Unbound warlords

Stercus

Overheard in my local GW store today: Can any unit be the warlord in an unbound army or does it have to be an HQ?

Now, initially I thought this was a very silly question, but on reflection, (and as I don't have the new book yet) I realised that this might be an actual thing. The player in question wanted to roll on the warlord traits table for his venerable dreadnought, working on the theme of an ancient and respected commander continuing to lead troops after his internment. If he'd wanted to make a guard platoon his warlord perhaps it would be less sensible.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Interestingly, while talking to the staff member on duty a little later, the unbound subject came up and he stated that unbound armies used in the store would be expected to have reasonable fluff justification for the build used "such as reading about a similar army in a codex or BL book". Apparently, for in-store games, ridiculous power-builds with screamer-stars, flying tyrants and wave serpents would be at best frowned upon. We specifically discussed the idea of traitor guard allying with chaos marines, freelance knights being seduced by slaaneshi, and orks looting guard vehicles.

I'm starting to come around to this idea a little more.

Archived