Space Marine Strike Force Ultra - Good or Bad buy?

Noxnoctis22

How good/bad of a buy would the Space Marine Strike Force Ultra be for starting a DA army? I'm looking at it for $250 with free shipping on eBay right now.

Convince me to pull the trigger and buy it or pull the trigger on myself for thinking of something so dumb. Thanks.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292551-trying-to-choose-between-da-and-csm-new-player/?p=3720337

Look at the above post I made.  

Assuming that you have a set of DV Terminators, and buy a DW Command Squad box.

This is (30) Terminators + a model that can be Counts-as Belial, plus a Land Raider Crusader - only thing that can't be used is the Stormraven unless you ally (nothing wrong with this) or you can trade it for another Land Raider if possible.  

You'll get (2) Power Swords from SFU, (1) from the Command Squad, and (1) from the DV set, this is (4) DW squad Sarges.

The DW CS can be Knights or a Command Squad, or more rank and file, your choice, if it was me, I'd make Knights and use the bits from the box to make one of the assault squads a Command Squad w/Banner, but that's me.

A pair of Las Cannon arms for the Dread makes him a Mortis Las (freaking awesome)

If you do the above, you've got;

Belial

Knights x5

Command Squad w/Banner

DW Terminator Troops x4

Land Raider Crusader

Mortis Mk V (Las or Auto Cannons)

Storm Raven that can be traded or used for another project.

hope it helps.

Paul

I have nothing at the moment for DA. I'm debating repainting my AOBR Terminators and Dreadnought to start my DA army.

As for what I want my force to do, not 100%, I like the DW aspects of DA so that's why I wanted to start a DA army.

I currently play a RG army that's geared towards ASM w/JP, Scouts and a couple of Rhinos. Mainly infantry heavy.

Deathwing armies focus on the use of land raiders and deepstrike to inflict shock attacks. Often in the games their in terminators arrive, kill something and then die. (armor saves ain't what they used to be) You need to abuse your scoring land raiders to bully your enemies toughest guns from obliterating your terminators the turn they arrive. And you will also be using them to infuriate your opponent by denying him objective secured status, and by denying him potentially important maneuvers around your army.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292551-trying-to-choose-between-da-and-csm-new-player/?p=3720337

Look at the above post I made.  

Assuming that you have a set of DV Terminators, and buy a DW Command Squad box.

This is (30) Terminators + a model that can be Counts-as Belial, plus a Land Raider Crusader - only thing that can't be used is the Stormraven unless you ally (nothing wrong with this) or you can trade it for another Land Raider if possible.  

You'll get (2) Power Swords from SFU, (1) from the Command Squad, and (1) from the DV set, this is (4) DW squad Sarges.

The DW CS can be Knights or a Command Squad, or more rank and file, your choice, if it was me, I'd make Knights and use the bits from the box to make one of the assault squads a Command Squad w/Banner, but that's me.

A pair of Las Cannon arms for the Dread makes him a Mortis Las (freaking awesome)

If you do the above, you've got;

Belial

Knights x5

Command Squad w/Banner

DW Terminator Troops x4

Land Raider Crusader

Mortis Mk V (Las or Auto Cannons)

Storm Raven that can be traded or used for another project.

hope it helps.

Paul

I'll start off by saying that, YES, this does help out a lot. Thanks! 

So as I stated I don't have any DV units. I just have a 5-man Shooty Terminator squad w/no upgrades & a Dreadnought w/MM & PF w/SB from the AOBR box set. I figured I could repaint the Terminators and use them as is, maybe add so DA bits. The Dreadnought I'm thinking I just replace the arms with 2x LC or AC.

My other options was to purchase the DA units from the DV box set. Looking at around $50 or so for a Company Master, Librarian, Tactical Squad, DW Terminator Squad and a RW Bike Squadron. Then buy a DW Command Squad box. This route seems to give me a well-rounded DA army, not just DW heavy.

I'm going to make two lists to see which ones gives which units and how much it would cost. Getting the right units is one thing but how much everything will cost in the long run matters too.

Seems like a perfectly good place to start a DA DW army, proxy the stormraven as a Darktalon/Neph

Get yourself a drop pod for the Dread if you're so inclined and you've probably got yourself  a decent 1850ish list right there.

$50 is too much for half a DV set, if you were getting it for $40 that would be a deal, at that price though you're paying half of full retail.  

I've got 3 sets of AoBR Terminators in my army, you can pick a few of them out if you look, but I modified them heavily.  If you remove the arms and cut off the pegs, cut out the helmet and file it, and cut off the foot peg, you've got a blank torso.  Ebay a set of Crux pads and use them as your Command Squad using ebay bits for the crux and extras from a Command Squad box.  At a glance you can't tell them apart from anything else, and it's a good/easy conversion.  

I also took the plate from the Ravenwing Sprue, cut the front off my AoBR dread and slapped a pair of FW Auto Cannons on him, he's not painted, but looks boss (still need my Smoke Launcher to come in).  

There are pictures to my army in my signature.  Check it out, quite a bit of conversion in there, and/or kit bashing.  

Best,

Paul

Well if your half of a DV set is all of the DA sprues I think $50 is a pretty decent deal.  You're getting 2 HQs (one of which is a perfect Azrael stand-in), 10 tactical marines with 3 special weapons, 3 bikes with 1 special weapon, and 5 terminators with an AC/CF.  Granted you are missing out on the bits, but 5 DA terminators alone is $60 USD $50 for the regular vanilla ones, so I think that's a pretty good deal.

The Box is $100, which is supposed to include both armies and a rule book.   

$50 is half of full retail, lets face it, you can get 20% off all day every day online, so half is worth $40 since the rule book is old and worthless now.  

This is a good deal for models, yes, but they are more static than the AoBR guys were.  I never liked the models out of the box myself, and ended up selling all (5) of the DA sets I wound up with.  

If you can afford to wait, wait for the newer edition to come out with the book, buy a whole one (you might get lucky with another LTD Character release like Sephacus) and sell the other half, you'll be ahead.  

Paul

If you love Deathwing then buy the Strike Force Ultra.  You've already got an Infantry Army and you can always get the DV stuff at a later point...

Like Pbenner said, try to trade the Storm Raven for another Land Raider (Crusader I think would be best) and buy a box of Deathwing Terminators

Then repaint and convert your AoBR Terminators and Dreadnought, providing that you're not using them in your Raven Guard army of course!

Well sadly to say I've decided against getting the Strike Force Ultra...It really just ends up costing me too much money right now. I still need to pick up paints for my DA color scheme, I have some but not all of them. I'll have to pick up the Codex of course. A new set of dice to match my army, yeah I know...So with all that I just couldn't spend the $250. I know in the long run I'll spend it but it's easier on my wallet if I stretch it out.

Even though I went against what most suggested, thanks anyway.

That being said sometimes its a matter of wise initial investment. When I started out my wolves, I bought one box of grey hunters at a time. Now I realize I could have saved quite a bit had I bought the space wolves battle force AND the new battle force. That way I would have enough to mix and match and have a total of 40 Grey hunters, 2 drop pods, venerable dread and some fancy wold guard using the command squad. Not to mention scouts and rhino. Oh well, live and learn.

@kasper,

While I can see the logic in your statement. There was probably an emotional or spiritual reason behind the decision you made.... That perhaps at that time the battle force was just too much money to spend at one time.

For me today the number I wince at is about $1000 on a single purchase no matter what it is. Back when I first got into 40k it was about $75.

So don't focus to much on it.

Archived