Land Raider side access points?

I am building a LR Crusader/Redeemer currently and intend to magnetize the sponsons.  I am painting the interior, so I am magnetizing the weapon itself and not the entire sponson mount.  From a rules perspective, does it matter which of the "access point" slots the sponsons go into?  I see the images have the Redeemer's sponson occupying the forward slot, and the Crusader's the rearward (the Phobos is mounted thusly as well).  The C:SM description of the LR, however, does not specify which one is actually the access point, just that a LR (of any flavor) has one access point on each side.

I intended to mount the sponsons forward for the extra range with the template weapon (it is measured from the weapon itself and not the LR's hull, correct?), but also because, from a logical standpoint, it seems idiotic to have your troops disembarking in front of a weapon system that should be firing for suppression as they exit the vehicle.

So from a rules standpoint, am I 5x5 to just use the front "access point" to mount the sponsons?  Will I run into any snags disembarking, if, say I've got full on 16 models coming from the assault ramp AND the rear side doors?

Thanks.

There is no rule one way or another.  You can place the sponsons in either front or back locations.  It comes down to personal preference.

I prefer weapons to the front as it gives a greater disembark area around the vehicle and, with the weapons further forward, effectively extends the shooting range of the sponsons.

But, as I said, there are no rules about this.  Do whatever you feel like.

Mount the weapons on the forward hatch, there was apparently an issue disembarking in front of your sponsons and those shots being resolved on the unit just disembarked.

?

Archived