HQ to bolster Assault Squad

Aegnor

I'm pondering adding an Assault Squad to my army, and wondering whether adding a chaplain or a librarian would potentially be a worthwhile investment to enhance the squad.

First thing is, do people find it better to run a five man squad, or upgrade to ten? (or run two five man squads I suppose)?

In either of those scenarios, is it worth adding a HQ?

I can think of a few scenarios. One is a cheap and cheerful squad of 5 with dual flamers, looking to harass and take out targets of opportunity/act as a flying squad (ba-boom-tish) to support your mainline squads as required.

One is a much more expensive squad of ten with a supporting HQ, possibly carrying a PFG to enhance their durability, which you use as a major part of your army.

Third use would be a squad of five acting as a delivery vehicle/support for a chaplain with the nasty CC-based relic that you aim at the most suitable target.

Do people have alternatives or suggestions about the best way to support those ideas?

I would go for librarian because of this:

Librarian lvl 2with jump pack , Pyromancy+ assault squad (flamers, flamers, flamers).

Counter attack unit.. flames out units close to objectives.

Primaris: Heavy flamer: always good to have in such a squad. 3 flamers and 1 heavy flamer are nothing to sniff at.

1: augments other powers and gives a nice 4++ to the libby.

2: assault marines in cover even in the open. :)

3: good to take out a character or annoying heavy weapon. can hurt bystanders! 18" is no problem

4: Nova power short range but Assault marines have speed going for them..

5: also plays to squads strenghts on eliminating people in cover.

6: interesting beam.. able to take out 2 vehicles with one shot.

For the chaplain to work you have to tool the As. Squad for CC and they will still be sup par against specalist CC units.

Assault squads are probably best paired with a Libby 1st and an interrogator second. A normal chaplain is my third choice.

A better cc unit imo is the veterans. While they don't have dem fancy jump packs they can an extra attack, they have inner circle, they can be kitted out with all special weapons and combat shields, they are also higher leadership so they won't run or get over run.

I'd probably stuff the veterans in a lrc, they'd pop out with an interrogator and just violently beat someone. It would be vicious.

You could also kit them out with combi weapons galore and just devastate someone at short - medium range out of a transport/drop pod. It would be almost comical.

Souped up vets with a land raider have a different role than assault squads. They find important targets and eliminate them. Assault squads with jump packs on the other hand use agility and mobility to harry the enemy, finding targets of opportunity. That's why they're necessarily a lot cheaper than the vets w/ LR.

The Libby used to be a flat out better choice than the chap due to prescience, but now that prescience is WC2 and therefore much more unreliable, I think the chappy is worth consideration again.

I think that a Chaplain or Interrogator with Power Fist and Crozius would work very nicely. That way, you can add reliable S8 AP2 attacks, and the 4++ will help you land them.

It's going to both boost your Assault squad and make them more versatile. The Pyro Libby is fun, but 2 flamers are usually effective enough to not warrant a third, and the Assault Marines generally lack a bit in the punch department.

It all depends what you face. I fount it very amusing to field 3 units of assaults split into 6 groups, one of them with libby and one with chaplain. Sadly later on I realised that Raven Guard do the same job but cheaper almost without the need for supporting HQ. So in future I will have 30 assult marines painted as DA but using Ravens doctrine

It's been a while since I used an assault squad (or played tbh), but when I did use them, I always deployed the ten man squad. With overwatch that's doubly important (unless you are able to avoid the reaction fire).

I've not tried a librarian with the squad yet, but I have used Chaplains with jump packs and they can make a considerable difference with the re-rolls, allowing the squad to put a lot of hits on an opponent. I currently have a sergeant with a powerfist and the chaplain with crozius, but you might want to consider a power axe instead if you're going for heavy infantry or possibly a power sword, so long as you take melta bombs to deal with any vehicles that present themselves.

The unit as a whole can be used in two main ways. Aggressively, eliminating back-line squads like devastators or even taking out troops choices and picking on vulnerable vehicles like artillery. The Chaplain will be helpful here with the re-rolls, giving you a good chance of eliminating a target and threatening a base line. If you use them aggressively, beware enemy tar-pits and don't leave them isolated, as your opponent may react to eliminate them before other vulnerable units are taken out. You can, of course, use that to your advantage as a distraction!

The second major way is a counter-punch unit or tar-pit. If you have enemy units close to or in your own lines then you can hit back with the assault squad and potentially stall the enemy attack. The squad might be able to take down the threatening unit or (due to Fearless) tar-pit the enemy unit to effectively negate them, whilst you move a more effective unit up to deal with the threat. Challenges can prevent that, but the unit can be effective.

Hope that helps!

Add a second vote for 10 men. If it ends up being fine then you combat squad and go from there. However I would say Reclusiarch over Libby, while divination is nice I think the Rec. adds much more punch with the 4++ and even the Power maul does some damage.

Example; I had a game (admittedly in 5th edition) against orks. I had a regular chappy so 2 wounds 3 plasma pistols and a power fist. They took on a 9 man Nob squad with Doc (gives FNP at T5) also the Mek HQ. The Assault Squad fired into them killed one or two and then hammered into the squad and managed to wipe them all out minus one wound of the Mek which the chappy finished round two. The Assault squad was also beaten up badly (three guys left including powerfist and the chappy still alive with one wound). It was impressive as a counter attack squad and kept them off my lines for another two turns so my Dev's could shoot up the orks. My opponent was teaching me the ins and outs of the game at the time and even he was quite impressed with how well they did.

I always like them as a counter attack squad and for me the Reclusiarch/Chappy is the go to option.

DoC

I would go for librarian because of this:

Librarian lvl 2with jump pack , Pyromancy+ assault squad (flamers, flamers, flamers).

Counter attack unit.. flames out units close to objectives.

Primaris: Heavy flamer: always good to have in such a squad. 3 flamers and 1 heavy flamer are nothing to sniff at.

Did you forget to give the Librarian himself a combi-flamer? Indeed you did! Make that flamer, flamer, combi-flamer, combi-flamer, heavy flamer! biggrin.png

Just a side question but the way jink is worded, can you group a bike in with an assault or anything else an give the squad jink? The brb says the model and his unit get it right?

Just a side question but the way jink is worded, can you group a bike in with an assault or anything else an give the squad jink? The brb says the model and his unit get it right?

Careful reading of the Jink rule reveals that only models with said rule benfit from the cover save. You can attach Sammael on Corvex to an assault squad, and you can choose to jink when that unit is shot at, but only wounds allocated to Sammael can be 'jinked'.

Archived