Pretty excited. WordBearers Omnibus just arrived

well it proves that the legions aint dead, sure lots of political backstabbing and whatnot but that even happens in the ragnar novels (to a lesser extent), but it shows the wordbearers still fight as a legion. 

Well yeah, that clown Erebus is still about & the Word Bearers still have their Primarch, albeit a Daemon Primarch isolated in the Templum Inficio on the Daemon World of Sicarus. So they are pretty much in tact, led by a Dark Council. One of only a few I assume.

The trilogy is not up there with Eisenhorn, Ravener or Gaunts Ghosts (basically Dan Abnett) but for 40k fiction it's really pretty good and definitely worth reading/getting hold of.

Dallas

I enjoyed the books a lot (this thread is making me want to reread them, actually). I think The Night Lords series is stronger in characterization (possible exceptions are the short story Torment in the WB series and, oddly, some of the antagonists in book three). Tenebris covers many of the strengths of the Word Bearers series well. The image of a well organized legion warband that still comes across as a Chaos force is very well done. The world building and look at a chaos invasion In the first book in particular were great. I also really liked the portrayal in the first book of how regular imperial citizens might end up turning into frothing at the mouth cultists without resorting to "poof, chaos magic did it".

I enjoyed the books a lot. If there's any way for you to borrow the first book, then I'd suggest doing so. If you like it then most likely you'll enjoy the whole series.

I've downloaded the entire omnibus as an ebook. Only a few pages in but in really excited to see an actual chaos Legion wage war. I'm already surprised (in a good way) how organised the Word Bearers are.

I'm sure this omnibus will keep me going till Talon of Horus is released.

Books for the Book God!

My favorite part about the WB books is the Dischord. After reading it, I had to build one from a kit bash of Spore Mine and a Dirge Caster.

My favorite part about the WB books is the Dischord. After reading it, I had to build one from a kit bash of Spore Mine and a Dirge Caster.

m trynna source appropriate samples so i can 'mix' my own dischord soundtrack to game to :P hell if it puts my opponent off then ive done it right

Just thought I would come to the place where people would be excited with me about something that arrived in the mail today.  Got the Wordbearers Omnibus today.  Great condition, found it on eBay for 35 bucks, beats the 100+ tag I have been seeing.  Anyway will get into soon, need to finish the Inquistion war set first.

Gub

It's good - you'll definitely enjoy it!

I enjoyed the books a lot (this thread is making me want to reread them, actually). I think The Night Lords series is stronger in characterization (possible exceptions are the short story Torment in the WB series and, oddly, some of the antagonists in book three). Tenebris covers many of the strengths of the Word Bearers series well. The image of a well organized legion warband that still comes across as a Chaos force is very well done. The world building and look at a chaos invasion In the first book in particular were great. I also really liked the portrayal in the first book of how regular imperial citizens might end up turning into frothing at the mouth cultists without resorting to "poof, chaos magic did it".

I enjoyed the books a lot. If there's any way for you to borrow the first book, then I'd suggest doing so. If you like it then most likely you'll enjoy the whole series.

I'd say they're worthy of calling them a Legion still, just made of Warbands with splinters.

Eh, not sure. I mean, the books present the organization as "Dark Council->Host" and in reconciliation with the Index fluff that says "Each Host is organized to the will of the Dark Apostle that leads it", we only see the organization of the 34th Host, which is "Dark Apostle->Coryphaus->Host" but we don't really see how the others are organized. For example, I think in the second book, Marduk makes mention of how some Apostles don't even have a Coryphaus and others only speak to their Hosts through the Coryphaus, issuing no direct orders themselves.

So the 34th Host is still very much a warband, just a very well-organized one that answers to somebody else.

As I understand it from the first book:

A Dark Apostle has to embody some aspect of divinity. So a Dark Apostle must stand above and apart from the Host. But there still needs to be some connection to the Host. That connection is the Coryphaus. The Coryphaus is very much a part of, and has the pulse of the Host, and relates that to the Dark Apostle.

Therefore in larger hosts, a Coryphaus is essential. But with smaller hosts it may be just the Dark Apostle and the understudy First Apostle.

I enjoyed the books a lot (this thread is making me want to reread them, actually). I think The Night Lords series is stronger in characterization (possible exceptions are the short story Torment in the WB series and, oddly, some of the antagonists in book three). Tenebris covers many of the strengths of the Word Bearers series well. The image of a well organized legion warband that still comes across as a Chaos force is very well done. The world building and look at a chaos invasion In the first book in particular were great. I also really liked the portrayal in the first book of how regular imperial citizens might end up turning into frothing at the mouth cultists without resorting to "poof, chaos magic did it".

I enjoyed the books a lot. If there's any way for you to borrow the first book, then I'd suggest doing so. If you like it then most likely you'll enjoy the whole series.

I'd say they're worthy of calling them a Legion still, just made of Warbands with splinters.

I think that's fair to say the Word Bearers are still or a legion. I meant to say I liked seeing a warband that was still an organized unit belonging to a larger legion hierarchy, however loosely.

Or had we switched tracks to the Night Lords. I work the overnight shift so I can be a bit groggy come morning time. tongue.png

As I understand it from the first book:

A Dark Apostle has to embody some aspect of divinity. So a Dark Apostle must stand above and apart from the Host. But there still needs to be some connection to the Host. That connection is the Coryphaus. The Coryphaus is very much a part of, and has the pulse of the Host, and relates that to the Dark Apostle.

