Models hit vs model base - Blast/template

Nrthstar

No dumb questions right?

So this debate arose my last game and it rapidly split the store up. When using a template, is a model, that is on a base, hit if the template lies over the model or over the base. As some models hang well over their base, here's looking at you canoptek wraiths, does it's body that extends off of the base count as being hit? Or is the base there to represent the actual space it is within and is only hit by a template when the template actually covers the base? Before I share my bias and the pages I pull it from I'd love to hear from my brothers here.

Well, the special rule for the Blast states that it is a "model" that is partially or totally covered by the blast that takes the hit.

Distances are measured from bases but I would be inclined to say based on the rule that it is the model, not the base :)

Kinda hard to say, the rules are somewhat contradictory... I'd say hitting either the base or the model would both net you a hit (base and/or model)

BRB, page 12, under Blast Markers and Templates (last sentence just before the Scatter heading) :

Remember that a model's base is counted as being part of the model itself, so all a template or blast marker has to do to cause a hit is to cover any part of the target's base.

I assume this last sentence is the one in contention.

On the one hand, it can be read as a finality : for a hit to count, it has to cover any part of the model's base.

I see it as an extension of what had been said in the previous paragraphs : as long as the template hits any part of the model you get a hit, therefore since the base is a part of the model, hitting any part of the base also counts.

Page 10 "measuring distances" refers to the base of models.

Page 12 "Blast markers and templates" refers to any part of a models base, but also any part of the model (as noted by PNF above).

So if any part of a model is under the blast marker, including the base, that is 1 hit scored on the unit (with additional hits for each additional model also found to be under the blast marker).

One could make the case that weapons, banners etc should be ignored for this purpose, citing page 14 "line of sight" as precedent for such items to be ignored.

I'm not up to date with the latest edition of the game. But I have a question that ties into this. In 6th edition not all of a model counted for LoS. For example a big set of wings, or a huge banner could block LoS, but they couldn't be used to target that model if the rest of the model couldn't be seen.

If this is still in play in 7th, does covering those bits (and nothing else) with a template count as a hit?

Archived