DW Command/Terminator squad box set

Noxnoctis22

I'm currently starting to put together my first DA army and I have some questions on how I should model the DW Command/Terminator box set I just picked up. I already have the first 2 squads listed below just not sure how to make the best use of the new DW box I got.

AOBR box set squad

PS/SB (Sgt.)

PF/SB

PF/SB

PF/SB

PF/SB - I plan on adding a CML from the DW Terminator to this model 

DV box set squad

PS/SB (Sgt.)

CF/SB

PF/SB

PF/SB

PF/AC

I'm assuming that making a DW Terminator Squad squad is better than making it a Command squad but correct me if I'm wrong.

DW Terminator box set squad

PS/SB (Sgt.)

??/?? - Thinking of making this a TH/SS or LC/LC model using magnets for the arms

??/?? - Thinking of making this a heavy weapon model HF/PC/AC using magnets

CF/SB - Seems like the easy choice

PF/SB - Seems like the easy choice

AS I'm still new to DA I'm well verse of optimal squad loadout for DW Terminators yet, thanks.

Make DW Knights and buy them Land Raider Crusader, add Belial and let them purge, kill and smash everything ;)

Rest of the bits - buy some shoulderpads from bitz shops or some FW ones and add the rest (powerfists and so) to the standard terminators, even the AOBR ones will work. HERE is the squad I made from AOBR bodies with DW bitz.

Hope that helps ;)

Well...DWT squads are super-scoring, but that's less important now that everything scores.  A super-scoring land raider (taken as the dedicated transport of a DWT squad) is just ridiculously awesome, and more than enough reason to prefer DWT over DWCS....if you're buying a crusader for every squad.  Otherwise, the command squad is now a great choice.  5 points for the deathwing champion is a no-brainer, and the FNP banner is really awesome insurance against plasma and torrenting if you're keeping your squads closer together.

I would  actually mix it up a bit more in your squads.  One of the main benefits of playing deathwing is that you get to mix assaulty termies and shooty termies in the same squad.  So maybe throw a thundernator into each squad, make the DWT box into a command squad with at least a champion, if not also a banna wava?

/edit/

Yeah, knights are also awesome.  I just prefer them to be bigger than 5 men, since the sergeant doesn't get to smite.  Four smiting knights is a bit underwhelming if the target is a superheavy tank or a monstrous creature, and with the shield wall, once you're down to 2 models, you're T4, so more models is better from that perspective, too.  For knights, I like seven (so six smiters) plus an interrogator chaplain, in a crusader.  That's the way to smite a baneblade or a trygon!  (and, TBH, the squad is large enough that the sheer volume of S6 attacks will beat down most targets even without smite!)

Note that modeling wise there aren't a whole lot of differences.  They can all equip the same things.  Off the top of my head, the only things the DWCS has that is different modeling wise is:

• No Sarge
  • Can have Apoth
  • Can Have Champion
  • Can Take Banner

NOTE BEFORE YOU MAGNETIZE:  There are 15 shoulder pads, 5 Crux Terminatus (Left), 5 DWK unique shoulder pads (they actually match the crest on the shields) and 5 generic Deathwing Icon bearing shoulder pads.  So keep in mind if you intend to magnetize for TH/SS and PF/SB or PF/AC/PC/etc, you'll need to magnetize the shoulder pads individually on top of the arms.  Otherwise try and find the extras on ebay or look at Forge World, their Shoulder Pads are pretty nice actually.

I actually had 2 boxes of DWTs and made 10 Knights, so I had 10 regular DW shoulder pads leftover for swapping.  It's the crux terminatus ones that are in short order though.

I would make 5 knights, buy a box of Assault Terminators and make them a command squad with the extra blingy bits, include Champ, Apoth, and a Banner.  Is a great force multiplier.

Paul

Oh boy, that's a lot wrap my head around. I'm using the excuse that I'm heavily medicated at the moment so that might be why it's a bit much for me.

It seems like I've been suggested making them DW Knight, DW Command and DW Terminators...so pretty much every option. But that makes sense as all of them seem like a good choice.

If I go the DW Knight option it looks like I should add a LR Crusader and Belial. I work with that as I've got a gift card from Father's Day for my local hobby shop. As for Belial I'd probably try to kitbash my own as the standard model is a bit boring.

