are marine mounted lascanons obsolete

ZONKEY

With cover getting better and everything seeming to get a invulnerable save from a force field or a tree, is it worthwhile packing lascanons in a list?

And can I fight a war of attrition as the dark angels?

Honestly in 6th I never took a single lascannon on a marine. In 7th I am seriously considering a cheap squad of Las Devs on a Bastion for my Ravenwing.

I think they are cheap enough, and the increase in vehicles I am seeing warrants it. 48" is nice. I 'm used to having to run up real close and melta everything.

I would have ravenwing outflanking packed to the teeth with meltas attack bike with a melta and a typhoon land speeder

So las cannons are back in fashion due to the heavy armour lists or sm I better with a lascannon predators or even a vindicator?

Lascannons have always been my favorite weapon. They can potentially kill anything, (and in fact are pretty good at killing most things). However they are rarely the most efficient for any given purpose. However, I still feel that lascannon devs are a good choice for low terrain density areas or for defending corridors, nothing really wants to advance towards a large number of lascannons except hordes, but that is fairly easy to deal with with the rest of your army.

My main complaint is that everything seems to get a good save against that one shot

For me it's more about vehicles in 7th than shooting dudes. Snipers can take care of toughness issues... plasma, rad grenades, etc, but AP2 plus 48" strength 9 is seemingly more important to me in 7th that it previously was (who took a 'super scoring' rhino in 6th? IG parking lot almost disappeared in 6th. It's back in 7th)

Just my opinion but now that everything scores, having a building/ruin/fortification in your deployment zone, sitting on an objective with a <180 pt lascannon dev team is a pretty serious consideration for me.

I haven't played a game of 7th yet, but I doubt it has changed that much since 6th with the exception of prescience. I used a devastator squad with 4 lascannons, 5 additional marines combined with a librarian, almost every game in 6th. It's great against vehicles, with prescience you're pretty much guaranteed to atleast get two hits in on any vehicle (usually even AV 14), its good against flyers (4 TL shots, usually gets atleast 1 6, and penetrating isnt too hard vs. flyers).. and even if those arent around it'll hurt whatever you shoot at.

As said I haven't used it in 7th yet, but it's one of the few units that is pretty much always worth its points for me (even with the 5 additional meatshield marines).

I've been running 2 Lascannons, 2 Missile Launchers and 5 extra marines with my SM army in 6th. I have yet to play 7th and I know it may differ from DA a bit but they've worked well for me. I combat squad them with 2 heavy weapons and 3 extra marines and each. That way it takes a bit of effort from my enemy to clear of the squads. Granted it's only 2 heavy weapons per squad but I can have one act as anti-tank and the other as anti-horde. Plus marines can benefit from cover easier then save a tank or Dreadnought.

My main complaint is that everything seems to get a good save against that one shot

The question raising here for me is : what are you shooting at to get so much save? And particularly : what change from v6>v7 appeared to give more/better save?

Lascannons is for vehicles. Those vehicles get cover save but the same that they got in v6. So if your lascan were effective in v6 against such targets, they lose nothing in v7.

Against skimmers they now get a +1 jink save BUT it makes them shooting snap shots. And with the high S of the lascan, they are likely to declare jink. So it's like you obtain a "crew shaken" result without even roll!

For me the people I play use a lot of terrian and have units blocking the rhinos providing a cover save, so I have to resort to my Raven wing outflankibg with meltas and plasna

Or am I better off investing my devastator points into a lascanon and missile launcher dreadnought with a drop pod?

Drop Pods are best used for close-in deliveries, whereas Lascannons and Missile Launchers work best for long-range fire support. Doesn't seem necessary to put a Dreadnought close to your opponent with those guns.

(even with the 5 additional meatshield marines).

5 meatshield marines also lets you shoot at two targets a turn...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with this (I'll slap myself if I missed a rule), but do you mean shooting at different targets because of combat squadding the 10man squad or do they get Split Fire (which would be new for me...but awesome cool.png ). As so for I have simply used the 5 extra marines to protect my Lascannons.. which means they haven't really seen a lot of extra use apart from catching bullets.

Expensive use of Marines, IMO. At what, 16pts each that's 80pts of nothing but ablative wounds.

Agreed, but as said they have so far pretty much always been worth their points as it usually allows me to keep my lascannons alive and killing till the end of the game. I do occassionally leave out 2-3 marines if I need to cut points though.

Archived