is 7th ed "Rise of the Mad-dreads" ?

BloodTzar

Hello brothers,

with having quick look at the new rules, vehicles got significant boost over 6th ed (specially dreads).

We might be seeing a rise of our DC dreads and finally place them on table for a reason;

1. Hammer of Wrath to all that touches the base -  very solid S10 AP - in I 10

2. 7+ explode - combined with the rule that ignores stunned shaken DC dread is very durable even with AV12(10 - weak spot)

3. Charge Charge Charge - well with 5A on charge with fleet over the top of the large base sheningans this thing is a made for an assault.

4. Melta, Magna, flamer -  this thing is still capable of doing some shooting therefore its not a utter waste to have him out of combat for a turn

5. Price tag - comming down to a very reasonable price for all the goodies, specially in troops sections (for those who wants to do bound armies) 

Overall, the DC dread got very solid boost, for a reasonable price I assume I might be placing mine into SR much more often now, perhaps FW drop pod.

~BT

Having just put together a DC dread I too am wondering this/looking forward to trying it out.

I think that the major weakness still is that rear armour 10 and low number of hull points (relatively). Whilst on vehicles you can usually fairly well hide the rear armour it or at least make it harder to get to. The moment a dread is in combat, and wins (hopefully), it will typically be stuck out in the open with a less than an ideal facing. Leaving it very vulnerable to the next turn of shooting. So I guess hope that it takes two rounds of combat to mincemeat the foe?? 

/salute

Hello brothers,

with having quick look at the new rules, vehicles got significant boost over 6th ed (specially dreads).

We might be seeing a rise of our DC dreads and finally place them on table for a reason;

1. Hammer of Wrath to all that touches the base -  very solid S10 AP - in I 10

2. 7+ explode - combined with the rule that ignores stunned shaken DC dread is very durable even with AV12(10 - weak spot)

3. Charge Charge Charge - well with 5A on charge with fleet over the top of the large base sheningans this thing is a made for an assault.

4. Melta, Magna, flamer -  this thing is still capable of doing some shooting therefore its not a utter waste to have him out of combat for a turn

5. Price tag - comming down to a very reasonable price for all the goodies, specially in troops sections (for those who wants to do bound armies) 

Overall, the DC dread got very solid boost, for a reasonable price I assume I might be placing mine into SR much more often now, perhaps FW drop pod.

~BT

1. Rarely will you have a situation where you can get in b2b with more than one model considering the charge rules. Hammer of wrath is also base strength only.

3. It's actually 6 attacks on the charge thanks to 'rage'

I've been pretty happy with the Furioso Libby dread in this edition so far as well.  I miss Wings of Sang on him, but this is a great way to get another mastery level 2 librarian into the mix.  Also, if you can get him into close combat against non-threatening MEQ ... he doesn't really require the use of his powers, making him an effective warp battery for your other librarians.

Being able to get into that "safe" close combat will vary depending on your opponent, though.

I'm still not sure what Psychic Discipline the dreadnought benefits most from.

I've had good experience with the furioso lib as well, unless you run into some serious warp charge spam. The regular librarian is still way too expensive, but the ML2 dread is now actually decently priced. Mephiston is still my go to man, every extra warp charge helps.

So far I've used him almost exclusively to cast blessings, telepathy is still best. Getting witch fires off was difficult enough in the last edition so avoid those when possible. Though some of the nova powers in particular could work really well for a podded unit. 

Late game if he's still around he can make for an expendable psyker as sometimes you just need a certain power to go through. Last game for example Mephiston was in dire straits so I used the furioso lib to 7-dice an 'invisibility' on him. The risk of perils didn't bother me too much seeing as he was expendable and my warlord was not. 

While it's more difficult to get off 'force' these days the general improvements to walkers and nerf to 'smash' makes them quite capable of dealing with MC heavy lists.

Furioso:

Lascannon needs a 5 or 6, followed by a 6 to one shot it. Thats 1/18 Assuming BS4, thats a 1/27 chance to one shot it.

Those are pretty good odds.

Missile launchers now have no ability to one shot them.

S6 spam does nothing.

Things are looking good for Furiosos now. 

BloodTzar, when you say 'FW pod' do you mean the lucius? If so, just to throw my tuppence in I would auto-select them if it weren't for the fact they only give shrouded for the first game turn. Which makes them useless if you go second unless your oppo has interceptors. Ok so it's only 15 points if you are dropping one dread, but one dread is never enough. Not sure how people fare when they run just one, but I find the best mix is a turn one drop of two fraggy dreads, one DC blender and a strong assault squad with corbulo. A mutually-supporting headache for most oppos, but using all lucius pods would be a bit much in this case, the points could be spent more reliably elsewhere.

^^ I thought the benefit of the Lucius was that it was an assault vehicle, and the dread did not have to disembark when it landed, meaning your opponent first had to crack the shell, before they cracked the nuts inside.

Maybe that was an older version of the rules.

The old rules were awesome, assault in turn 1 yes please!

I may be wrong but I think there is misconception over the newer rules. The wording is that the dread gains shrouded so long as it remains on any part of the pod including its doors. But this doesn't alter the rules that the doors open on landing and that a model disembarks on the turn the pod lands. I suppose at a stretch it means you could leave the dread on the centre of the pod, but it still counts as being disembarked.

Best you can do is move the dread so the body of the pod obscures it, so with shrouded you still get 3+ cover which is pretty awesome.

Archived