Therefore in larger hosts, a Coryphaus is essential. But with smaller hosts it may be just the Dark Apostle and the understudy First Apostle.

Exactly. There is no set structure. Each Host is in accordance with the will of its Dark Apostle. That does not change. Some have a very aloof relationship with their congregation while others are right there in the middle of it. Jarulek was of the more aloof nature. Marduk was in the middle ground. If there is a Coryphaus, that is his function. But nothing says there has to be.

As for Legion hierarchy, its rather loose since Kor Phaeron is not part of the Dark Council and yet has some of its members bowing to his will and his assassination attempts on Erebus are met with "Oh, its Tuesday again." So I'd vote "very loose" on that front.

I quite like the small things, the details in the book. Marines read and recite prayers when strapped in their harnesses, they check their weapons, perform small rituals, attend meetings an overall function in the pragmatic and efficient way of the astartes, despite being warrior zealots. Not only that but they have plans, follow through the orders given and they do act by space marine standards. Still the cherry on top of this books is IMO the use of warp tech on all levels of the warband. From vat grown sacrfices to carefully nurtured skin slaves for prachment, to the Discords and the warp masks. These are the things that make Chaos fascinating, especially when GW merely tones us down to simple, by the book, villains.

As for the Host, it is still a loose formations but in broader terms it is coteries grouped in companies under the overall cobtrol of a Coryphaus. Even the book once shows coteries of dozens of marines and another time coteries of five or so astartes. Then you have the Coryphaus who has liutenats, a Dark Apostle who has an acolyte... and so on. In the end the Host is a shifting formation, formed and reformed as the needs of war dictate, what are the static elements are mostly the higher ranks, the armoured divisions and the cults.

More than appearing as very organized, the Word Bearers in the book appear traditional, with units there not because they follow a specific organization, but mostly because it is so and it has been for the past few thousand years...and also because the Warp has the side effect of fusing you with your work implements, be it a gun or a tank.

These books have inspired many a thread amzd coloured others with their portrayal of both a Chaps Legion in the 40k timeline and specifically the Word Bearers legion. Throughout the series you feel that the 34th Host deploys the most suitable units to any given task, they rely on their Astartes training and their millennia long experience to meet the for that they face. It shows to me that at least some Chaos Marines are still Space Marines first and Chaotic second. They have abused and debased the rituals to service the Dark Gods but ritual, sacrifice and combat training are still the be all and end all of their lives. A true dark mirror of their loyalist brethren, fuelled by the holy zealotry that only the truth can inspire.

Imagine the most fire and brimstone tellyvangelist, transform him into a post human killing machine, then have his god appear to him and tell him that he (god) doesn't exist and his evangelism has been in vain. Then show him the dark reality that emotion has physical power in the universe and watch as his sermons rain actual hellfire onto his congregations. That is a Word Bearer.

Just got the first battle scene.

I love that marduk is beckoning on his brothers. The whole evil holy warrior angle is something that never really appealed to me till now and the possessed are awesome! Loving it.

Just got the first battle scene.

I love that marduk is beckoning on his brothers. The whole evil holy warrior angle is something that never really appealed to me till now and the possessed are awesome! Loving it.

Think you love him know? Wait until you get to the third book. msn-wink.gif

I have to agree that the second book is a bit slow in the advancing of the plot but it has some solid merits. First it shows the Chaos Marines in a "covert" operation, then it shows them fighting against a swift opponent like the DE and last is presents them in combat against hordes of Tyranids. In the end I love to read about "disciplined" Chaos Space Marines, it is shown why are they good on the job and how they still call upon the entire complement of their legion warmaking knowledge. I also love a simple quote, we are astartes first, believers second, which IMO gives the Word Bearers a much deeper meaning, they are not only religious fanatics but first and foremost they are warriors and they live and behave like warriors, religion is there to complement them not to dominate them.

Yet some great bits of the book are the minor quotas and citations which actually show the Word Bearers as a scholarly legion, for each warrior knows countless epistles of Lorgar, recalls past battles and events, and every marine (at least the characters) often wade into the philosophical when they observe their surroundings. You have no idea how I appreciate this, it is a great improvement on the character of the legion for the Word Bearers are supposed to be the second most learned space marine legion, second only to the Thousand Sons. Even the Coryphaus, despite being a warrior is clearly a very learned commander not only in matters of war but also politics, philosophy and religion. 

I adore this analogy of the XVII legion. In order to preach faith you have to learn about it, to learn about such a subject you have to read a lot, and by reading a lot you learn a lot. Also the minor citation of warrior brothers investing copious time into things like glyphs, lectures, writing poems and reading or writing religious texts, as well as scrimshawing bones or producing works of religious art shows a very creative and crafty legion. 

In short the Word Bearers are portrayed as as warrior scholars when they fight, when they speak, when they observe and when they create or destroy. To them the meaning of things is important and they see battle as only one of their many duties to the Dark Gods. In short I am slowly but surely being converted into a son of Lorgar. 

This book is making me want to repaint my models to red and silver. I can guarantee if I were to do that, AD-Bs talon of Horus will make me want to paint them back to black and gold.

Dam you, awesome authors!

Archived