Drop pods in 7th

thepowerofwar

That's an interesting find man ! The problem of the missile I find is that it's very short ranged and makes the transport quite expensive. Although 3 pods coming on turn one with missiles and full squads might be an interesting operation :)

In combat speed, a vehicle can only fire one weapon normally.  Since the Drop Pod only has 1 weapon, I don't think it makes any difference at all.

But the old rule was cruising speed which meant that you could only snap fire.  So taking the missiles would be unable to fire the turn they landed but now they can.

I usually run 3-5 pods and I've been taking death wind launchers on two of those as of lately. 

Together with scoring it works quite well to drop on an objective. The very short range means that you'll rarely get more than one or two shots at the most, but those can be really helpful to give your alpha strike a bit more punch. 

Alleviates the problem of strong units hiding in cheap transports as you'll get that extra big blast to drop on them if the transport goes down.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually run 3-5 pods and I've been taking death wind launchers on two of those as of lately. 

Together with scoring it works quite well to drop on an objective. The very short range means that you'll rarely get more than one or two shots at the most, but those can be really helpful to give your alpha strike a bit more punch. 

Alleviates the problem of strong units hiding in cheap transports as you'll get that extra big blast to drop on them if the transport goes down.

How have the Deathwind Missiles performed for you so far ?

I've had a few instances when they were duds (failing a dangerous roll, max scatter in the wrong direction) but over all they have work well. They do require a bit more planning when placing objectives in relation to the range of the launchers and terrain. 

I'm torn on whether troop squads belong in drop pods in non-drop pod armies or if you'd be better off only podding distraction or suicide squads.

Define 'drop pod army'. Pods are generally stronger in medium numbers, not all out steel rain.

I'm torn on whether troop squads belong in drop pods in non-drop pod armies or if you'd be better off only podding distraction or suicide squads.

Define 'drop pod army'. Pods are generally stronger in medium numbers, not all out steel rain.

3+ @ 1000, 5+ @ 1500.

An all pod army can be interesting and fun in 7th, especially now that the pods can get objective secured !

I'm going to run a single full Tactical squad in a Pod at 1500 in a Raven Guard list (along with 2 other Tacs in Razorbacks further in the backfield).

The idea is that I can still move a unit forward with security even if I go 2nd or if I can't scout (servo skulls). Rather than throwing the unit where it'll hurt the most like you see with sternguards or command squads, I'll drop it into a position of strength where it can bother the enemy because of the annoyance it will bring in later turns. With Tactical squjads in Pods, the advantage is that you don't care for optimal placement to deal damage, compared to suicide squads, but you can have them bunker up in solid cover in the enemy deployment zone :)

Like Outflanking, part of the value of the Drop Pod lies in its ability to shape the frontline according to your whims (and the scatter dice !).

I'm not particularly fond of suicide squads to be honest, unless they're kept extremely cheap. More importantly, if you drop a large unit as a distraction to soak up some firepower, its damage capability is not the primary fact that will make it to the top of the target priority. It's the fact that it's going to be right there, up the enemy's face. In that case, better go with firepower that is cheap and you can afford to waste.

Archived