Chaos and Wolves - A WIP of two armies

"Tell me Ultramaggot, is there a chapter in your primogenitors codex that teaches you how to scream for salvation from your false emperor?"

Hi all this is the start of my new WIP log on my Space Wolves and Chaos. I started this in the Space Wolves sub-forum a while ago but since I'm adding Chaos to the mix I figure I'll start over new in the WIP section.

So to kick things off I am putting up pics of one of my favorite miniatures. This is Xanthrus the Dark Apostle of the Empyrean Cabal Chapter(Names might be changed I don't know).

I started working on him last summer and I am so close to finishing him. Only thing I really need to do now is the iconography on the shoulder pads. This is the first time I used the dry paint Terminatus Stone for the base and I was very happy with the results. Made the rocks look much better and the blood I added to it(Tamiya Clear Red) shows off really well on the ground. Also but some red on the Ultras faceplate and chest.

Up next will be his reluctant Second in Command Kael. smile.png

"You brought my men and I out of our living hell back into the material realm, but don't presume that I will follow your fanatical ideals Xanthrus. To us the age of courage and honor was only yesterday. I don't see any of that here amongst you and your men. I may be branded a traitor and I may owe you my allegiance but I will never bow to you or your zealots."

Here is Kael and I was saddened at how shoddy the matt varnish turned out. I used a spray from Army Painter and this is the first time I ever had the frosting issue happen. I`ve used the same can on minis before and never had the problem before. I tried to fix it by brushing on matt varnish and a lot of it went away. There`s still frosting in parts on his legs and his left shoulder. I decided not to go any further to fix it because the varnish is looking thick in areas and I really don`t want to strip him `cause I am still very happy with how I painted him.

So here he is in all his Space Wolves hating glory. The reason why his arms are grey is because he tore them off of a Space Wolf that was a friend of Elric(his pics next post) and only defiled them with markings.

Edit: FOrgot to mention Kael is a World Eater

"Am I fated to live Amandia?" Elric to his current serf who's from a long line who served Elric.

This is Elric the Lone Wolf. The Blood Claw company he was in was decimated by Kael and his Terminators. He has been carrying his vengeance for his brothers for over a century winning battles against the forces of chaos and xenos. Each battle he lives through he feels it's becoming a curse more than a drive to bring down the one who butchered his companions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all it's update time.

First up is the Chaos Sorcerer of Tzeench who is Xanthrus' confidant and longest ally. He is also at odds with Kael to put it lightly. There's not much to this model it's just the Sorcerer Lord from Warriors of Chaos with a power pack and bolt pistol added on. I decided to cut and file down the horns so he'd look more human just with freaky eyes.

Up next is the close combat unit called the Flesh Renders. They are a recent chapter that turned to chaos and their Imperial name is quickly expunged with the chapter breaking down to warbands quickly. Xanthrus and the others don't know what Chapter they turned from as they care little about their past. Their armor is metallic red and silver with other chapters armor pieces(also some from their chaotic *allies*) worn as trophies.

It is known that they allowed themselves to be experimented on by Fabius Bile having vials of drugs attached to their packs where the drugs enter into their body. This allows them to enter into a euphoric rage before battle then unleashed on their prey. They are now mercenaries working for the highest bidder. Their only payment is slaves to be painfully liquefied and used as their drugs.

I enjoyed working on these guys as I get to paint them differently than I usually do with metallic silver and Tamiya clear red. Also getting to paint the shoulders as other chapters/warbands help break things up a bit.

The next pic is two other Flesh Renders. There's something about a Chaos marine duel wielding that puts a smile on my face.

This is the last of this batch of updates. Next up are three Night Lords raptors who have been cast out of their warband for becoming degenerated by the warp. Now they carved out a lair in the bowels of Xanthrus' warship chasing down and butchering slaves in dark corridors as entertainment until the call to battle is sounded.

Nothing really special about these guys really. Just putting together what bitz interest me.

• 2 weeks later...

This update is just a few additional men made from kitbashes plus a preview of what I'm gonna tackle next. First up I moved one of the night lords into his own group and made 4 others making them into a squad of Warp Talons. The other 2 will remain as raptors which I will add more at a later time. Two of them use Assault Squad jump packs 'cause that's all I had at the time. I would just say they're from a recent renegade chapter that broke from and joined these Warp Talons. All the heads except for the original had their horns taken off for something different.

Next up is the first of a Havoc squad armed with an autocannon. I found a bunch of mutation arms and decided to use the tentacle one for this guy and the others for the possessed later on. I like the mutation sprue and I might get a couple next time I order from GW. His head is the Sorceror(?) head from the Terminator Lord box that I filed down the mouthpiece. I started with just cutting off the nub in the "mouth" but then he looked like a duck so kept cutting. The right arm, hand and trigger is from chaos heavy bolter. The gun itself is the Sentinel Autocannon with the end cut off and replaced with a chaos vehicle ornament.

Next is a possessed to add to the group I have. Just wanted an excuse to use the mutation arms and made him. Only thing special to him is his head which is one of the arms.

And here is the preview. Yes I am throwing my hat in the "turn the centurions into obliterators" group. As with my previous works in this thread I'm doing this to tackle something new and as always Chaos is great for that imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an update here but it's doesn't really have anything to do with Chaos or Space Wolves. I don't know how to edit the topic title to reflect this. Anyways on to the recent history bit(Oh I love this bit)...

