Battle Report: Deathwing vs Chaos 1000pts

Solrac

Hey guys,

Played a game last night in my local Good Games and thought I'd share. I really should remember to start taking photos while I play.

Deathwing 1000pts

Belial

+ Thunderhammer & Storm Shield

5 Command Squad Termies (CMD)

+ Plasma Cannon

+ Standard of Fortitude

5 Deathwing Termies (DW1)

+ Cyclone Missile Launcher

5 Deathwing Termies (DW2)

+ Cyclone Missile Launcher

Chaos 1000pts

Deamon Prince (DP)

+ Not sure what mark and what wargear (you'll find out why in a second)

5 Chaos Marines (CSM1)

+ Plasma Gun

+ Rhino 1

5 Chaos Marines (CSM2)

+ Plasma Gun

+ Rhino 2

4 Spawn (Spawn 1)

5 Spawn (Spawn 2)

Vindicator 1

Vindicator 2

Mission & Deployment

Rolled off and got Purge the Alien with Dawn of War deployment. My opponent got first turn and I failed to take the initiative. We didn't play night fighting.

My opponent deployed more to the right half of the board with the two Vindicators wedged in between the Rhinos and the spawn on each side and the Daemon Prince on the left of Rhino 1 in the middle of the table. The Chaos Marines started in the Rhinos.

(Poor diagram of Chaos deployment)

R V V R DP

S1 S2

I decided to Deathwing Assault.

Turn 1

My opponent decided not to move anything as he didn't know where I was going to drop.

I dropped in on the opposite side of his force in the middle of the table about 30" from the DP. I scored two hits on both my Deathwing Termies deepstrike and placed Belial in between them for FNP bubble. All units had perfect line of sight to the Daemon Prince and the Spawn 2 close to it. LOS for the tanks were mostly blocked by terrain.

Taking aim at the closest Spawn 2 my Plasma cannon overheated but made my save (didn't know I could have re-rolled this until later due to twin linking on the deep strike). After some bad luck off the bat, a salvo of Krak missiles from both Cyclones inflicted 4 wounds on the DP and he failed all his inv saves! Off to an awesome start!

Running Score:

DW 3 (First Blood, Slay the Warlord)

Chaos 0

Turn 2

Chaos reacted by moving Rhino 1 around the terrain that was blocking los moving 12" and Rhino 2 darting behind another building moving 12" . Vindicator 1 pivoted and moved 6" to where the DP once stood but was out of range of the closest termies. Vindicator 2 moved behind the Rhino but I had LOS to it's front armour. The Spawn 1 moved its 12" trying to get into assault next turn. Spawn 2 moved within 7" of DW squad 1 on the right but failed its charge. I managed to knock a wound off one of them with overwatch.

I shuffled up and spread out DW1 on the right closest to the spawn as they were beasts I wasn't going to outrun them but aimed to bog them down in CC. I shuffled and spread DW2 and CMD back to get a better LOS on Vindicator 2 that had come around the terrain.

DW1 fired its Storm Bolters into the Spawn 2 and its cyclone missile into Vindicator 1. I knocked another wound off Spawn 2 and a glance and pen on Vindicator 1 shaking the crew and leaving it at 1HP. CMD fired storm bolters into the spawn not scoring any wounds and the Plasma Cannon taking aim at Rhino 1 but overheating once again (not knowing I could reroll for preferred enemy). DW2 storm bolters were out of range of Spawn 2 so fired Krak missiles into Vindicator 2 scoring a glance and pen and destroying the demolisher cannon! (I let out a small sigh of relief here).

DW1 failed to charge Spawn 2 sad.png

Running Score:

DW 3 (First Blood, Slay the Warlord)

Chaos 0

Turn 3

Chaos moved Spawn 2 within an inch of DW1 and Spawn 1 moved within 9". The shaken Vindicator 1 moved up to hopefully get a shot off next turn. Rhino 2 continued around a building and now within view of DW2 while Rhino 1 moved straight towards my force alongside Spawn 1. A now useless Vindicator 2 fled away from my force to not give away another VP.

Shooting saw Rhino 2 and the plasma gun from CSM2 firing at DW2 but causing no casualties.

Spawn 2 declared a charge into DW1 first but overwatch failed to do anything. Spawn 1 failed its charge miserably. After rolling poorly for Spawn 2s random attacks the round ended with DW1 causing 6 wounds and taking no casualties in turn. Spawn 2 remained with 2 undamaged spawn and one on 1 wound.

DW2 shuffled to get in range of Spawn 1 with its Storm Bolters. CMD shuffled also to keep FNP bubble on DW1 in combat.

DW2 split fired it's Krak missiles into the damaged Vindicator 1 finally wrecking it with 2 pens on the side armour. The combined fire of DW2's Storm Bolters and CMD (with its plasma cannon finally not overheating) reducing only one of the Spawn 1s members to 1 wound.

