Dark angels green.

The Rogue Gamer

Can anyone recommend a paint that is like the old Dark angels green?

I've got over 3000 points of Green Wing already painted and want to add some more to the tally but just can't get a finish I like using calaban green.

So I thought I'd see if anyone had got any suggestions as I really don't want to have to go back and repaint every thing to get a consistent finish.

I have a couple of options...

1. Keep looking in non-GW stockists for Dark Angels Green. I managed to buy the last couple of pots from my local a couple of months ago.

2. Army Painter Angel Green in spray cans or dropper bottle. I use the spray on my vehicles and it is very, very close and the dropper is a 100% match with the spray. Once highlighted and weathered I can't tell the difference.

3. Vallejo Dark Green (Game colour 72028) dropper bottle. I have one but have not used it too much - see point 1.

Hope this helps :)

An old paint comparison thread between new and old GW colors I did.

Putting a layer or two of Waywatcher Green glaze over Caliban Green serves to enhance and bring the green out more and tone down the greyish hue/lack of green saturation that seems to be in Caliban Green. If you want the more "satin" shine that DA Green used to give, you can use a satin brush on varnish over the newer green to give it that similar appearance to the older color.

If you don't want to use the GW paints (don't necessarily blame you), Elmo's suggestions are all good, as well as check with Coat d'Arms, they should also have a "Dark Angel"-esque green.

New caliban green seems alrighty for me at least. I was worried that the transition will be bad and visible but nowadays even me can't say which models were painted DA green and which were painted caliban green.

But my biggest dissapointment is that Caliban green spray was LIMITED EDITION!!! Imagine that!

This spray can is now OOP

I just started using Vallejo Dark Green (Game colour 72028) its working really well. The color is almost exactly the same (in my eyes) but it takes 1-2 drops to paint a tactical marine. 

Note that when painting with it, it looks waaaayyyyy greener wet than it does when dry.

Not sure about he other model paint brands but a while back I went to my art store (Utrecht) and got this: http://i.imgur.com/M0Vffps.jpg

That's about $30 for the paint (20) and medium (10).  About 5 times as much as a citadel paint but about 10+ times the quantity.  While you need to use a good amount of matte medium and water, that little paint goes a long way.  Not meant for airbrushing though.

The pigment repsonsible for that odd irredescent sort of green that the previous Dark Angels Green had is "pthalo green", short for "phthalocyanine green".  A hue similar to the former Dark Angels Green is "Phthalocyanine Green 150" , "Viridiam Hue 195", or "Permanent Green Light 130" seen at the top left here: http://mgraham.com/products/acrylic/greens/   You really have to see them in person to color match though.  That should at least get you started, but remember that most companies (like GW) have paint hues custom formulated for them, meaning that you probalby won't find an exact match, just something close to the color of the former Dark Angels Green.

As SvenONE noted, you will probalby want some matte medium to go with this paint, as tube paints like these are usually more concentrated than paint in pots, and you will want to thin them down quite a bit.  Don't go too crazy with the matte medium, and use water for thining too.  Experiment a bit, and you will find the paint concentration and consistency that you like.

Have a look at the space marine painter on these forums and paint a marine DA green, then use the colour comparison function the painter has to see what the nearest matches are.

There used to be an old GW paint called ork flesh which was the same shade of dark green as DA green and you can probably still find that in the Coat d'Arms range of paints.

Hope that helps. :)

Depends on how old of a Dark Angels Green color he means. See this pic:

http://www.stephane.info/res/article/citadel_paint/citadel_paint.jpg

If the paint came in a bottle like either of the two on the right, Coat D'Arms "Angel Green" (the Dark Angels Green equivalent color from that range) will not match it. In that case, you will have to color match as I have suggested. If the paint came in a bottle shaped like either of the two on the left, Coat D'Arms "Angel Green" will match it, and it is readily available in the UK. If the paint pot doesn't look like any of those, and looks like the current paint pots but isn't of the current range, it is from the transitional color range which was most recently updated. Nothing really matches that color exactly, so just go with the latest Caliban Green as it should be close enough.

Wayland Games carries the whole Coat D'Arms range: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/coat-d-arms-paints/fantasy/angel-green/prod_17832.html

Sometimes you will see the Coat D'Arms Dark Angels Green equivalent listed as Dark Elf Green, but if I recall correctly it is a lighter hue of green than Angel Green. If in doubt, order both. Considering the price, you can't go very wrong if you get both just to be sure you get the right color.

Personally I am pretty much fed up with GW's paint range changes, and I've switched to Army Painter "Angel Green". The spray version($14.99 US for 400 ml of Army painter Angel Green spray compared to $17.00 US for 400 ml of GW's Caliban Green spray) is great for base coating everything (particularly vehicles), and the bottle paint version of it ($2.99 US for 18 ml of Army painter Angel Green compared to $4.00 US for 12 ml of GW's Caliban Green) really does match the spray very well. And it is a good value. I know, right?! It is almost like http://www.thearmypainter.com/ wants our business! tongue.png

None of that may be a factor though. Sometimes you want a particualr look and it is only available in a certain paint range. If so, get the brand of paint you need to achieve it, because you deserve to have your models look how you want them to. cool.png

Archived