Dreadnought Weapon Load-out

Noxnoctis22

I have an AOBR Dreadnought that I'm going to repaint and convert to DA but I'm not sure what weapon load-out to give it. It current has the standard MM & PF W/SB

As I'm new to DA what is the favored Dreadnought load-out? 

I like the idea of giving it the Plasma Cannon as I see my DA army taking plasma weapons when and wherever they can.

Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions/tips. I wanna pick up the new arms for the Dreadnought as soon as I can.

Two questions;

1) What is your budget for this project?

2) Are Forgeworld Rules allowed if you're a player?

I currently have an AoBR Dreadnought that I have converted into a Dual TL AC model that I play as either a normal dread with TL AC, or a mortis dread if FW is allowed.

In the current edition though, with the inability to blow something up with anything less than AP2, Las Cannons may be more valuable.  You'd need to get one from Ebay and one from Forgeworld, though.  

Last thought is to replace the MM arm with a Las Cannon and use it as a firebase without Skyfire/interceptor and 1 less Las Cannon.

2c.

Paul

Two questions;

I currently have an AoBR Dreadnought that I have converted into a Dual TL AC model that I play as either a normal dread with TL AC, or a mortis dread if FW is allowed.

In the current edition though, with the inability to blow something up with anything less than AP2, Las Cannons may be more valuable.  You'd need to get one from Ebay and one from Forgeworld, though.  

Last thought is to replace the MM arm with a Las Cannon and use it as a firebase without Skyfire/interceptor and 1 less Las Cannon.

2c.

Paul

I'm working with a moderate budget I'd say. I like for things to be 100% WYSIWYG and I've worked with magnets before (swap-able backpacks and jump-packs) so that's always an option. I don't play competitively, just at my local hobby stop and friends.

So you're thinking of something like this...

MM ~> TL AC

PF w/SB ~> TL AC

OR

MM ~> TL LC

PF w/SB ~> ??

Seems like a ML would be the only real option for the 2nd arm, right?

If so, to Forgeworld and eBay I must go!

Mk 5 Mortis dreads LC, ML, or AutoC whatever takes your fancy. All day every day. At least two of them simply because we can!

That MK V Mortis Dreadnought is sexy! Love the dual heavy weapon load-out but can it be upgrade to a Venerable Dreadnought?

Mk 5 Mortis dreads LC, ML, or AutoC whatever takes your fancy. All day every day. At least two of them simply because we can!

That MK V Mortis Dreadnought is sexy! Love the dual heavy weapon load-out but can it be upgrade to a Venerable Dreadnought?

erm... that's a rules question, not sure if allowed to answer that one, over to the mods i'm afraid for a Stewards Enquiry.

EDIT - probably been overcautious, but hey; have just checked up on the rules section, and think it's ok to report no, Mk 5 Mortis cannot go Ven as an option.

Mods - please delete ASAP if i've overstepped the mark here.

As cool as the plasma would look, it just feels so easy to get plasma cannons in our army and autocannon or TLLC/ML might be slightly better.

Fluff wise the PC is the best choice IMO but you're right the TLLC & ML combo is most likely the best option.

Forgeworld rules for the Mortis Dreads are the best value as well as being very good anti-air. I think double Auto Cannon is the standard on them? If you were willing to buy one I would recommend a Contemptor version of the same thing with either double Las or Kheres Assault Cannons. More points than it's worth, but a really nice model.

While were discussing this does anyone know which are the most recent rules for the Mortis Contemptor? I need to know if it is BS4 or BS5 these days.

BS4 dry.png

Nox: Mortis is heaps better than Venerable in my humble opinion; re-rolling results on the damage table is not that much help without any hull points remaining ;)

The twin linked nearly makes up for the need for BS5 so despite my grumpy emoticon above it's not all bad there.

BS4 dry.png

Nox: Mortis is heaps better than Venerable in my humble opinion; re-rolling results on the damage table is not that much help without any hull points remaining msn-wink.gif

The twin linked nearly makes up for the need for BS5 so despite my grumpy emoticon above it's not all bad there.

fluff-wise it's also a great anti-air option for Green- or Deathwing i've always thought, prob why we get no restrictions on numbers

I have an AOBR Dreadnought that I'm going to repaint and convert to DA but I'm not sure what weapon load-out to give it. It current has the standard MM & PF W/SB

As I'm new to DA what is the favored Dreadnought load-out?

There is no favored load-out for Dreadnoughts in almost any Space Marine force.  The only exception to that would probalby be Blood Angels and their Furioso pattern Dreadnought.  As to any other Space Marine force, Dark Angels or otherwise, the "favored' weapon load-out would be one that compliments the rest of your army.  If you have built a shooty marine army then a shooty load-out would be favorable.  If you build an assault oriented Space Marine force then an assault configuration would be favorable.

So, there is no correct answer to your question, as to get one you need to provide some parameters in the form of  the entire list of what else will be in your army.

I am really thinking about picking Contemptor pattern, and using it basically as venerable or mortis in game, because model looks great. Now, I need multimelta/claw for when I deepstrike him as venerable or even, kinda best $ for buck I think. Then I need to decide to go with 2x LC or 2xautocannon for contemptor.? Still don't see how S7 helps vs AV12 fliers, and LC is better vs ground targets too for only 20pts more.

Two questions;

2c.

Paul

I'm working with a moderate budget I'd say. I like for things to be 100% WYSIWYG and I've worked with magnets before (swap-able backpacks and jump-packs) so that's always an option. I don't play competitively, just at my local hobby stop and friends.

So you're thinking of something like this...

MM ~> TL AC

PF w/SB ~> TL AC

OR

MM ~> TL LC

PF w/SB ~> ??

