I need your advice for an Eagle Eye color scheme test

So, at the very beginning of my DIY marine project I thought it'd be cool to use arm color to represent tactical, assault, devastator, etc. I debated endlessly about one or both arms, whether it would cover the shoulder pad, etc. I ended up deciding against it but I'm not really even sure why. Anyway, when I worked up the colors and decided to use helmet strips for veteran/sergeant status in homage to Rogue Trader era schemes. So there was that. Then, when I decided they were now Raven Guard successors, I toyed with the idea of using the white arms to signify veterancy. I again decided not to but the idea hasn't died. I think I might go ahead and do it, but I'm still torn on how to implement it. With the RG, the entire arm, both of them all the way to the shoulders, are white. Plus their helms. I will stick with green helmets and a white stripe, but I can't decide what to do about the arms. I've worked up a few mockups just to test, and I'd like your advice on what you think looks best.

gallery_74115_8912_609.jpg vs gallery_74115_8912_48042.jpg

gallery_74115_8912_19463.jpg vs gallery_74115_8912_30208.jpg

What do you think? Once I decide that, then I need to decide about the other arm...

Awesome. I think that settles it. Full arm. As for the termies, taking a cue from the official fluff, Raven Guard terminators have the full white arms as well, right? It's actually really hard to find it online. I know the official Vanguard Vets in Power Armor sure do, and it looks really BA. 

Was going to say full arm but it's already decided.

What does look off personally is the red. Though that's likely my eyes.

Well, this is the actual color scheme as it is right now:

med_gallery_74115_8883_203115.jpg

and

med_gallery_74115_8883_211928.jpg

Does that help?

I'm probably one of the few who prefers the white arm/green pad scheme.

Regardless, both look good so just go with the crowd.

Yeah, I can lean that way too. That's why I posted it. I do think the full arm has more impact, though, so on the TT it's probably a good thing.

Now I need to decide if the terminator weapon casings will be red or white. Ugh. It never ends.

Did I mention I'm slightly colour blind.

You know, I think you've mentioned it before but I forgot. I bet for someone who's actually profoundly color blind it'd be really tough to even tell the green and red apart, as they are almost tonally identical. 

I like the wholly white arm. If anything I would drop the red from the Termi power fist and just go for green as well! The red on the eyes and purity seals will tie them into the rest of the army

Full arm for both.

Though definitely like the green Chapter emblem on the white arm for the Terminators, given that Terminators swap arms for the Chapter emblem, you also have the option of giving Terminators their left arm in white (I'm doing the same with my own Terminators; my Chaplains/Techmarines/Librarians will have their left arm in silver to accompany the shoudler where the Chapter emblem would go, and since the Terminator versions swap shoulders for that, they will also swap arms).

But again, I think the inverted colours on your Chapter emblem looks ace.

For me, Terminator number two, but Marine number one smile.png

Now I think you're just messing with me... msn-wink.gif Honestly though, I don't think that'd be consistent enough for my tastes.

No messing smile.png I just figured that the arm on the Terminator should be white for greater impact, but not so much for regular Marines, if that makes sense. Terminators are the best of the best of the best, after all smile.png

I like the wholly white arm. If anything I would drop the red from the Termi power fist and just go for green as well! The red on the eyes and purity seals will tie them into the rest of the army

Drop the red from both? I don't know why but I always do weapon casings in red. I like the way it looks of power fists. I don't think I'll do red on the white arm, though. I thought that's what you were talking about but you said 'go for green as well.' I assume you mean on the green arm.

Full arm for both.

Though definitely like the green Chapter emblem on the white arm for the Terminators, given that Terminators swap arms for the Chapter emblem, you also have the option of giving Terminators their left arm in white (I'm doing the same with my own Terminators; my Chaplains/Techmarines/Librarians will have their left arm in silver to accompany the shoudler where the Chapter emblem would go, and since the Terminator versions swap shoulders for that, they will also swap arms).

But again, I think the inverted colours on your Chapter emblem looks ace.

That's an interesting idea, but again I think it might be visually confusing a little bit. I'd rather the terminators and PA guys look the same. If I changed anything, I might be persuaded to do both arms in white like the Raven Guard. I'm sure I'll mock up some of those as well to see how they look.

For me, Terminator number two, but Marine number one smile.png

Now I think you're just messing with me... msn-wink.gif Honestly though, I don't think that'd be consistent enough for my tastes.

No messing smile.png I just figured that the arm on the Terminator should be white for greater impact, but not so much for regular Marines, if that makes sense. Terminators are the best of the best of the best, after all smile.png

You make a fair point. I actually think the full white looks better on the PA guy as well, but I'd like to keep them consistent. I think. Now you guys have me second-guessing everything.

You make a fair point. I actually think the full white looks better on the PA guy as well, but I'd like to keep them consistent. I think. Now you guys have me second-guessing everything.

That wasn't my intention sad.png I do like the whole white arm, but I figured the suggestions due to my reasoning above. If you want consistency, then I figure whole white arms for both armour types happy.png

Faith: restored. :D But seriously, now I'm leaning toward doing colored arms for squad types again... Maybe. Like, red arms for assault, black for devastator is what I had in mind before. I think that could be too much, real fast, though. That's why I didn't do it before. It certainly has an appeal, though. If you don't believe me, look at Kobrakei's Crimson Shrikes (probably my favorite DIY marine army ever). See how cool that looks? 

If you're using Mark VII or Mark VIII armour, then perhaps one of the knee pads could be coloured to show squad type smile.png

I'm actually way into Mk. 6 armor... Thanks for the thought, though. I'm not too worried about marking them out visually as much as I just like the idea of coloring the arms. There's just something cool about the way it looks. Like I said, I think I'd do it but I'm worried it will be too much color on a squad of devvies or assault marines.

Let's try this out...

gallery_74115_8912_18753.jpggallery_74115_8912_5785.jpggallery_74115_8912_45313.jpggallery_74115_8912_38951.jpg

Thoughts? Just going off one end of the spectrum before I try one arm each.

Sorry to double post, but I wanted this one in its own box for obvious reasons. This is the test with just one arm.

gallery_74115_8912_18753.jpggallery_74115_8912_11329.jpggallery_74115_8912_44427.jpggallery_74115_8912_4503.jpg

Thoughts? One arm, two arms? Or is even one arm too much color. Remember, these will be in squads of five or ten. Do you think it tanks the color scheme too much?

Did I mention I'm slightly colour blind.

You know, I think you've mentioned it before but I forgot. I bet for someone who's actually profoundly color blind it'd be really tough to even tell the green and red apart, as they are almost tonally identical.

I'm quite colourblind, and I didn't even notice that there were red arms on your termi until I went back and looked!

Anyway, I quite like the look you've got going on here!

Archived