliable narrator" meaning that what you are presented with might be skewed, true but only from a certain point of view, or just plain wrong. GW and Black Library embrace this as part of the setting's charm. This seems to go doubly for Dark Angels, due to their deliberate air of mystery and the large numbers of authors who have had a go at them. In a way it very much fits with our fluff as well - there are conflicting legends and not everything is as it seems. But it's all worth a read and enjoyable to then think about it and make up your own mind as to what you think.

Aegnor pretty much hit the nail on the head. Fall of Angels is a must read but I could barely get through it. Same with angels of darkness for me.

Savage Weapons I thought was good but being a short story obviously not enough length same for The Lion.

I was impressed with Unremembered Empire because even though it is a primarily Ultramarines book I think it gave a large "good" representation of the First Legion and the Lion as a whole.

The new Ravenwing and Master of Sanctity are supposed to be great.

The last one I know of is Purging of Kalidus (Spelling?) and it was ok I thought.

The first four Horus Heresy novels are my favorite books bar none. Next would probably be Fear to Tread and Know No Fear (No DA in either of these). I am surprised to find the Horus Heresy books push me to want to start Ultramarines even though most of the codex fluff makes me want to throw them under the bus.

Anyway hope that's a helpful start. Be warned reading Heresy novels has been known to get individuals (namely me) to start multiple armies and be accused of being a gutless flip flopper (by my wife............and she's right) so you have been warned lock up your wallet now.

DoC

Don't forget Deathwing or the Tale of Two Talking Heads.... should be mandatory reading even though it's a bit dated.

Contrary to popular opinion I actually liked Fallen Angels - or at least the non heretical scum sucking traitor parts were good.  Nemial and Zaharial (sp?)  are forgettable characters - as described in the other thread on here about them.  The fight scene was pretty good and I've been meaning to re-read it skipping  the Caliban chapters.

Also there is Pandorax  which is only ok. 

Skip on the Audio version, I wish I did.  You won't get the horrible voice over of Azrael out of your head.  

Well I guess I need to power through "The Flight of the Eisenstein" then so I can start up with "Descent of Angels" and "Fallen Angels". Even if they aren't the best reads in the world I can make do. I've read plenty of so-so books but they were worth it as I enjoyed the subject matter enough to make up for the other short comings.

Here is all of Dark Angels fiction set in the 41st millennium, available on the Black Library website.

Below are the links to the Horus Heresy stories concerning the Dark Angels:

Descent of Angels (book 6)

Tales of Heresy (book 10) - for the short story "Call of the Lion"

Fallen Angels (book 11)

Savage Weapons - a short story from the "Age of Darkness" anthology (book 16)

The Lion - a novella from the "Primarchs" anthology (book 20)

Prince of Crows - a novella from the "Shadows of Treachery" anthology (book 22)

The Unremembered Empire (book 27)

Enjoy!

Archived