I like the idea of getting a box of SM Assault Terminators and using the legs/torso with the leftover DW Command bits too.

Also these are the other units I have for my DA army. If that makes a difference for what I should do.

HQ
Company Master
1x Combi-plasma, 1x Power Sword

TROOPS
Tactical Squad
5x Extra SM, 1x Plasma Gun, 1x Plasma Cannon 1x Plasma Pistol

Scout Squad
5x Extra SM, 10x CCW

Scout Squad
5x Camo Cloaks, 5x Sniper Rifles

Dreadnought (Looking to convert this to a 2x LT AC or 2x LT LC model)

FAST ATTACK
RW Attack Squadron - 95
1x Chainsword, 1x Plasma Gun

I am using my knights box to build knights then the left over bits to create a command squad using a DV squad.

As SvenONE says, it is the crux terminatus that is the problem but you can get them on eBay. Another option is to cut the arm just below the pauldron and just swap the lower arm over.

For knights, I like seven (so six smiters) plus an interrogator chaplain, in a crusader.  That's the way to smite a baneblade or a trygon!  (and, TBH, the squad is large enough that the sheer volume of S6 attacks will beat down most targets even without smite!)

This is the exact configurationf or my Knights, including the Interrogator Chaplain for the re eolls on to hit.

My other terminators are made up so I can filed 7 man CC DW terminator squad (4 TH/SS and 3 LC, one with a Cyclone) and a 5 man Shooty DW terminator squad with a Heavy Flamer.

It's not that I don't appreciate all the tactical talk for DW Knights/Command/Terminators it's just still a bit much for me to digest yet. Doing as much reading up on the units, squads and such. So in the future it will be a taking it all in.

This is what I think may be the best plan as of right now...make 5 DW Knights from the box I have now. Take the left over bits and make a 5 man DW Command Squad and another 5 man DW Terminator Squad. 

I'm looking on ebay for 10 SM Assault Terminators, that way I have the core body for the terminators. I'll just add the bits I have to make them DW Command/Terminators. Also looking into getting the extra shoulder pads I'd need too.

So with 1 DW Terminator box set squad, 10 SM Assault Terminators and extra shoulder pads I'll have...

DW Knights

1x Flail of the Unforgiven/SS

4x Mace of absolution/SS

DW Command Squad

1x DW Champion

1x DW Apothecary

1x Standard Bearer

2x ??/?? - Not sure how these last 2 should be equipped

DW Termintor Squad

1x PS/SB
1x ??/?? - Maybe TH/SS or LC/LC model using magnets for the arms
1x ??/?? - Maybe heavy weapon model HF/PC/AC using magnets
1x CF/SB - Seems like the easy choice
1x PF/SB - Seems like the easy choice

Also thinking getting another CML would be the smart thing to do. As well as a LR Crusader for the DW Knights right?

It's worth also noting that while the box provides you with only 5 legs and backs, it provides you with 10 different torsos, could even be 11.  5 robed torsos which specifically get matched with certain legs, 5 normal torsos, and maybe 1 special torso for the champion/sergeant.  You'll also get 12 different heads I think, 5 normal term heads, 5 robed heads, 1 bare head, and 1 Apothecary terminator helmet.

The Standard Bearer can be done 1 of 2 ways, you use the Knight Master's flail staff with the banner, or you just magnetize the top of someone's armor to hold it like I do (which can also be used for your magnetized CML.  So if you make a Knight Master to make Knights you'll lose the option of holding it in the right hand.

It's worth also noting that while the box provides you with only 5 legs and backs, it provides you with 10 different torsos, could even be 11.  5 robed torsos which specifically get matched with certain legs, 5 normal torsos, and maybe 1 special torso for the champion/sergeant.  You'll also get 12 different heads I think, 5 normal term heads, 5 robed heads, 1 bare head, and 1 Apothecary terminator helmet.

The Standard Bearer can be done 1 of 2 ways, you use the Knight Master's flail staff with the banner, or you just magnetize the top of someone's armor to hold it like I do (which can also be used for your magnetized CML.  So if you make a Knight Master to make Knights you'll lose the option of holding it in the right hand.

Thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the sprue on GW website (at work and not home) so even if I got just 5 legs, backs, 5 shoulder pads and bases I could make 5 more DW from that box. I've got everything else. 

For the DW Command Squad what would recommend I make the last to DW Terminators in the squad?

Archived