Red Thirst and Black Rage - what's the difference?

Valkyrion

Would recommend ADB's At Gaius Point to read for the reason that it's a tale involving the Flesh Tearers on Armageddon, one suffering from the Black Rage who gets loose and another hunting for him, and Torturer's Thirst by Andy Smillie for another variation on the rage.

But yeah, Red Thirst always led to the Tower of Amareo, think there was a pic of it in 2nd edition codex and that DC were killed after deployed if they survived combat but with exception being Lemartes.

Slightly related but what happens to the armour of the DC after they die, does it get repainted back to red for future marines to receive or as well their gene-seed?

That story was located in one of the "stories of the space marines" or somesuch right? I loved that story :) and it dident have any mention of silly Astorath as he wasent written down yet at that point ^_^

The pdf was an insult and a crime on several levels.... Lets not talk about that again wacko.png I mean.... Mephiston is included to the death company and they say he overcomes the red thirst? wallbash.gif

Hey the pdf was a stopgap that at least worked and didn't include brofisting xenos or astroguy.  It was a shame to be so neglected, but sometimes I wish guys like ward and swallow would ignore us a little more.  I mean the pdf sucked as we never got any background or fluff but then when they finally do, all of the sudden Roboute Guilliman is the most influential person ever to the BA legion or the new shiny guy is so new and shiny that nobody knows if he really exists or not....c'mon. 

When was Mephiston ever in the DC?  I don't actually remember that...

Can't wait for the new codex next year, hopefully we'll get some more clarification and stories regarding the red thirst/ black rage and less silliness like this time around.

Mephiston (back when he wasent called that and was just a "normal" librarian...and had a different name) was inducted in the death compan on (I think) armageddon during on assault on one of the hive cities. During the fighting the building he was fighting in collapsed ontop of him and basicly trapped him there for a week.

Whilst he still struggled with the red thirst and was still afflicted by the black rage he couldnt act on it. Supposedly he got a vision from Sanguinius telling him that he had to resist the black rage for the future of the blangels. So he could show other it could be overcome

Behold a week later he overcame the black rage, burst free from the rubble and casually walked back to imperial lines whilst killing what orks he came across.

Thats about what I recall frmo it anyway....

Ok I had to go look it up for myself and the way you recalled it is just like in the current dex.  However, the last two codex (the pdf and the mini dex) both say nearly the same thing except that he conquered the red thirst.  I wish I still had the old AoD codex to look at.

... For fully seven days and seven nights did he lie there trapped, caught between death and the madness of the Red Thirst, for a vision of beloved Sanguinius came to him and told him that he must resist.  And further did the vision say that he must resist not just for himself, but for all of us, for should he resist then he would show us that the Red Thirst can be conquered.  And so he fought the feelings of rage and the desire for blood and he defeated them and on the seventh night at the hour of midnight did he burst free from his rocky tomb, reborn as Mephiston, our Lord of Death.        -Book of Mephiston, verse 23

If I remember, proto-Mephy was already inducted into the Death Company at the time of the collapsed building. Ergo, he was already gripped with the Black Rage. Red Thirst is part of that as well. It would appear to me that all angels with Black Rage have Red Thirst but not everyone with Red Thirst have Black Rage.

If I remember, proto-Mephy was already inducted into the Death Company at the time of the collapsed building. Ergo, he was already gripped with the Black Rage. Red Thirst is part of that as well. It would appear to me that all angels with Black Rage have Red Thirst but not everyone with Red Thirst have Black Rage.

Yeah, also, to keep the Red Thirst in check, one needs a strong mind to force down the urge kill/spill blood/basically run amok. Once the Black Rage takes over a marine's mind, I for one wouldn't call that mental condition stable, so the Red Thirst can take him in its grip.

Two different things appearing at once, but the Thirst is basically abusing the "weakened" defenses while the marine is affected by the Black Rage.

Snorri

Sounds plausible. Only problem is if you conquor the red thirst but not the black rage your seeing visions instead of reality and you are still revisiting Sanguinius' last moments. Hence why I highly question if he conquored the red thirst instead of the black rage....

Archived