Airborne Imperial Guard Camo Scheme

I recently finished a test model for my Imperial Guard Airborne army. Naturally, I had to make things hard for me by deciding I wanted a camo color scheme. Here is the result. I'll probably post a tutorial and more over on Pensacola Warhammer.

stormtrooper-test.jpg

I think the harsh light and the extreme close up makes it hard to pick out the camo pattern, but the other pictures can show it off. The model is completely hand painted.

stormtrooper-test-2.jpg

stormtrooper-test-3.jpg

The lens and goggles will get a cost of Tamiya Clear Red and Clear Blue once the model is sealed and maybe an quick oil wash. The camo was easy to achieve as I just used a piece of foam you might find in a blister or pluck foam storage tray. The foam gives the impression of the fatigues probably having a digital camo scheme, which was what I was going for. The primer and camo colors are light, so when I went back over it with a black wash, the colors didn't become to dull. My only though is the gun's color. I'm tossed between black/gunmetal or making it match the camo scheme. I'm just afraid that if I do black/gunmetal the hands will get lost, and the camo scheme might make the miniature hard to see (I know; that's the point of camouflage).

I'm interested to hear what you think.

After listening to some feed back, I made a couple of quick changes to my stormtrooper. Here's what he looks like now.

stormtrooper-test-a.jpg

As you can see, I changed the gun to a black metal color. However, to help make the hands stand out a little bit, I painted them the same camo color that the rest of the figure is painted.

stormtrooper-test-b.jpg

There's a few more detailing things I'd like to do. I'm thinking I'm going to use some weathering powder on the lower parts of his legs. I need to find some good decals and maybe add a bullet graze on the shoulder pads. To wrap it all up, I'll be basing him on a forest base. Hopefully, these guys will look very nice on the table.

Again, I'd like to here your thoughts.

Archived