First purchase(s) for a DA army

Noxnoctis22

I know I've touched on the topic before in my other post but I want to dedicate a single post to it here so it can be a more focused discussion.

Here are a few options of where I could start.

1 - The DV Box Set - More than likely I'd just go to eBay to pick up just the DA units as the CSM units aren't needed. Out of the Company Master, Librarian Turmiel, Veteran Sergeant & Tactical Squad, Deathwing Terminator Squad and a Ravenwing Bike Squadron are they all a good purchase or are some not worth it? Can anybody recommend a particular eBay store/seller? 

2 - DA Battleforce - Seems great and all but it's just bikes. Seems like I would need to purchase much more before I can field a "legal" army. Steer clear of this or maybe pick it up later on?

3 - SM Strike Force Ultra - This is where I can see myself getting a good start on a Deathwing themed army. It comes with a Terminator Captain, 10 Space Marine Terminators, 10 Space Marine Assault Terminators, 1 Venerable Dreadnaught, 1 Stormraven Gunship and 1 Land Raider Crusader. When that's all packaged together you save $100 over buying them separately. The only unit I wouldn't use in my DA army is the Stormraven Gunship so I can either sell that make some $$$ back or keep it and use it in my SM army. Now I know it's a SM box set but my thinking it that if I pick up at least one Deathwing Terminator Squad box I can use the extra bits I have from that set to upgrade some of those SM Terminators to be more DA like. They also don't have the DA iconography but I'm going to create my own DA chapter anyway.

4 - Other units/models - What other units/models are "must-have" for a DA player? Have I overlooked anything else major?

Side note, I already have a 10 man Scout Squad with BP & CCW and a 5-6 man Scout Sniper Squad that I would try to integrate into my DA army if possible.

All of the DV DAs are worth it, just set your eBay filter to price+postage lowest first, you can pick upthe Co. Master and Libby for 2-3USD each. Instead of the Battle Force I'd get extra DV bikers as the BF is all older models.

Cheers,

Jono

buy dark vengeance, its $60 right now in stores as those stores who still have them in stock are trying to offload them before the new ones with 7th edition arrive. if your unable to get to a store and buy it then still getting dark vengeance is where i would start. id probably get dark vengeance and id also buy a rhino/razorback kit. the rhino/razorback will let you transport troops around and thats something vital to a good SM army. you need your mobility. when an enemy robs you of your deepstrike, your troop carriers, or your other fast moving vehicles they have delt a noticeable blow to your army.

one thing id also look at in the future after you have secure a rulebook for 7th (assuming you havent already here) is the maelstrom cards. they will save you from having to roll a d66 (not a typo)

Dark Vengeance is AWESOME for starting into a DA army.

The BattleForce is a very, very small (but legal) army IF you convert the speeder into Sableclaw (1 3-bike squad, 1 3-bike squad with Attack Bike, and Sableclaw as HQ to unlock the bikes as troops).  However, I'd only get it to augment existing RavenWing/other DA armies.

The Strike Force, though expensive indeed, looks like a great option for a DW force, and the CPT in it is a better pose than the one we have for Grand Master Belial (if you're going to do Belial with SB/SoS).  I think it's also a very, very DeathWing oriented force, though they package it as for the UltraSmurfs.

The battalion box set although bikes has pimp frames galore

I'd go for quality not quantity the death wing & ravenwing knights boxes have oodles of parts and there's plenty of stuff on the net on how to customise the starter set

Building a terminator with plasma cannon at the moment with dv termy but parts from death wing knights boxes, but I love converting and pimping the models that's just me

DV terminators + bits from another terminator boxes (i.e. the new DW box)= WIN

Bikes just switching torsos from another sets (but I prefer the RW boxes) gives you quite versatility. And remember that you can make your own bile libby and terminator libby.)

The DV is nice to make a multiwing force. If it's what you want then of for it. My only concerns is the bikes because the wing pole looks more like the black knights one rather than the standard RW bikes. What I suggest is to buy 2 plasma talons fronts and one RWGL front and 2 Corvus hammer in a bitz seller and turn them into BK. This way you'll get one of the best unit in our codex for cheap.

Now if you plan to make a DW army then the 1st UM company strike force is indeed a great deal. Personally, if I was in your situation (starting a totally new army) I would sell the storm raven for extra $$$ and buy DW bitz on bitz sellers to make them more DA.

