Multiple Allied Detachments (?)

L30n1d4s

Reading through the new rule book and multiple reviews of 7th edition, I understand clearly that you can take as many primary detachments and allied detachments as you want in a Battle Forged list, as long as you meet the minimum requirements (i.e. HQ/two Troops for each Primary Det and HQ/Troop for each Allied Det).

My question is related to taking multiple allied detachments from different factions. For example, in a normal, Battle Forged army can I take a Grey Knight Primary detachment and also take a Space Wolf allied detachment, a Sisters of Battle allied detachment, and an Inquisition allied detachment all in the same army legally? Based on my reading (multiple times) of the rulebook section on detachments, I believe you can do this, since I see no restriction requiring a player to have allied detachments all come from the same faction, but I might have missed something and wanted to ask if anyone knew a definite answer on this.

Thanks for any help in confirming or denying my inquiry here.

Reading through the new rule book and multiple reviews of 7th edition, I understand clearly that you can take as many primary detachments and allied detachments as you want in a Battle Forged list, as long as you meet the minimum requirements (i.e. HQ/two Troops for each Primary Det and HQ/Troop for each Allied Det).

You can only take one Primary Detachment now, and it contains your Warlord. This usually takes the shape of a Combined Arms Detachment, but there are exceptions. In addition, you may take as many Combined Arms and Allied Detachments as points, FOC, and the game agreement allow for.

My question is related to taking multiple allied detachments from different factions. For example, in a normal, Battle Forged army can I take a Grey Knight Primary detachment and also take a Space Wolf allied detachment, a Sisters of Battle allied detachment, and an Inquisition allied detachment all in the same army legally? Based on my reading (multiple times) of the rulebook section on detachments, I believe you can do this, since I see no restriction requiring a player to have allied detachments all come from the same faction, but I might have missed something and wanted to ask if anyone knew a definite answer on this.

Thanks for any help in confirming or denying my inquiry here.

Provided you have the points and your opponent agrees or no limits on it are announced by the tournament organizers, sure, you can.

You can also take a Primary Grey Knights Detachment with a Space Wolf Combined Arms Detachment, Inquisitorial Detachment, and a Sororitas Allied Detachment, provided the points are available, etc.

You can also take a Primary Grey Knights Detachment with a Space Wolf Combined Arms Detachment, Inquisitorial Detachment, and a Sororitas Allied Detachment, provided the points are available, etc.         

Just for clarity, as this caught me out, the Primary GK Detachment in the example above must be a Combined Arms detachment.

As an Allied detachment is restricted from being your Primary Detachment.

Also remember that dataslates are valid detachments, as well, for Battleforged armies.  Combined Arms and Allied detachments are the examples teh base rule book muses, but not the only available options.  Codex: Inquisition, Codex: Imperial Knights, Codex: Legion of the Damned, and Codex: Miltarum Tempestus also contain alternate detachment organizations.  I'm sure I'm missing some,a s well.

Also remember that dataslates are valid detachments, as well, for Battleforged armies.  Combined Arms and Allied detachments are the examples teh base rule book muses, but not the only available options.  Codex: Inquisition, Codex: Imperial Knights, Codex: Legion of the Damned, and Codex: Miltarum Tempestus also contain alternate detachment organizations.  I'm sure I'm missing some,a s well.

Correct, a good many do have alternative Primary Detachment and Allied Detachment FOCs, but not all. Always read the book/supplement/codex and it will give identity and descriptions as to what can qualify. If it does not specifically list an FOC, it is usually modifying a codex army list which requires a Combined Arms Detachment or Allied Detachment FOC to be part of Battle-Forged.

Archived