Seems like a ML would be the only real option for the 2nd arm, right?

If so, to Forgeworld and eBay I must go!

You can buy Dual Auto Cannons from www.puppetswar.eu or from www.forgeworld.com  -  Also, the Aegis Defense Line gun makes a decent set for a Dreadnought as well.  I have (3) kitted out, one of each style.  The first one friction fits, the second two are magnetized.  

If you need or want dual Las Cannons, the only place to get one side is from the GW Dreadnought Box, and Forgeworld sells a matching other side, so Ebay to get the one, and Forgeworld for the other to do an AoBR dreadnought.  The same goes for Missile Launchers (GW Dread for one, FW for the other).  

Hope it helps.

Paul

I am really thinking about picking Contemptor pattern, and using it basically as venerable or mortis in game, because model looks great. Now, I need multimelta/claw for when I deepstrike him as venerable or even, kinda best $ for buck I think. Then I need to decide to go with 2x LC or 2xautocannon for contemptor.? Still don't see how S7 helps vs AV12 fliers, and LC is better vs ground targets too for only 20pts more.

Fallen -

If you view Fliers as Land Raiders - 7 on 12 is no different than 9 on 14....  Las Cannon against Land Raider works regularly! 

The major difference in this edition is the AP - Las Cannon gets +1 on damage table, and thus, can make things go BOOM!

The Contemptor is probably one of the easiest models I've ever magnetized.  I own 7 of them and they're all magnetized.  I have (3) pairs of Las Arms, (3) Pairs of Kheres arms, (4) Pairs of AC Arms, (2) pairs of CCWs, and (2) Heavy Conversion Beamers, all magnetized (working on the painting)

TL BS5 was pretty broken on the old model, lol.  TL BS4 is really nice though.  Drop some "Perfect timing" and tell that plain to kiss your ass by way of Las Cannon.  

Paul

I never really thought it was broken for the points Paul, a mortis Contemptable with two TLLCs is 205 points over 145 for a MkV Mortis armed the same.

Despite the Contemptor being more survivable they are now the same killiness for 60 points extra. Is the extra survivability worth that much? I think about 30 would have been fair with the extra 30 going towards the BS5.

My logic (take cover, logic argument in a 40k environment biggrin.png ) is that a Contemptor that has been 'upgraded' to Mortis with a Helical T argeting Array becomes somehow a worse shot than a normal Contemptor make no sense rolleyes.gif but I see that the designers kept the costs the same thereby giving and taking in nearly equal measure (gained Skyfire/interceptor if still, lost BS5 and Fleet).

I still love the big fat trash cans and they often get MVP when I'm facing flyers but there is often something to roll ones eyes at in the details tongue.png especially when our Dex is already so full of overpriced options laugh.png

EDIT: Grandma

I never really thought it was broken for the points Paul, a mortis Contemptable with two TLLCs is 205 points over 145 for a MkV Mortis armed the same.

Despite the Contemptor being more survivable they are now the same killiness for 60 points extra. Is the extra survivability worth that much? I think about 30 would have been fair with the extra 30 going towards the BS5.

My logic (take cover, logic argument in a 40k environment biggrin.png ) is that a Contemptor that has been 'upgraded' to Mortis with a Helical T argeting Array becomes somehow a worse shot than a normal Contemptor make no sense rolleyes.gif but I see that the designers kept the costs the same thereby giving and taking in nearly equal measure (gained Skyfire/interceptor if still, lost BS5 and Fleet).

I still love the big fat trash cans and they often get MVP when I'm facing flyers but there is often something to roll ones eyes at in the details tongue.png especially when our Dex is already so full of overpriced options laugh.png

EDIT: Grandma

Stobz,

I wasn't talking Contemptor, sorry, I was talking the old Mk V Mortis. I don't like the drop in BS on the contemptor one bit. I didn't see the contemptor references come in as we're talking an AoBR Dread (IDK why everyone seems to think that buying a Contemptor is a "reasonable" dreadnought solution for most people. At nearly $75-100/each by the time you kit them out ($50 base + $24 for arms and another $12 for Missile if used) they're pricey.

Paul

Roger; there often seems to be a confusion regarding which type of Dread is being discussed in threads of this kind. The OP generally starts with one type then someone mentions the other then conversations get confused several posts later etc. etc. msn-wink.gif

I may have been both a victim and a participant in the confusion. I incorrectly assumed you were writing about the Contemptor, my apologies mate.

TL;DR

Dread with MM/HF in a pod, venerable if possible.

Land turn 1, hopefully dent a vehicle and hose some infantry.

Opponents turn 1, you hold the line with the venerable re-rolling

Turn 2, fire and assault.

For a reasonable amount of points it can put off balance more than one opponent.

Roger; there often seems to be a confusion regarding which type of Dread is being discussed in threads of this kind. The OP generally starts with one type then someone mentions the other then conversations get confused several posts later etc. etc. msn-wink.gif

I may have been both a victim and a participant in the confusion. I incorrectly assumed you were writing about the Contemptor, my apologies mate.

My OP was geared more towards the modeling side. I should have been more specific, my fault. Let me put it this way, what arms should I purchase for my AOBR Dreadnought? I'm going to take the current MM & PF w/SB off and repaint the whole model. This time around I plan of using magnets so whatever arms I get I can swap out.

I'm not overly concerned about Venerable vs. Mortis vs. Contemptor at this point. That's for another day. Yes I know the weapons the Dreadnought can take depend on what type it is so I guess it plays into things a small bit.

So which left & right arm weapons would you suggest I pickup? And yes I know it all depends on the rest of my army...just looking for ones that might have the most usage across various strategies.

Archived