mulltiple charges overwatch in 7th

bradstorm

Edit: resolved, see below.

----------

Hey guys

I've got stumped on another charging issue tongue.png

IIRC in 6th, overwatch didn't have to be fired at the first unit that charges you, you could save it for the second unit to charge you if you so desired. for example if the first unit that charges you is a single ork nob, but there was a second full unit of nobs waiting to charge also.

I noticed in the 7th ed book that they have added a sentence at the end of the 'charge move' section (which finishes top left of pg 47) saying "If you follow this sequence......... The two units are now locked in combat"

In the following section regarding being locked in combat, you cannot overwatch.

The summary section for the charge sub-phase on pg 44 shows that you can only declare the next (second) charge after the previous charge has finished (see point 4 &5).

Does this mean that so long as the first unit successfully charges into contact, the assaulted unit cannot fire overwatch on the second charging unit; as the units are technically locked in combat at the end of the charge move (point 4) prior to the declaring of the next charge (point 5)?

What do you guys think, I cant seem to un-read it to find rules to counter this.

Overwatch has remained unchanged between 6th->7th.  

So like you said, if a unit made a successful charge in 6th the assaulted unit could no longer Overwatch against other units attempting to charge it.  Additionally if you had overwatched against that first charging unit and stopped the charge, or the charge failed via it's 2D6, you are unable to resolve overwatch against a 2nd charging unit during that phase.

It was the same in 6th.  Once a unit has been locked in combat it cannot fire overwatch.  It can also only fire overwatch once per assault phase.

You still don't "have" to fire at the first unit that charges you, but if they make it into B2B, you've lost out on the chance to fire it that assault phase.

It's a calculated risk.  Now, if the first unit to declare was 10+ inches away (or 8+ and charging through cover (the chances of success are 1/12 either way)), you might expect them to fail their charge and hold off to shoot the more valuable unit that would be charging next.

I usually just shoot the first unit to attempt the charge.  I'd rather kill something with overwatch than risk killing nothing by holding off.

Archived