The DA battalion box is indeed made for those wanting to make a RW army or develop the RW side of their existing army. If it's not what you plan then forget it... For now :rolleyes:

Blah, what's this "more DA" I'm hearing...

The overwhelming majority of my terminators started off as Vanilla Assault Terminators.  I did add some bits to them over time, but not many.  I hand painted DW Symbols on, and painted them the right color, and no one can tell me they're not Deathwing.  

If you want to do Deathwing, the UM Box is great.  You can easily make that into the core of your army, trade the Storm Raven for a LRC, and use the Captain as Belial.  If you use FW locally get a pair of Auto Cannons for the dread and run as a Mortis.  Purchase a DW Command box next.  You now have;

Belial

DW Command Squad -or- Deathwing Knights

DW Terminators x4 (You can use the additional heavy weapons from the DWCS to pimp these out)

Land Raider

Land Raider Crusader

Mortis Dreadnought

Sky is the limit from there on Deathwing.

2c.

Paul

DV terminators + bits from another terminator boxes (i.e. the new DW box)= WIN

Bikes just switching torsos from another sets (but I prefer the RW boxes) gives you quite versatility. And remember that you can make your own bile libby and terminator libby.)

if your going to make a Libby on a bike your best using a number of sets in a kitbash. I think the best looking one I have done so far is the librarian with cherub on a bike that I placed a veteran's box waist book over top of the guns.

My way as a new Son of the Lion would be... in order of purchase + loads of magnets msn-wink.gif

1. DV DA set x 2 (either as complete boxes or as bits from eBay)

2. Deathwing Knights/Command box

3. Ravenwing Knights/Command box

4. Predator

5. Razorback

6. Ravenwing Battleforce

Reasons:

DV DA are very nice models and are convertible.

2 sets gives you 6 bikes, 20 tacticals, 10 terminators, 2 Chapter masters and 2 Librarians

Build the DW Knights and use the spare parts to convert some of the DV terminators. Use magnets in the shoulders so you can swap and change between weapons.

Build the RW Knights and use the spare parts to convert 5 of the DV RW into a Command Squad.

Use one Librarian and one DV RW Sgt and convert into Librarian on bike.

Build the Predator using magnets so it is convertable between Rhino/Pred + all weapons options

Build the Razorback to convert between Rhino/Razorback

The RW Battleforce gives loads of pimp my DA bits along with another 6 Bikes, 1 attack bike and a Landspeeder.

Remember to use magnets in the LS and AB to swap weapons around. There is always a demand on eBay for any spare DA bits you have left over...

If you need to see about how to use the magnets check out my DA WIP thread and: Tutorial - Magnetising Vehicles

Or PM me.

One of the Company commanders can be sold off or converted as required.

This will give you:

1 Company Commander

1 Librarian on bike

1 Librarian on foot

Deathwing Command Squad

Deathwing Knights Squad

Deathwing Squad

Ravenwing Command Squad

Ravenwing Knights

Ravenwing Attack Squadron of 6 bikes, 1 attack bike and a LS

2 Tactical Squads

1 Rhino/Razorback

1 Pred/Rhino

My way as a new Son of the Lion would be... in order of purchase + loads of magnets msn-wink.gif

Just out of interest (for magnet virgins) which magnets do you use?

~I

Also the DV Master has the same load out as Azrael so perfect as a counts as.

Then your regular ravenwing/ deathwing squads count as troops too.

If you are worried about WYSIWYG then do a headswap and glue the winged helmet to a watcher from the deathwing command box.

DM

Just out of interest (for magnet virgins) which magnets do you use?

~I

Well, for all magnet virgins out there I used to use 2.5mm diameter x 1.5mm Neodymium disc magnets (N40) but these turned out to be a little weak for terminator arms and allowed occasional arm droop so I have now invested in a larger 3mm diameter x 1.5mm magnet (N52) for added strength.

Drill a 3mm hole in the torso on each side and a matching hole in each arm. Insert magnets using super glue ensure the polarity is correct!

Here is a link to a well known website. The trader shown is the one I usually by in bulk from and he provides excellent service.

For the LS/AB weapons you have to use a smaller magnet such as a 2mm diameter x 1.5mm magnet (N40) or it will not fit in the gunners handgrip.

For the vehicles see my tutorial (link in original post) for all the magnets used.

Also the DV Master has the same load out as Azrael so perfect as a counts as.