So for a while I wanted to create a small space marine force. Already had a bunch of troops put together and painted Army Painter Army Green. Wasn't sure what other colors to use yet. Was gonna build the force of troops, land speeders, bikes and assault troops. They were gonna be a chapter using fast attacks and guerilla warfare. I was planning on buying a box of marines to expand on this with bits I already have.

That's still on the table but then I was reading through old White Dwarf magazines when I started going through this one which has been my favorite issue ever. I've went through it a number of times before and never get tired of looking at the stuff inside especially the 40k content.

Now I know what you're all thinking "Get to the censored.gifing point!!!" and all I can say is be cool y'all find your zen, go to your happy place smile.png(I'm also bored right now and feel the need to type incoherently). So I was leafing through the pages and I got to this page.

I thought oh yeah forgot about this(even though I just said I read this magazine a number of times before...weird) so I read the article. I know that the organization chart and rules probably wouldn't work now but I figured making a force of Movie Marines would be a fun side project from my Chaos/Space Wolf forces. I'm also a fan of The Expendables 1 & 2 which is gonna be the inspiration for this but not gonna make them look like the guys in the movies(I'm not a miracle worker at this kitbashing stuff lol). So today I bought these two boxes(what's in the censored.gifing box!!):
So that's my next project. I haven't even opened the boxes yet but when I get started i'll be sure to post pics. Thanks for being patient.

Started working on my movie marines. Liking the bitz in both boxes except for one. They make 9 heads with berets and not one of them has aviator glasses?? Boo zero stars!. I kid laugh.png Tried to make a pair with GS on the head with the eye patch. Hard to tell how I'm doing with a small bit and realized the adjustments I need to make after taking the pics.

Also since they're movie marines I'm using both the arms, legs, and heads from the Scions box while using the torso and backpack from the marines box. They might not look like traditional marines but oh well makes them look more mercenary. cool.png Just forewarning the names and quotes are far from original. Someone might realize who I'm a big fan of.

First up is Veteran Sergeant Nikolai Cherenko. Nothing that really stands out except for the servo skull. Why you ask? 'cause they're cool and I firmly believe that there should be more servo skulls and cherubs in this game, especially in combat. Nothing creepier than a small baby with wings coming right for your throat.

"Kill them all"

Next up is the Space Marine Dude named Andrew Scott. Second in command under Nikolai Cherenko. He has a thing for using knives as much as using his bolter. He's got a few screws loose which makes him act more human then his brothers and also allows him to enjoy the Long War more.
"I gave you an order soldier, now let's see you waste this Chaos traitor...now where are we gonna shoot him? In the stomache? Naa...In the chest? Noooo...How about we shoot him...In the head!!"

*Walks in to see a tumbleweed roll out* Well at least no one is making a mess of the place. HA!

This is Brother Warchild his name unknown even to his Sergeant. An expert with demolitions that while his brothers use regular grenades he prefers the look and smell of a nicely exploded Melta Bomb(counts as grenades). A man of few words he prefers to get right to the point unlike his Brother Andrew Scott.

Brother Sergeant Nikolai: "Chaos...So how you wanna take 'em?"

Brother Warchild: "Fast"

Edit: Changing name and quote to next marine. This one i'll find something eventually.

Next up is marine with missile launcher. The bolt pistol is just for look and a way to have his left arm doing something.

This is Brother Gunner Jensen who likes to blow anything up that affronts him especially Chaos. He uses the usual over the shoulder stance with the launcher but in a pinch he'll fire from the hip. :)

"Warning shot!" *Fires missile launcher at a traitor blowing him to bits* "Huh...a little low"

Well ran into my first problem with the compatibility between the Scions and Marines bits. The scion lasgun arms won't fit on the marines torsos. The torsos are thicker than the scions which gets in the way of trying to fit the arms to the gun so the arms end up wonky. I tested one out putting the right arm with gun onto the marine torso and he ends up aiming the gun almost straight up in the air and the left arm wasn't even close to attaching the hand. So what I'm going to do is have the marines hold their bolters with one hand(fits the action movie theme for sure) and I'll use the opposite arm to hold knives or something.

It also took me this long to figure out an annoying trend I'm seeing with the recent releases by GW and it's become a pet peeve of mine now. I noticed in the Scions, Tac Marines(right hands instead of left), IG command Squad(and there's probably others) that they have the left hands molded onto the weapon. This is making it annoying to kitbash because I wanted to cut up the lasguns to put bolters on but I'd lose the left hands in the process(which doesn't matter now since the arms won't fit). Just a rant I had to say so on with the show.

Here we have second tactical marine named Brother Ryder. He prefers up close and personal fighting and tends to break away from his fellow brothers to throw his punches in with his power fist(would be just for show in game).

"I will break your nose with this knee. And there's nothing you can do about it."

So this week-end I'm gonna buy another box of scions 'cause I need the legs, arms and heads for the rest of the squad. Rest of the stuff i'll save for bits. In the mean time I picked up my counts as Razorback with twin link las-cannons. I have spare las-cannons in the bits box so I'll see what I can do to space marine it up.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I changed the pictures of Veteran Sergeant Nikolai. I didn't think he looked Veteran-y enough so I swapped his head and gave him the gotee one 'cause as we all learned from the Star Trek TOS episode Mirror Mirror: Anyone who wears a gotee is a badass.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Archived