Scout Sergeant Naaman, and dataslates

aura_enchanted

Should he come back with a new plastic/resin model and a dataslate? If so what should he do?

I feel that we are rather lacking as a codex as we don't have dataslate. The eldar have ghost knights, csm have cypher and hellcult, sm's have sfu, rcs, twv, three codex supplement. And the tau have theirs. censored.gif scions and imperial knights have dataslates and they don't even bloody deserve them.

So I think this would be a perfect opportunity to make a namaan dataslate. A new resin scout that reduces cover saves by -2 and gives up to two squads (of ten) infiltrate.

Would this be a good idea?

He's dead alrigth....

I liek the idea of a Naaman dataslate, it could push our scouts into omething even more wothwhile, but I would prefer a dataslate on an existing character in order to round him up a bit more: Asmodai, I'm looking at you!

To be fair, Blood Angels Captain Tycho is dead, but I bet they get him in the next codex.

Naaman, as we know, was instrumental in the locating, and disabling, of the Ork Telllyportas on Piscina IV but that was pretty much his only notable action. To bring him back as a Unique character would, in my opinion, be like bringing in Brother Bethor as a Unique character; pointless. Neither warrior has added anything to the chapter that thousands of other Dark Angels haven't also added.

He will forever be a noted hero of the chapter, and that is as it should be, but I don't really think he could bring anything to the tabletop that a Veteran Scout Sergeant can't already bring, and we've been able to recreate the Piscina IV strike force for ages anyway so FOC unlocks would be irrelevant.

Just my opinion, mind.

I thought Namaan was dead.

Plenty more where he came from:

Like his battle-brothers, the sergeant saw himself as a military asset, and the preservation of his life was a tactical objective: the preservation of force. Several times in the past day he had come close to dying, but it was the potential of failing his mission that had motivated him to survive, not an emotional attachment to his continued existence. He knew that his deeds and his memory would live on through the Chapter – and quite literally through the gene-seed he had incubated within his body – so he felt none of the sense of “ending that other men might feel about death. Even his name was something that Naaman was only borrowing from the Dark Angels; he knew the stories of twenty-six Brother Naamans that had come before and also knew that the twenty-eighth Brother Naaman would learn of his actions.

I thought Namaan was dead.

I thought he was too ...
he is, doesn't mean they couldn't dataslate him in is a bonus character. Or does the idea of doing something "for the heck of it" offend you?

Wow - I sense some unwarranrted tension in that statement ... No it doesnt offend me at all, by all means the idea of adding a character to represent a Vet. Scout Sgt. akin to Naaman would be very cool - after all we have had one before why not another that takes up his vacated position!? 

And now reading what Lucien has posted it seems that Naaman was more than just a name but a title, in which case sure get us a dataslate so we can use that bad boy again.

I was meerly adding a comment to a thread on the t'interwebz - no offence taken and none meant.

Sapphon would be better in my opinion, and would certainly provide more fluff for someone who deserves to be fleshed out more than, perhaps, Naaman. Plus, Asmodai is a gimmicky character and a strong Chaplain would be more welcome I feel.

the issue is that what do you pair him with? a command squad? thats already been done, they need a new approach that would stand out. about the only other model system that makes sense would be sapphon would be veterans or assault marines. CC is where a chaplain does his best work and thats a statement of fact. assault marines are the blood angels cup of tea and so that leaves veterans.

so i dont see the point to sapphon as much asense as he would make. scout sgt namaan would be the smarter option. brother belthor isnt anyone to write home about either i agree.

our only other option really is to pull someone else out of the chapter records like a dusty old mop, blow it off, and start fresh. and this is GW were talking about here. them doing stuff like that. its just not happening sorry

If the DAs are going to get a dataslate, I'd rather see one for one of the successor chapters, specifically the Consecrators. The Consecrators have and use lots of ancient technology and relics, and that could be written up in a way to allow a pretty unique force on the tabletop.

Meh, seeing Naaman wouldn't really do anything for me. It'd be spot of nostalgia, that's all. The DA's "real scouts" are the Ravenwing (as much as Marines on massive hogs can be scouts - more like outriders, IMO).

Asmodai was a waste of an entry, his model's ok but I really wish there was a High Interrogator entry like Sapphon.  I understand that that's sort of been done with BT, but come on!

BA have Sanguinary Priests, SW Rune Priests/Lone Wolves, BT's have the Emperor's Champion!  We have Asmodai...

Asmodai was a waste of an entry, his model's ok but I really wish there was a High Interrogator entry like Sapphon. I understand that that's sort of been done with BT, but come on!

BA have Sanguinary Priests, SW Rune Priests/Lone Wolves, BT's have the Emperor's Champion! We have Asmodai...

I think we shouldn't compare Asmodai (SC) with Generic IC...

BT has EC, BA has SP, SW has LW, DA has Interrogator Chaplains...

However i agree that Asmodai rules are poorly written...

Asmodai was a waste of an entry, his model's ok but I really wish there was a High Interrogator entry like Sapphon. I understand that that's sort of been done with BT, but come on!

BA have Sanguinary Priests, SW Rune Priests/Lone Wolves, BT's have the Emperor's Champion! We have Asmodai...

I think we shouldn't compare Asmodai (SC) with Generic IC...

BT has EC, BA has SP, SW has LW, DA has Interrogator Chaplains...

However i agree that Asmodai rules are poorly written...

I think an interesting addition would be if he made veterans troops. And if he could take a land raider/variant as a dedicated transport for himself and a unit he is attached too. (but that vehicle couldn't buy upgrades). That would be cool.

Asmodai's call to fame isn't any special leadership ability nor is it the favoring of special tactics, but rather his relentless pursuit of enemies for live capture, to the point where they would contemplate suicide.  I wouldn't make him so much like Grimaldus or Astorath, who open up special unit options, but rather more like Cassius, who's tough as nails.  I'd be more inclined to argue he should get eternal warrior, and either blades of reason that are actually worth using (AP 3) or some special attack (smite?).

Asmodai's call to fame isn't any special leadership ability nor is it the favoring of special tactics, but rather his relentless pursuit of enemies for live capture, to the point where they would contemplate suicide. I wouldn't make him so much like Grimaldus or Astorath, who open up special unit options, but rather more like Cassius, who's tough as nails. I'd be more inclined to argue he should get eternal warrior, and either blades of reason that are actually worth using (AP 3) or some special attack (smite?).

what about granting his entire unit adamantium will? And making the blades ap4?

Give Asmodai a fearless bubble and improve the BoR, call it a day.

I was going to say the fearless bubble should actually go to Sapphon (he's the better orator), but thinking it over I suppose would make sense - as of the last novel, he does an excellent job at keeping his guys in line, arguably even moreso than Sapphon does.  (Rites of battle for Sapphon then?)

what about granting his entire unit adamantium will? And making the blades ap4?

Adamantium will could work as well.  Dunno about having blades of reason being AP 4...  How exactly the blades change (presuming they change at all) is less important than just giving people a reason to want to field Asmodai; I suggest changing the blades simply because they don't add much of anything now.  I wouldn't push the AP 4 thing unless I figured that would make them an attractive option to use in CC (I'm suspecting they won't).  =(  IMO, it would be more viable to simply remove ID and make them a mastercrafted AP 3 power weapon.  Heck, the blades could even be downgraded into only giving him and his unit the (mostly useless) fear ability, just so long as there's actually some other incentive to play Asmodai.

Give me Data Slates for our existing named characters in Terminator Armor plz.

This. A million times.

+1.

If they could give Marneus Calgar terminator armour there's no reason why we can't give Azrael, Ezekiel and Asmodai TDA as well.

Archived