Then your regular ravenwing/ deathwing squads count as troops too.

If you are worried about WYSIWYG then do a headswap and glue the winged helmet to a watcher from the deathwing command box.

DM

Like this - I used the head from the RW command box, added a banner and chopped the sword from the watcher in the DW command box and replaced it with the winged helmet from the DV company commander. I think I swapped the powerpack too but I can't remember where I got it from :(

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/207/e/3/azrael_of_the_dark_angels_by_elmo9141-d6f9191.jpg

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/200/e/9/azrael_s_little_helper__by_elmo9141-d6e67mw.jpg

I know I've touched on the topic before in my other post but I want to dedicate a single post to it here so it can be a more focused discussion.

Here are a few options of where I could start.

1 - The DV Box Set - More than likely I'd just go to eBay to pick up just the DA units as the CSM units aren't needed. Out of the Company Master, Librarian Turmiel, Veteran Sergeant & Tactical Squad, Deathwing Terminator Squad and a Ravenwing Bike Squadron are they all a good purchase or are some not worth it? Can anybody recommend a particular eBay store/seller? 

2 - DA Battleforce - Seems great and all but it's just bikes. Seems like I would need to purchase much more before I can field a "legal" army. Steer clear of this or maybe pick it up later on?

3 - SM Strike Force Ultra - This is where I can see myself getting a good start on a Deathwing themed army. It comes with a Terminator Captain, 10 Space Marine Terminators, 10 Space Marine Assault Terminators, 1 Venerable Dreadnaught, 1 Stormraven Gunship and 1 Land Raider Crusader. When that's all packaged together you save $100 over buying them separately. The only unit I wouldn't use in my DA army is the Stormraven Gunship so I can either sell that make some $$$ back or keep it and use it in my SM army. Now I know it's a SM box set but my thinking it that if I pick up at least one Deathwing Terminator Squad box I can use the extra bits I have from that set to upgrade some of those SM Terminators to be more DA like. They also don't have the DA iconography but I'm going to create my own DA chapter anyway.

4 - Other units/models - What other units/models are "must-have" for a DA player? Have I overlooked anything else major?

Side note, I already have a 10 man Scout Squad with BP & CCW and a 5-6 man Scout Sniper Squad that I would try to integrate into my DA army if possible.

Cant really add much more than anyone else has already said.  Other than pointing out that the Storm Raven in the Strike Force Ultra is a fantastic addition to a DA force; with the Chapter house extension (or a scratch built one) you can create a Storm Eagle very easily - now you have a flying (DA Legal) Termie delivery system!! :)  Its also got a great weapons loadout to bring the pain to various targets; MM's and LasCans for Armour, or HB's and Missiles for Infantry shreading.

The more I look at that box set the more I appreciate GW for at long last reverting to selling deals that give us a discount for buying a bundle!!

Just my 2c :)

I think I swapped the powerpack too but I can't remember where I got it from sad.png

Awesome source!

Looks like one of the back packs/ banner pole from the DA vet sprue.

DM

Could be... I did have 4 of the vet sprues at one point. They are a great source, along with the RW battleforce, for extra bling for DA.

Thanks for all the input guys! I think what I'm going to end up doing it getting the DA half of the DV Box Set on eBay. I'm looking at about $50 for the Company Master, Librarian, Tactical Squad, Deathwing Terminator Squad and a Ravenwing Bike Squadron. That gives me a great starting base.

With the models I already have I'm going to strip the paint from my Terminators and maybe my Dreadnought from the AOBR Box Set. Giving me even more for my DA army.

They only "new" box I might pick up is the Deathwing Terminator Squad. That way I get 5 more Terminators and the extra DA bits from it.

A side note, some what related. I still have all the Orks from the AOBR Box Set and I have no need for them. Any suggestions of what I should list them for price wise???

1x Ork Warboss
20x Ork Boyz
5x Ork Nobz
3x Ork Deffkoptas

Not a topic of conversation we discuss here;  There are multiple places that have trading forums that you can get a gauge on.

Best,

Paul

Any suggestions of what I should list them for price wise???

Best advice is to look on eBay and see what they go for there. 

If you are going to get the Strike Force I would suggest looking at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360952514023?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you are not bothered by the Termi Captain then you can get at least two Deathwing command boxes for that (£66 at time of posting)

Regards

DM

$110 for just a SM Terminator Captain??? That seems way over priced if you ask me.

Archived