DW1 only managed to inflict 1 wound onto Spawn 2 killing off the injured Spawn however still not taking any casualties even after rolling a 6 for random attacks (I had only managed to roll one "1" for my termie armour saves so far however made my FNP).

Running Score:

DW 4 (First Blood, Slay the Warlord)

Chaos 0

Turn 4

Spawn 1 moved within 1" of DW1. Both Rhinos moved up 6" and dropped its cargo of CSMs. The damaged Vindicator 2 ran away again to the furthest table edge away making it behind some ruins and into my deployment.

CSM2 and Rhino 2 opened fire into DW2. The combined bolter and plasma fire killing one terminator. CSM1 and Rhino 1 followed suit opening up into DW2 killing the cyclone.

Spawn 1 finally made it into DW1 to assist Spawn 2. DW1 Sergeant attacking first causing 2 wounds from Spawn 2. The combined attacks of both packs finally felling 2 terminators from DW1 but the survivors managing to make all their attacks and finishing off Spawn 2.

DW2 moved towards CSM 2 and CMD moving up to help out DW1.

DW2s Storm bolters failed to kill any traitors from CSM2 but the crack missiles split firing and causing 1 glance on Rhino 2. CMD not firing a shot in order to charge Spawn 1 and assist DW1.

DW2 managed to assault CSM2. A challenge was issued and DW1 sergeant hacked the traitor squad leader to pieces. The rest of DW1 managed to kill 2 traitors which fled 4" around the side of Rhino 2. CMD assaulted Spawn 1. Again Spawn 1 failing to cause anymore casualties. The weight of attacks from CMD and DW1 annihilated Spawn 1 and both squads consolidated 6".

Running Score:

DW 6 (First Blood, Slay the Warlord)

Chaos 1 (Linebreaker)

Turn 5

CSM2 regrouped and the entire Chaos force held their ground preparing to unleash a volley of fire into their closest targets.

CSM2 and Rhino 2 fired into DW2 with the plasma gun from CSM felling the sergeant and another terminator. CSM1 and Rhino 1 fired into DW1 causing two unsaved wounds but managed to make my FNP.

The lone DW2 terminator moved up to prepare to assault the last two traitors from CSM2. CMD moved up in order to attempt a disordered charge onto CSM1 and Rhino 1 whilst the three terminators from DW1 moved behind CMD to try and assault Rhino 2.

Lone ranger from DW2 failed to cause any wounds to CSM2. CMD fired Storm Bolters into CSM1 killing two. The plasma cannon did not overheat and fire at Rhino 1. The shot scattered slightly killing two more traitors from CMS1 and causing a glancing on Rhino 1.

Lone ranger charged CSM2 and laid the smack down on one leaving the Plasma gun wielding traitor. DW1 made it in and destroyed Rhino 2. CMD charged 10" to catch the lone traitor and two terminators managed a disordered charge onto Rhino 1. Results were a blood bath killing both the lone traitor and Rhino 1 a few times over.

My opponent conceded deciding that his last CSM would not be able to take on Lone ranger from DW2

Final Score:

DW 9 (First Blood, Slay the Warlord)

Chaos 1 (Linebreaker)

Summary:

I always go into battles very nervous because of my low model count especially since he was sporting two vindicators. I got extremely lucky with my krak missiles, I have never been that lucky with them in the past. My plan was to keep him at range until I absolutely had to run into CC which I think my plan paid off very well.

I still think the Standard of Fortitude is worth the 85pts. I think I made 5 FNP saves over the course of the game. Well worth it.

All in all though we both had a fun time playing.

Also this brought some questions I wasn't sure of that maybe you guys could help answer:

1. Does the re-roll of 1s for Preferred Enemy apply to the overheating result for the Plasma Cannon? The rulebook seemed a bit vague cause it only mentioned twin-linking as an example.

2. Does Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space marines from the Inner Circle rule refer only to the CSM or anything out of the CSM codex? E.g in the above game I didn't re-roll ones against the Daemon Prince or Chaos Spawn units because I wasn't sure.

Cheers guys hope you enjoyed.

1. if the BWB states that only twin link applies, then preferred enemy can't work

2. it applies against all unit of the codex, so vehicles, spawns or cultists suffer from prefered enemy too. We tolerate nothing that looks like a beginning of treachery... So pityless is our wrath :P

Nice victory. Not sure I can add to Avoghai's comments, but what he says sounds sensible.

It certainly does sound like your opponent struggled to deal with your tactics. Staying at range effectively neutralised the biggest threat to you (his vindicators) as did killing off his daemon prince in turn one. Confratualtions!

Nice game!

My group considers the get's hot roll as part of the "to hit" roll. Preferred enemy says to reroll 1s to hit and wound. Twin linking says reroll to hit rolls. 

IIRC, the BRB doesnt say "twin linking applies" it uses twin linking as an example setting up intent for other reroll hit rules to work as well. I.E. BS6+ 

Archived